B500k pot for epi les paul classic size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
    I used to do repairs for a music store that didn't have anyone that could work on tube amps. When they finally got a new tech that had a degree in EE but only ever worked with solid state, I agreed to help support him remotely for a while. He called me twice on a no-sound issue with different amps and had already put new output transformers in them which didn't fix the problem.

Uh...

This poster is starting to feel like that.
    Too many people drink the Kool Aid for sure. A SS tech out of his environment and just following IT advice could make these mistakes easily. Well, that is if they don't want to learn anything about tubes. I guess I can sympathize because I haven't learned enough about transistor circuits. Bottom line is that electronics is electronics. (<period) The components and circuits respond to a set of rules, Learning things rote (as I have to this point) whether you are SS or tube and relative to only what is learned in either arena leaves a huge gap in understanding. I'm fighting it in both directions but trying to find my way Still,.. It might explain the response of unskilled techs to replace output transformers based solely on what they read on line.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Still,.....whether you are a SS tech, tube tech, whatever... Replacing a part without testing it doesn't make sense, especially for someone who supposedly has a degree in EE, and especially such an expensive part.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Still,.....whether you are a SS tech, tube tech, whatever... Replacing a part without testing it doesn't make sense, especially for someone who supposedly has a degree in EE, and especially such an expensive part.
        It depends on your point of view. If you are the amp owner this is not a good methodology. However, the parts house likes it. The tech is paid by the hour. The Rashomon effect in action.

Comment

Yup the amp will eat up all your ability to make profit on a repair. If you went to a doctor and they never weighed you, never checked your vitals or diagnosed what is causing your symptoms then run away. It’s really simple to diagnose a fault and really complex to just throw parts at a problem. You might actually cause more harm than good if you can’t solder well. So go slow for the newbie crowd but it’s not rocket science either. So just enjoy taking the time to learn how to diagnose a problem and fix it. There is more to a circuit than just its components. There are connection points that can become unreliable or just in need of cleaning. Half the time it is just that simple.
          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
            Okay I get it. It has play. Probably not a good thing and I would replace it based on your description. Regardless if it still works.
            Ok the new pot also has a little bit of play when you pull it , if so i really dont know if i should or not replace it. Here is a pic of the new pot where i am holding it and showing a slight play.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jquijano View Post

Ok the new pot also has a little bit of play when you pull it , if so i really dont know if i should or not replace it. Here is a pic of the new pot where i am holding it and showing a slight play.
              A little flex upward is normal. The brush is usually an array of spring tensioned fingers. A design that would avoid that little flex you notice would require bearing tolerances that would make potentiometers prohibitively expensive. You really don't pull up on the pot in use so it shouldn't matter. The new pot isn't abnormal or defective.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Well play is play. It has to be destroyed! Just kidding. Well now you know if there is a difference. If no difference then why change it out. Then again you may just not like that type of pot especially if you use a heavy hand on it. Some people search out manufacturers to get the ones that are near perfect for them. Those people are highly obsessed and spend money like it’s a disease to get rid of. Either way it’s nice when the potentiometer is really smooth with little to no play, especially on a guitar.

Also I have to ask what you mean by play as well? I imagine you pull the knurled shaft out a tiny bit. Like it was made loose in that way. Feels cheap?
                When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Play is play. However it does not affect its tone function.

Comment

Is "pull my potentiometer" like the "pull my finger" joke?

If it concerns you then replace the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jquijano View Post
                      Play is play. However it does not affect its tone function.
                      Well if money is no object Go with Bournes. Shouldn't be any complaints about them except price. But really tire kicking on a pot that is not installed? install it then check for play
                      nosaj
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

FWIW Bourns construction on their "commercial" potentiometers is EXACTLY the same as any run of the mill east Asian pot. I don't detect any significant shaft play on the dual gang pots but the single gang pots do it just the same as any other. Probably a design parameter for the dual gang criteria? I haven't used their 82 series. It's actually a sought after model and part of their "industrial panel control" line rather than their "commercial panel control" line. I guess they were used some really top end guitars... Since I haven't used them I can't say about play in the shaft. I do know they're only 5/8" and square in shape. Sort of poo poo's the whole genre crapping on mini pots now doesn't it? Fickle bunch, guitar players.

There are plenty of stupid expensive pots out there made to last a lifetime. Completely sealed and no play in the shaft. I haven't seen them in guitar values and tapers but I haven't looked that hard. Mostly because it doesn't matter. And most of them have a limited "electrical angle" compared to the more cheaply made pots used in normal guitars. Meaning that people who understand things will be using them and less apt to complain about what they don't do balanced against what they do. Nuff said about that.

Guitar pots need to have 300* mechanical rotation to feel normal. Actual electrical rotation will vary but is typically greater than what's available with the more expensive industrial pots. And this is actually important because it gives guitarists more sloppy room for adjustments. The market wants what it wants. Be it vintage mojo or operating characteristics or value and taper availability the guitarists choice is full size pots (24mm) in the standard values and tapers with a 300* mechanical rotation. (<period) So that's what the market offers. All the loose pots meeting these criteria that "I" have on hand do exhibit a little upward play in the shaft. (<period) The only pots I have that don't are the Bourns dual gangs and push pull pots. So there you go.

JM2C

Comment

FWIW I said Bourns but i meant allesandro (the ones that look like a wah pot sealed)
                          nosaj
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Ah. Yep. I think they're the same as PEC? The Alessandro pots are vintage and crazy expensive but the plain labled PEC models are the same, currently made and can be had for under fifty bucks

Comment

Working...
                            X