leave 8mm of screw protrude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leave 8mm of screw protrude?

So I got a Suhr Doug Aldrich pickup (53mm / bridge) and it has 8mm of its 3mm screw protruding out the bottom.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Suhr Aldrich.png Views:	0 Size:	346.3 KB ID:	965455
    so they used a 20mm screw where a 12mm would have been near flush with baseplate. People wonder about trimming these (naturally) but word from Suhr is DO NOT (touch the) trim!! it will change the tone markedly. They recommend drilling 6x holes on the rout bottom to receive the screws on installation.

Of course I'm thinking maybe I need 40mm screws, and maybe only on some strings, maybe with brass nuts on the guitar back and a full pole through design??

Opinions? Seriously what would trimming be expected to do?

Doug Aldrich?
    it will be less metal
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      Doug Aldrich?
      it will be less metal
      touche
      Click image for larger version

Name:	monkey-pirate.gif
Views:	132
Size:	7.47 MB
ID:	965459

Comment

Most guys have screws laying around.
        Change those out and see how they sound with the shorter screws.
        If you don't like the sound of the shorter screws, put the long ones back in.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 07-26-2022, 04:02 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
          Opinions? Seriously what would trimming be expected to do?
          AFAIK: a slightly lower overall inductance + a wee bit higher Q factor + a tad modified mag field, coupling & balance between coils... as well as altered transients: I think to remember a slower attack but a higher dynamic range with shortened poles in some measurements done here. Very subtle but still noticeable IMHO. YMMV. :-)
          Last edited by freefrog; 07-29-2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X