B500k pot for epi les paul classic size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B500k pot for epi les paul classic size

I need to swap the B500k pot tone in my epi les paul classic. Does anyone know the metric size and shaft type?

Do you not have the original pot to measure and view shaft type?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The Dude, the replacement pot just arrived. However i noticed that the stock one still works. The only issue is that if you pull the shaft it tends to detach itself from the potentiometer body. In this sense why would i worry on changing the pot if it does its function??

Comment

Question:
        "......why would i worry on changing the pot if it does its function??"

Answer:
        "......if you pull the shaft it tends to detach itself from the potentiometer body."
        Last edited by The Dude; 01-11-2024, 02:05 AM.

Comment

That’s like a malfunction? If my first name was Mal it would explain me very much. Audio technology sounds like drug references. The pot. Better check the roach. But when it’s smoked it’s time for more.
          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

The tone pot works. The thing is that the shaft tends to pull out when you grab the knob.

Comment

Originally posted by Jquijano View Post
              The Dude, the replacement pot just arrived. However i noticed that the stock one still works. The only issue is that if you pull the shaft it tends to detach itself from the potentiometer body. In this sense why would i worry on changing the pot if it does its function??
              I can't figure out if you are a really bad tech or a really good troll.

The new pot doesn't have this unique self detaching feature does it? Replace the old pot.

Comment

Its not a detaching feature. If you grab it by the shaft it tends to pull out. I mean its flexible.

Comment

Okay I get it. It has play. Probably not a good thing and I would replace it based on your description. Regardless if it still works.
                  When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Pot broken? Replace it. It doen't matter if it's a perfect fit as this isn't a collectible instrument. As long as it fits well enough to function. Bushing length will be most important so it "looks" right with the other pots. Sitting at the same height. If that would bother you.

Looking at "upgrade kits" for the Epi Les Pauls I see that many use the 3/8 wide bushing. So ANY bushing width will be fine. Washers can handle things for stability if it's a narrower bushing and you'll never notice if the pot is off center of the hole by 1/32 of an inch.

And... I'd probably use an audio taper pot because for me the adjustment ratio is more intuitive.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Pixel View Post
                      I can't figure out if you are a really bad tech or a really good troll......
                      I'm starting to wonder myself. In the Red Knob Twin thread (https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-knob-twin-pcb), he wants to replace perfectly good parts without even testing them. In this thread, he doesn't want to replace known defective parts. The "logic" defies me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        The "logic" defies me.
                        Well this statement implies that one mans logic isn't necessarily another mans logic. But logic is logic. Two people with the same information applying logic to the same problem should come to the same conclusions.

In a perfect world.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post

I'm starting to wonder myself. In the Red Knob Twin thread (https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-knob-twin-pcb), he wants to replace perfectly good parts without even testing them. In this thread, he doesn't want to replace known defective parts. The "logic" defies me.
                          How do you test a filter cap with a cheap digital multimeter? Is this even possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Jquijano View Post

How do you test a filter cap with a cheap digital multimeter? Is this even possible?
                            You asked this question in your other thread already. You said that you have a fluke 117, read the manual.
                            Last edited by Pixel; 01-17-2024, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I used to do repairs for a music store that didn't have anyone that could work on tube amps. When they finally got a new tech that had a degree in EE but only ever worked with solid state, I agreed to help support him remotely for a while. He called me twice on a no-sound issue with different amps and had already put new output transformers in them which didn't fix the problem.

Uh...

This poster is starting to feel like that.
                              --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X