No announcement yet.

Pickup wiring problem.. please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I forgot to add that. Sorry. I did wire a link between the volume and tone pot.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftySixSoul View Post
      Yes, I forgot to add that. Sorry. I did wire a link between the volume and tone pot.
      Sounds like your switch is wired wrong, and I still don't see the ground between the Pots.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Sounds like your switch is wired wrong, and I still don't see the ground between the Pots.
        I did wire a ground between the pots but forgot to add it to the diagram. I think you're right about the switch. I don't know if it's being a lefthanded guitar makes it different, but I dont think I'm wiring it right. The diagram is accurate for the switch wiring, though.

Comment

Here's another diagram to compare to.
          STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for CRL 3-way Lever Switch
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            They will work either way, You can wire them either way, but flipped is how most lefthand guitars come...
            Don't try to understand us, just accept us!
            Do you have to use antilog vs log pots, or always use linear....
            I know- don't try to understand.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
              Do you have to use antilog vs log pots, or always use linear....
              I know- don't try to understand.
              That is a good point.
              I was waiting on you to think about the audio taper!
              I usually use the Audio Pots, and the taper is probably wrong, but don't notice it.
              I guess I'm used to it.
              Linear would probably be better.
              They are both cheap.
              I usually run my guitar Vol on 10, or high, so no effect anyway.
              I always test Pickups with vol on 10, and control the vol with the amp vol.
              That about covers it!
              T
              Terry

Comment

When you plug in the guitar cord and get the loud buzz, can you turn if down with the volume control? Does the tone control work?

If this is a standard style Tele with a metal control panel, all of the pots are connected via the mounting plate. It really doesn't have to have a ground wire connecting the pot shells.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                  If this is a standard style Tele with a metal control panel, all of the pots are connected via the mounting plate. It really doesn't have to have a ground wire connecting the pot shells.
                  True, but I still want a hard soldered Ground.
                  IMO You want the control panel ground, as a bonus Auxiliary ground.
                  The way I test guitar controls, is with a guitar cord, guitar and DMM.
                  Set the DMM to a 20k or higher scale.
                  Plug the cord into the jack, turn the Vol Pot on high, and flip the selector switch to the pickup tested.
                  Then read across the Cord, you should be able to read the DCR of the Pickup.
                  turn the vol pot up and down and you will see the resistance change.
                  Flip to the other pickup, and repeat the process.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X