Tachometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer?

Has anyone rigged a tachometer to their winder using a reed switch as a trigger? I assume it could be done. I already use a reed switch for the counter.
    They don't make them like they used to... We do.
    www.throbak.com
    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
    Has anyone rigged a tachometer to their winder using a reed switch as a trigger? I assume it could be done. I already use a reed switch for the counter.
    Yes, it can be done. Many counters will do this.

If the duty cycle (on/(off+on)) is approximately 50%, many digital voltmeters (DMMs) will measure the speed in rotations per second (frequency in Hertz). Multiply by 60 to get rpm.

I do almost the same thing, measuring the frequency of the change-pulse train from the optical encoder on the bobbin axle. There are 500 change pulses per rotation, so multiply indicated frequency (on the DMM) by 60/500 to yield rpm.

Comment

Thanks Joe! I never thought about using a DMM. I will give that a try.
      www.throbak.com

Comment

Thanks again Joe. I tried this with my DMM today and it worked like a charm. It confirmed that the method I was using of using to nail down 1200 RPM was working. I have been using strobe effect of the 60hz overhead florescent light by adjusting the winder speed until the bobbins appeared to stand still to get 1200 RPM.
        www.throbak.com

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
          Thanks again Joe. I tried this with my DMM today and it worked like a charm. It confirmed that the method I was using of using to nail down 1200 RPM was working. I have been using strobe effect of the 60hz overhead florescent light by adjusting the winder speed until the bobbins appeared to stand still to get 1200 RPM.
          do you have any pictures of assembly? This is a great topic

Comment

I don't have any pictures but it is really very simple. I'm using a reed switch to trigger a Red Lion Cub 5 (maybe a Cub 4, I always forget, the winder is at my office). The counter is lithium battery powered. All I did to get the RPM was to connect my DMM to a couple of leads I added to where the reed switch goes into the counter. I wanted to pinpoint 1200 RPM so I turned the DMM on and set it to hz/frequency and once it read 20 I knew I was at 1200 RPM since the reed switch is closed only once per revolution. The reed switch is triggered by a small rare earth magnet epoxied into the base plate of my tail stock winder.
            www.throbak.com

Comment

Working...
            X