Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maxing out a cheap guitar

Tone quester here.

This is my first post in this forum,and I'm new to the "game". I,ve owned a few higher priced guitars in my 32 years of playing, the most expensive being a Rickenbacker 360(my Beatles period), but my latest is for stock tone and playability, the best I've ever played. It's hard to believe, but it's
    a Kramer Focus 111s. You are probably stunned or think me a brick short, but it's the truth. That said, it does have some issues, or at least things that I wish
    to change. The guitar plays great unplugged. I'm not lying when I say that it's unplugged sound is quite acoustic and it has more volume and sustain than
    anything that I've played. However, I know that I can do much better working on it's amplified sound. I plan on a complete re-wiring, shielding, and replacement of pick-ups. I plan to use Bill Lawrence noiseless pick-ups(I have used them before), and install his Q-filter making it switchable. I've never done a complete circuit
    change like this before. The soldering is no problem, as I used to be an avionics electronic assembler. However the existing wiring is the most ungodly tangle of
    a rat's nest that I've ever seen. I really don't know how to get started with it. I'm not even sure that I could "draw up" the rat's nest without taking out the whole harness and trying to untangle it first. I haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram for this model of Kramer, or really much else in the way of specs. I know that I'm probably asking the impossible here, but any advice would be greatly apperciated. I'm afraid that I'm just goint to have to tear into it one wire at a time and do alot of resoldering. Tonequester.

The wiring of a guitar is mostly determined by the pickups. How many, do they have coil taps, and so on. So, Bill Lawrence should provide a wiring diagram for his new pickups and Q-Filter. You can just snip out the old wiring and throw it away, then rewire according to the instructions.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I can usually always find something to adapt from, on the Seymour Duncan wiring site.
      The 111S that came up when I did a google search was just a plain looking Strat with a pickguard.
      Maybe some variation of the 62 fender Strat?
      This may be a good place to start, then incorporate the Bill L. info into it.
      Wiring Diagram
      Wiring Diagrams - Seymour Duncan
      Good Luck,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

tonequester here.

Mr. Conner, Enzo hasn't got the common sense market cornered. Your advice was so simplictic that I can't believe a simpleton like me didn't think of it straight
        off. It was so simple that I wrote it down. A good practice for us bipolar folks. I just noticed that you are from Scotland. I hope all is well in the upper isle. Thanks for once again responding to my posts. Much thanks to big-tee. I will check out the site that you posted with beaucoup
        interest. You guys are the best thing since sliced bread. Til' next we post again.............................................tonequ ester.
        Last edited by tonequester; 06-07-2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

tonquester here

Does anybody out there know what a fair price for a "nut job"(change from PVC to Bone) is at a music store that does such work ? I've been quoted a price or
          $70.00 at my local shop. I'd make the attempt myself, but I don't have the files. A set from Stew-Mac is outrageous. Thanks for any input. tonequester.

Comment

$70 is fine.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I broke down and bought the set of nut files from Stewmac and then some bone nut material. best thing I could have ever done since I started to refret necks.

The files are well worth having since making a new nut isn't that hard. I just hate the bone nut smell when grinding the nut thinner for my strat necks.

You could always by a premade nut to install on your guitar. Just a thought...

Cheers

Comment

tonequester here.

Many thanks to JM Fahey for the not price check. I really appreciate your taking time to post !
                Slobrain. Don't want to be too long winded, but........Thanks for the advice on the Stew-Mac nut files. This time I'm going to let my music shop do it for the $70.00, but Im going to pump him for how to info(he's that kinf of guy). You can't be TOO slow to do your own re-frets. That's got to be considerably more involved than a "nut job ! This Kramer Focus 111s is a cheap axe, but it sounds great even unplugged and it "fits" me like no other ever has. I've had an Epiphone Les Paul, Gibson Blueshawk, and a Rick 360 among others and I truly like this one better. Being on disability, I have lots of spare time, and I,ve tinkered, repaired, and modified quite a number of guitars and amps in my time.
                I really enjoy it. I actually may need fretwork done on it before I'm done with it. The guy at my shop is going to give me his opinion on that when he changes nuts. I don't suppose that you would have any idea what the neck radius is on a Focus ? My guy doesn't have any radius guages. I guess that he doesn't do re-frets. I may have to give you a
                "holler" if it needs, or will be needing a re-fret soon. I may have to get the necessary tools and do my first re-fret after all. Sorry to go on and on. Thanks again for posting and'
                the advice. Here's hopeing all your endeavors meet with success ! tonequester.

Comment

Working...
                X