No announcement yet.

Lollar Pickup Winding book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well the first edition was 49 pages and the third was 68 or 69- everything added was about actually making pickups and also one part about the machine- how to make a cam for autotraversing that is exactly like what they used on the leesona and other similar old style winders.
    I intended on giving the reader as much as i was willing to about manipulating the wire and the machine and how to build pickups but i didnt intend on giving any formulations out- thats up to you to take the basic tools and figure out what you want to do with them.

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
      well the first edition was 49 pages and the third was 68 or 69- everything added was about actually making pickups and also one part about the machine- how to make a cam for autotraversing that is exactly like what they used on the leesona and other similar old style winders.
      I intended on giving the reader as much as i was willing to about manipulating the wire and the machine and how to build pickups but i didnt intend on giving any formulations out- thats up to you to take the basic tools and figure out what you want to do with them.
      Sounds good to me. I'm sure you burned through enough wire figuring out your own recipes. Others have done the same, and new winders should as well. I do understand people asking on the forum about the one-off odd ball pickups however.
      www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

I just looked a little closer at my copy and I have the second edition, 62 pages. It's enough information that I have not used another brand pickup other than my own since I bought the book, 5 or 6 years. Thanks again Jason for having enough balls and ambition to even write a book.

Comment

Thanks

I saw that auction on ebay and was thinking I will never see that book. You(Jason) definitely set great example for business owners..

Comment

I'll try to keep an eye on your site, Jason, and an eye on this thread (not an independent eye on each at the same time however for fear of becoming cross eyed). This is definitely something I'd pay for -- not interested in your recipes, so to speak, because you have the kitchen to cook already, and I hear they are very tasty recipes indeed, so I can buy them if necessary -- but I totally agree with giving the "fishing rod" to the would-be fisherman. I can spend some time doing this on my own. That is A-OK. I have some bench space that is ready to receive or create a winding machine of some kind, and some help in getting to that point is just what the doctor ordered.

Comment

Its not a book of recipes. Its a "how to" build a winder, how to make forbon bobbins from scratch. There's some basic pickup designs there but they are real generic and not what Jason sells. there is nothing in there about how to make good sounding pickups, you have to do your own work for that
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                Its not a book of recipes. Its a "how to" build a winder, how to make forbon bobbins from scratch. There's some basic pickup designs there but they are real generic and not what Jason sells. there is nothing in there about how to make good sounding pickups, you have to do your own work for that
                After buying the two pickup books currently in existence, which really have no information on building pickups, the change would be refreshing. Since I just started building my first humbucker set I had many questions that I had to figure out for myself. For the most part I have found more information scattered about the web. A single book just dedicated to putting together pickups would be a much better reference book for new pickup builders like myself who just want the basics. Once we can assemble a pickup the magic can happen later.

Anyone who has read this forum knows no one gives out any pickup secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodenspoke View Post
                  Anyone who has read this forum knows no one gives out any pickup secrets.
                  Well, as a hobbyist, I've got to disagree. The pros here may not be giving away everything, but they've certainly provided enough info freely here (sources, metal composition tips, winding patterns, etc) to cut way back on the iterations a newbie like me would need to make some great sounding pickups.

There may be times where you'll be gently reminded that this forum has a robust search function...

Of course, the stuff that they have shared is, by definition, no longer a secret.
                  Last edited by Dave Kerr; 05-01-2009, 01:57 PM. Reason: pithy last line added

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
                    Of course, the stuff that they have shared is, by definition, no longer a secret.
                    Wouldn't that mean they don't give away any secrets? I think you are confusing public knowledge of things you learned on this forum as being secrets revealed.

In fact the great secret is there is probably no real secret at all. They just did the time and developed a system that works for them. As you can clearly read on this forum(in any search) sound is subjective to the individual. The fact that a mystique surrounds certain builders does not mean those pickups sound good to everyone. Then you have to add in the instrument itself which does impart some differences to each pickup.

I equate this all to some of the U Tube videos I have seen for pickups where some well known bozo cranks up the volume distorts the sound and proclaims its a great pickup. How can you even tell, but people believe it to be true. Some of the reasons I decided to start building my own is I find some of the pickups available from manufacturers just don't fit in with the instruments I build. It may take me a few dozen tries to get it right but I will eventually.

Comment

Wouldn't that mean they don't give away any secrets? I think you are confusing public knowledge of things you learned on this forum as being secrets revealed.

In fact the great secret is there is probably no real secret at all. They just did the time and developed a system that works for them. As you can clearly read on this forum(in any search) sound is subjective to the individual. The fact that a mystique surrounds certain builders does not mean those pickups sound good to everyone. Then you have to add in the instrument itself which does impart some differences to each pickup.

I equate this all to some of the U Tube videos I have seen for pickups where some well known bozo cranks up the volume distorts the sound and proclaims its a great pickup. How can you even tell, but people believe it to be true. Some of the reasons I decided to start building my own is I find some of the pickups available from manufacturers just don't fit in with the instruments I build. It may take me a few dozen tries to get it right but I will eventually.
                      It's all formulas... if you take three guys and give them the same PAF style parts, they can easily come up with three different sounding pickups.

Then if you let them use different parts, they can come up with more.

So the "secret" stuff would be how they wind the coil. That's learned by trail and error, which is why most people wont tell what they do. Plus once you know how to wind the coil, you can make a fairly close copy.

I guess it's kind of like cooking...

I think everyone here is quiet generous with information. I learned a lot back when we were at the old forum and I was winding my first pickups. I asked questions, and even though I was doing something quiet different from everyone else, it did help me develop new ideas.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Wouldn't that mean they don't give away any secrets? I think you are confusing public knowledge of things you learned on this forum as being secrets revealed..
                        Yes, that's why I pointed out that semantic distinction of 'secret' from the gist of my reply to your literal comment. And I don't think that I'm confused, many pros here have been very forthcoming in sharing lots of stuff I've seen nowhere else.

Examples:
                        - how to set up a pin router operation for replicating Forbon bobbins (search around for Jonson's photo essay)
                        - wind counts, magnet and bobbin specs for classic pickups (Lollar, Spence, Jonson, Possum, Schwab and many others have shared their observations after dissecting old pickups)

Much of this, along with all the patent research, supplier info, etc, might literally be public info. But it's a hell of a lot easier to gather here than anywhere else, with the added benefit of having some enlightening alien anal probe discussion.

Comment

Now is a wonderful time to do things like make your own pickups, and even guitars! There has never been so much information out there.

Just as Jason said, the first time I tried winding some pickups was back in the late 70's, and all I had to use was a home made winder that I just cobbled together without having even a photo of a coil winder to look at, a cheap analog VOM and soldering iron from Radio Shack, some old pickups to use for wire and parts, and an article in Guitar Player magazine on pickups by Bill Lawrence!

Now you can buy parts, and wire and even winders. And even though there are not many books on the subject, you can find web sites and videos showing how to build winders and make pickups and all sorts of things.

And forums like this! When I decided to start doing lutherie again, it was great to find MIMF and AMPAGE.

But you know, even if you just follow the Stew-Mac directions and wind 5000 turns on each coil of a PAF bobbin, you will get a good sounding pickup. Then you just have to experiment if you want something different.
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
                            Yes, that's why I pointed out that semantic distinction of 'secret' from the gist of my reply to your literal comment. And I don't think that I'm confused, many pros here have been very forthcoming in sharing lots of stuff I've seen nowhere else.
                            As far as I know this is the only pickup discussion forum, otherwise I would not be a member, either would the members and builders you mention.

I am not arguing with the information contained in this forum and the generosity of others who do share information. If they didnt then their would be very little to gain from being a member. I will say it again these are no longer secrets if they have been shared with everyone. And my last comment on the statement.

Jason I await the release of your book, as I would like to add it to my collection. Kudos for realizing the need.

Comment

I was thinking about all of this as I was on vacation. Thanks to you Jason, I now wind pickups. You may or may not see that as a good thing, but just the idea that a guy could modify tone and create something amazing had never occurred to me. I'm glad you are going to re-issue your book, and will buy a copy.
                              Shannon Hooge
                              NorthStar Guitar
                              northstarguitar.com

Comment

And that is the way it should be. But some folks still expect to have everything handed to them on a silver plater without working to get it.

Put in the time, effort, and the money and it will all come together.

Time=experiementing/researching Effort=sourcing better parts Money= setting up shop with good tools and equipment.
                                www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Working...
                                X