No announcement yet.

P90 and A8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I tested the neck P90 with two All Star Magn Aln 8 magnets (long). The tone was not very much more trebly as compared to the Aln 5. A bit more strength though. I should have recorded the two setups - changing mags takes maybe 10 min - I tend to forget a lot in that time.
    The most notable change was that the PU squealed a LOT, I could not ad a booster in front of the amp (BF DR Vol at 5) and keep the volume at max.

Would it be wrong with just one Aln 8? Why are there two – and why opposing fields?

Bjorn

Comment

Hello Björn,
      if you want a fat P-90 for the bridge you should use two A8 magnets and a fatter magnetwire.I use 0,065 an it works great.
      cheers
      david

Comment

Originally posted by orangedrop View Post
        Well I tested the neck P90 with two All Star Magn Aln 8 magnets (long). The tone was not very much more trebly as compared to the Aln 5. A bit more strength though. I should have recorded the two setups - changing mags takes maybe 10 min - I tend to forget a lot in that time.
        The most notable change was that the PU squealed a LOT, I could not ad a booster in front of the amp (BF DR Vol at 5) and keep the volume at max.

Would it be wrong with just one Aln 8? Why are there two – and why opposing fields?

Bjorn
        Probably not a good solid contact with the magnets and pole pieces would be my guess on the squealing, or just really lose windings but I'm leaning more towards the mags being a little loose..

Comment

The magnets have to be oposing. Otherwise the Pole screw wouldnt have a major discernable pole direction thus changing the magnetic flux of the pickup. When the strings of the guitar were hit the magnetic field would be weak and completely different from if there was one strong uni-directional magnetic field. I've never tried doing it the other way, so it might still "pickup" noise, but likely it would suck. By putting the two like poles together you are boosting the magnetic transfer to the pole screws.

I could be wrong here and will gladly be corrected by someone with more experience than I.

Comment

You have the same poles facing in so that the pole pieces are that same polarity... North for instance. If you had the two magnets attracting the pole pieces would be in the neutral space between North and South, and you wouldn't get much sound at all.

So if you have both North poles of the magnets facing the pole pieces they direct the North field up towards the strings. The return path is via the South end of the magnets.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Bjorn
              A8s by their nature aren't trebely. Their highs are similiar to A2. Smooth and rounded. A8 are pretty much balanced across the frequency spectrum. Really no one area (e.g., mids, lows, ...etc) is more dominate or is more pronounced than the other. It's still a great mag though.
              www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Bjorn
                Take a look at Steve Kersting's FEMM simulations and imagine how it might look different with one magnet.

Comment

Guys - thank you for your answers. I'm absolutely a bit wiser and I do feel welcome here . Soon I'll probably have to buy my own winding gear

Bjorn

Comment

Working...
                  X