Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happened to the forum interface????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm noticing that the new forum takes about twice as long to load per page as the old version. Is it my 11 year old computer or is it the server that's not keeping up? I think I'll be spending a lot less time on this forum if it's this slow to load.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
      I'm noticing that the new forum takes about twice as long to load per page as the old version. Is it my 11 year old computer or is it the server that's not keeping up? I think I'll be spending a lot less time on this forum if it's this slow to load.
      Might be a good thing, spend more time being productive?
      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        It's a little bit slower to load, but not twice as slow.

I'm now on a slightly newer Mac, this one is only six years old.

One thing that helped me with web page load times is using OpenDNS.

https://www.opendns.com/
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I did notice some slowness downloading pages for sure. I've been emptying my cache, temp files, cookies, more often and it seems to help a little.
          www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Hi Kevin.
            You have seen little improvement .... because you cleaned little of the truckloads of junk that accompany each post.
            Just for fun, I asked Firefox to show me the "Page source" code of this very page we are reading now:
            I go *54* (fifty-four) screens of code (Javascript and V-something, I'm no programmer) which included some small patches of text here and there (the actual posts, the actual "meat" that gives this forum value over others)
            Over *1600* lines of code of which perhaps 100 were our questions and answers.
            Just as an amusement, one of these days when I have nothing better to do, I'll rewrite this very page in pure, classic HTML, the only language on which I ever had a little practice, ages ago..
            Yet, clumsy and antiquated as it surely is by now, I guess it will take between 15% and 20% of what its fat heirs take.
            Last edited by J M Fahey; 06-19-2010, 12:02 AM.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Wow.. I just viewed the source code. It sure is a lot of stuff! Still, it's loading pretty quickly for me now.

[edit] I just timed it, and this page took 3 seconds to load. I'm on a cable modem.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
              X