Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favourite string cutting tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one I have looks very much the same too. Now I just need to keep my wife from borrowing them! (She cuts wire for her gardening projects)
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

tonequester here.

It gets old ruining tools. Ive never found regular cutters that stand up to the hardness of steel strings. You mention getting close to the tuning peg, so I take it you're talking about cutting the excess string off after installation of a new set. Believe it or not, gripping the string by hand, or if remnent is not long enough, by pliers, one can use a Dremel tool with a small common aluminum oxide grinding bit, it works well, and the special cutting disks work even better. One does need to take some care, but it works a lot smoother than you might think. Just a light touch is all that's needed. If one uses a cutting disk, use the fiber impregnated ones, not the shatter prone/easily broken kind.
      Every set of cutters I've ever tried to cut strings with,have been quickly damaged, and became useless over time. Just a suggestion. Best Wishes Steve. tonequester.

Comment

Wire cutters are designed and sold for cutting copper and aluminum, to be price competitive they use steel that is correct for that job. You can buy "Cable Shears" that will be rated for steel. I have some that were made for bike brake cables that work great on the bench but I just use the $3 harbor freight diag cutters in my guitar case.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          Title says it all really. Whatever guitar strings are made of, it seems hard enough to destroy regular wire cutters and cheap cutting pliers. I'm currently using a set of Park Tool cutters intended for bike brake cables, but the jaws are so big that it's hard to get a neat cut near the tuning peg. There must be some better tool that you pro guitar techs all know about.
          Found this post a little late probably, but here is what I have been using and they're great. No problems at all. I knew about these because my dad was a Jeweler. I have been using these for a year with setups most days and there's still not a nick on the blades yet.

Hard-Wire Cutter | National Jeweler's Supplies
          www.sonnywalton.com
          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

I used to use a pair of Klein's linesman pliers, but I grew tired of stabbing my fingertips on the little sting that was left. Now I prefer to just wind all the excess wire / string into small loops. I think it looks cleaner / nicer and also prevents finger bruising. I can post a picture when I get home of my guitars.
            My Builds:
            5E3 Deluxe Build
            5F1 Champ Build
            6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

I've just used a quality pair of wire cutters I purchased a long time ago at some hardware store. They cut through all strings including bass strings no problem with a neat cut. I've found the cutting edges on pliers and small wire cutters don't work well.

Greg

Comment

In case there is interest in the method I mentioned in post #2...

Self quoting from post #2 of this thread "For a final 'cut' after stringing up I just bend the string back & forth until it breaks off neat. The remaining stub is much closer to the string wrap stack than I can cut. This gives a very clean final result with little chance of catching on anything or stabbing your finger later."

Attached are a couple of photos illustrating the results obtained both cutting with a tool and the wiggle snap off method. The method works well for all six guitar strings. The resulting stub is captured under the string wrap and it doesn't even snag a polishing cloth. To look at it you may think that the string could come loose but all sizes do hold well. The steps of the stringing technique are:
                1. String through hole
                2. Bend end 90 degrees
                3. Keep bending the string end around the tuner shaft and route it under itself
                4. Pull the free end straight up perpendicular to the face of the head
                3. Wind to capture the bent up end as winding stack goes down toward head
                4. Take hold of the string end and wiggle it about until it breaks off.

Note: Don’t break off any of the strings until you are completely done, tuned up and satisfied with the overall setup. If this method has any downside it’s that you shouldn’t loosen the strings back up other than for normal tuning.

Regards,
                Tom
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wittgenstein View Post
                  I used to use a pair of Klein's linesman pliers, but I grew tired of stabbing my fingertips on the little sting that was left. Now I prefer to just wind all the excess wire / string into small loops. I think it looks cleaner / nicer and also prevents finger bruising. I can post a picture when I get home of my guitars.
                  Sorry for the bad phone pictures... I plan on buying a camera soon. Here is my acoustic and electric guitar with the strings uncut.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43492441@N05/7918292228/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43492441@N05/7918295278/

Click image for larger version

Name:	string.png
Views:	1
Size:	953.8 KB
ID:	825895
                  My Builds:
                  5E3 Deluxe Build
                  5F1 Champ Build
                  6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

Originally posted by Wittgenstein View Post
                    Sorry for the bad phone pictures... I plan on buying a camera soon. Here is my acoustic and electric guitar with the strings uncut.

guitar strings | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

guitar | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19895[/ATTACH]
                    Why do you leave all that string on there? Sorry, but that looks ridiculous.

I cut mine off close to the tuner shaft and then bend it down. I never ever poke my fingers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3226.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	825956

I can get them closer, but there's no need for it.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      Why do you leave all that string on there? Sorry, but that looks ridiculous.
                      I find it adds a nice jangle-y effect....

I vaguely remember reading an interview with a bluegrass guy who broke strings at the bridge so often, he figured out a way to "fix" strings in the middle of a tune. He would leave extra string at the peghead like in the pic. When a string broke, he'd pull string from the tuner, tie a knot at the broken end, and wedge the knot into the bridge with a bridge pin. Or something like that.
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Hey David. Tonequester here. I'm with you on trimming the strings close, and bending them. I try to keep them from scratching the headstock. I've punctured fingers and thumb
                        before I began to do this. Your picture looks like it could be mine ! Have a great day/night . tonequester.

Comment

I like Fender's Safe-T-Post keys or whatever they're called. You cut the string to length before stringing it, but there's no left over end to poke you.
                          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                          - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                            I like Fender's Safe-T-Post keys or whatever they're called. You cut the string to length before stringing it, but there's no left over end to poke you.
                            Is that the tuners, you stick the wire in the hole straight down, then turn?
                            I always thought that a neat idea.
                            T
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Is that the tuners, you stick the wire in the hole straight down, then turn?
                              I always thought that a neat idea.
                              T
                              Yep, those are the ones. There is no string end left sticking out.
                              - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                                I find it adds a nice jangle-y effect....

I vaguely remember reading an interview with a bluegrass guy who broke strings at the bridge so often, he figured out a way to "fix" strings in the middle of a tune. He would leave extra string at the peghead like in the pic. When a string broke, he'd pull string from the tuner, tie a knot at the broken end, and wedge the knot into the bridge with a bridge pin. Or something like that.
                                It used to be a popular thing to do with Floyd Rose bridges too. If you broke a string, you would unravel some more and re-secure it at the bridge.
                                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                                X