Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ModulusMK View Post
    What exactly are eddy currents?
    See Eddy current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Note that eddy currents are not restricted to the surface, although they are often found near a surface, especially in pickups.

Comment

• There are several J & JB pickups on E-bay right now.. All showing thier DC res.. Looks to be in the 7.75 range.

The guy who bought lanes shop seems to be selling off anything in the shop except for the winders! :> He says new MM's are coming around october.

Comment

• Back to the xray problem. I'll bet someone with the TSA could get you a very nice colorized digital print using a very powerful xray scanner if you told them it might be a bomb. You could have a couple decades in a supermax facility to study it.

Comment

• You know you joke about that, but thats not a bad idea. Those bag screeners are amazing. I dont think they work by x-ray, but rather by ultrasound. I cant imagine people being that close to very strong x-rays day in and day out.

BTW, David, are you OK with me having those pups for about 2-3 more weeks or do you need them back right away?

Comment

• Originally posted by belwar View Post
            You know you joke about that, but thats not a bad idea. Those bag screeners are amazing. I dont think they work by x-ray, but rather by ultrasound. I cant imagine people being that close to very strong x-rays day in and day out.
            They are X-ray machines, not ultrasound, despite the colorful images.

The image colors code chemical composition (deduced in various ways from X-ray scattering and/or fluorescence at various X-ray wavelengths). One thing they look for is Nitrogen, a major component of all standard explosives. But also a major components of proteins, so a ham looks like explosives.

The recent regulations about carrying liquids onto airliners came about because of the uncovering of a plot to bomb airliners with explosives made from liquids mixed on board, the problem being that these liquids contained no nitrogen (so were invisible to the X-ray machines) and were not a chemical compound the sniffers were trained to. It almost worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
              ...so a ham looks like explosives.
              That's how your heart sees it too!

That's was fascinating info Joe, thanks. (in a Johnny Carson voice) I did not know that.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Bel, keep em as long as you need em, they've been sitting in a drawer for 10 years...

Comment

• OK, using similar ideas to Lane Poor and even Q-Tuner, here's a sidewinder with air coils:

SGD Sidewinder prototype

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    OK, using similar ideas to Lane Poor and even Q-Tuner, here's a sidewinder with air coils:

SGD Sidewinder prototype

Nice sounding pickup, closer to Q-Tuners. But the very high end is still weak and mids are too pronounced for my ear.
                    Single coil I guess?
                    What wire is on this pickup and number of turns if is not a secret?
                    Ceramic or Alnico?

Comment

Nice sounding pickup, closer to Q-Tuners. But the very high end is still weak and mids are too pronounced for my ear.
                      Single coil I guess?
                      Ceramic or Alnico?
                      The bobbins are made from soda biscuits, and the wire is a coat hanger unfurled!

Comment

Single coil I guess?
                        Thanks. They sound flat to me. That's how the bass sounds unplugged. I'd like them to be a little warmer.

No, it's a sidewinder humbucker.

Ceramic or Alnico?
                        It's a neo magnet... that's why they sound more like Q-Tuners, and the rest is secret.

Comment

• Originally posted by belwar View Post
                          The bobbins are made from soda biscuits, and the wire is a coat hanger unfurled!
                          I SAID IT WAS A SECRET!

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            Thanks. They sound flat to me. That's how the bass sounds unplugged. I'd like them to be a little warmer.

No, it's a sidewinder humbucker.

It's a neo magnet... that's why they sound more like Q-Tuners, and the rest is secret.
                            Ok, that's fair.
                            Maybe the response line is flat but to our ears I think the highs have to be more pronounced and reverse for mids to sound flat IMO. That way and plus the addition of ceramic would make them warmer. Again IMO

Comment

Ok, that's fair.
                              Maybe the response line is flat but to our ears I think the highs have to be more pronounced and reverse for mids to sound flat IMO. That way and plus the addition of ceramic would make them warmer. Again IMO
                              I agree. I hear that I want to have less upper mids. They make it a tad harsh.

I tried it in a band situation last night, and it sounded a lot smoother through an amp.

But I know what I want to do next to warm them up. This was the first prototype, so I'm happy they actually work!

I'll tweak them now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• Resonance peak on the MM5 is 8.29khz.

Just sayin.

bel.

Comment

Working...
                                X