Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning wax

How do you clean pickups after potting?
    There is a way to avoid tapes unglue during potting?

Wipe them off with a paper towel, put a rubber band around the pickup if it has tape around it. You can use a hair dryer to heat up and melt wax after its dried to soften it up again so you can wipe off stuff you missed. Naptha and a paper towel will also clean off the rest....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Tanx Possum,it looks nobody else use to clean their pups.

Comment

Naphtha is your best friend.

Removes wax from plated covers like a charm

Comment

I like to clean them when they are hot, with paper towel too, as Possum.
          It's easy and fast....
          jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
          mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
          mm basses

Comment

Use rubberbands during potting. However, after a few uses, the band becomes stretched and can come unraveled in the wax pot. You gotta check them periodically and if they're too loose, throw them away. If you try to wrap it around the pickup an addtional time to tighten it, it will generally break...sometimes while in the wax pot.

I use paper towels to wipe them off after they cook. After they're done cooling. I use a microfiber cloth to get the wax residue off. I also use a microfiber cloth for final polishing.

I've haven't tried them yet, but I believe Spence uses baby wipes and swears by them as being very effective at removing wax.
            www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I use blue shop towels. They are worth the extra money. Also I don't use rubber bands anymore. They break and splatter wax everywhere. I have found that really rubbing the tape down on the ends keeps it together. If it comes loose or moves I can press it back down and hold it for a few seconds till the wax cools some. I found this to be more effective. Also cloth tape is better for not coming loose if you don't care about vintage correct.

Comment

I´m happy now,tanx people.

Comment

You could use a little super glue on the tape ends, especially if they are the fabric tapes and they won't come loose in potting....
                  http://www.SDpickups.com
                  Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Wrap the taped coils with teflon plumbers tape. That's what I do now, and it works great. I do that before I pot the coils in varnish.

I actually only use a little tape to hold the end down, and for any loose windings. Then I wrap the teflon tape around the coil.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                      You could use a little super glue on the tape ends, especially if they are the fabric tapes and they won't come loose in potting....
                      Possum is right on the money with that tip. I also use this method and never had a problem with tape coming loose during the wax process.

Comment

Working...
                      X