1018 steel polepieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1018 steel polepieces

Anybody know a source for 1018 humbucker/P90 poles? And a good source for gold poles in general? The American Music Supply (or whatever the company is called) seems to use an alloy that's even brighter than the nickel poles I have, believe it or not.

I wonder if the thickness of the nickel plating would have a significant effect on the sound? Is the plating always worn off on the old ones?
    Sometime platers will lay down a layer of copper before the final nickel, especially if they are going to plate with a chrome or gold option as well.

I'm willing to bet that the plating changes the sound more than 0.1% of carbon content

Comment

Do you mean Guitar Parts USA? Their pole screws are unique, the heads are very shallow, I've seen this on TTops.
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I think I really meant Mojo Music Supply. The heads are perfectly fine, just the wrong alloy according to these ears.

Comment

Oh yeah they're 1022, pretty bright stuff. I may be doing another partnered screw pole buy, would need two other guys to go in, probably around $700 each for about 10,000 screws each, a lifetime supply. Gotta do some checking around first. They won't be 1018 though. I'll PM you when and if I think I'm going to do it. I do have alot of 1018 screws from my first buy, might part with some, let me think about it....
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

If you're going to do a group buy on the screws, think of me. I am definitely interested.
            www.tonefordays.com

Comment

I'm interested if I can test some by ear first.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                I'm willing to bet that the plating changes the sound more than 0.1% of carbon content
                I'd bet against you. I've used 1022 pole shoes and 1018 pole shoes, neither of which were plated with anything, and the sound difference is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                  I'd bet against you. I've used 1022 pole shoes and 1018 pole shoes, neither of which were plated with anything, and the sound difference is huge.
                  Sometime they add chromium in the mixture of the 1018 (maybe 1022 too) that can change the magnetic properties of the steel (Wiki: Chromium is remarkable for its magnetic properties)

Comment

Zhangliqun!

Sent you a PM, need to hear back from you....
                    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                      Anybody know a source for 1018 humbucker/P90 poles?
                      I'd like to know this too...

Comment

Working...
                      X