Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Listening tests of high end capacitors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    ...Unless we are selling $50 vintage repro caps that is.
    That's the point in the end, people taking advantage of other people's ignorance, and that people don't feel ignorant because they are full of fake knowledge, hey they read it on the net!
    Last week a client came to the shop for a new bone nut for his 52' telecaster project, I looked inside the circuit and found a Luxe cap, when he came back to pick the guitar the first thing I said was: did you really paid $25 for a cap?!! for him it was like the obvious "accurate" choice...
    Hari Ossa
    http://www.hariossa.com

Comment

• Originally posted by hariossa View Post
      Last week a client came to the shop for a new bone nut for his 52' telecaster project, I looked inside the circuit and found a Luxe cap, when he came back to pick the guitar the first thing I said was: did you really paid $25 for a cap?!! for him it was like the obvious "accurate" choice...
      I'd bet you if you swapped it for something else he wouldn't have known the difference.
      Last edited by David Schwab; 09-17-2010, 02:15 AM.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I'd bet you if you swapped it for something else he wouldn't have known the difference.
        I wouldn't either! I told him that if he was really going for the 50's tone he should get rid of the steel wound strings and put pure nickel instead, he never heard about that before...
        Hari Ossa

Comment

I wouldn't either! I told him that if he was really going for the 50's tone he should get rid of the steel wound strings and put pure nickel instead, he never heard about that before...
          And you never know, he might not even know what the 50's tone sounds like!
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

And you never know, he might not even know what the 50's tone sounds like!
            ;D well, he might have done a youtube search to find out... and listening through the laptop speakers.

After some years repairing guitars I can say that the guys that don't play too well are the most picky about those things. They want the guitar to fill all the gaps they have as players, and if some strange illusory trend comes promising to make him sound like SRV afternight with no sweat, they go all the way for it.
            Hari Ossa

Comment

• Be careful when telling the truth, Hari!

This is true in acoustic guitar circles, too. You see patrons of very high end luthiers selling guitars for which they paid $10,000.00 to $26,000.00 because the guitars did not turn them into Martin Simpson or Alex DiGrassi or Michael Hedges overnight...

Comment

They want the guitar to fill all the gaps they have as players, and if some strange illusory trend comes promising to make him sound like SRV afternight with no sweat, they go all the way for it.
                I've had customers like that. This one guy had all the SRV lesson videos and bought a vintage Strat (which I didn't think sounded al that good) because it was the "real deal." All he could play was SRV licks. He played me a few things and then I said to him "OK, now let me hear YOU play something"... He didn't get it.

Comment

• Spam

If I offered black-painted Sprague 715 caps for use as guitar tone caps,
                  would that count as spam on this forum?

Would I need to kick some $$ back to Tboy?
                  "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Turner View Post
                    Be careful when telling the truth, Hari!
                    Yes, I know... some people can't handle it, it can burst their bubble.

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    ..."OK, now let me hear YOU play something"... He didn't get it.
                    That is something that I find hard to understand, why there is so much players trying to sound exactly like someone else!! it's OK to have some influence, specially when you're starting but then you must move on and be yourself. Listening to Hendrix made me want to play the guitar, but I didn't want to play his licks, I wanted to do what he was doing: expressing himself through his guitar.

Well I guess that I'm starting to get old, I keep saying that kids today have it all too easy, nowadays cheap guitars are pretty decent, they have free lessons online, cheap amps and effects... you name it, when I started playing cheap guitars were almost unusable, if you wanted to learn a song you had to use your ears and all that play/pause/rewind thing on cassette tape or slow down the vinyl with your fingers... I remember when I bought my first sampler (an Ensoniq Mirage) I used it to sample Allan Holdsworth solos and played them an octave lower, it was the only way to find out what he was playing.
                    When I started recording at home all I had was a Roland GR-50, the sampler and an Atari 1040ST with Cubase, so all audio (mostly guitar parts and solos) were recorded one take into the "master" tape, now these guys are masters of "cut and paste". There has never been a bigger amount of music available but at the same time so little worth listening... oh well, enough weeping and moaning for one day.
                    Hari Ossa

Comment

There has never been a bigger amount of music available but at the same time so little worth listening.
                      I couldn't disagree more strongly. There may be a (much) higher chaff/wheat ratio now than in the past, but there's an awful lot of tremendous stuff that, while under the radar in terms of radio play, would never have seen the light of day back when you needed studio backing to get recorded/published.

edit - and to stay on topic, I get wolf tones by soaking my caps in this
                      Last edited by Dave Kerr; 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
                        I couldn't disagree more strongly. There may be a (much) higher chaff/wheat ratio now than in the past, but there's an awful lot of tremendous stuff that, while under the radar in terms of radio play, would never have seen the light of day back when you needed studio backing to get recorded/published.
                        I wouldn't say that our statements are too different, I said that there is music worth to be heard, but compared to the huge amount of music available the percentage is very low.

Of course now that everyone can record and distribute their music freely in the net we can access more non industry-friendly music, that's a very positive thing, we never needed the industry to filter creativity.

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
                        edit - and to stay on topic, I get wolf tones by soaking my caps in this
                        my goodness, I wonder how they collect that...
                        Hari Ossa

Comment

my goodness, I wonder how they collect that...
                          To quote Maxwell Smart
                          Veeeeery carefully

Comment

• Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                            If I offered black-painted Sprague 715 caps for use as guitar tone caps,
                            would that count as spam on this forum?

Careful there Bro as Polypropylene does not like to be painted. Do it to an old fashioned bikers Polypropylene crash helmet and you risk your life. Could have your sound breaking up. A little roll of licorice with a wire through it may get you a sweet sound though.

Comment

• Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                              Well... I'd say that corruption works most of the time...
                              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                              Milano, Italy

Comment

• Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                                Well... I'd say that corruption works most of the time...
                                Corruption? Not at all.

I do not seek to corrupt, merely to redress an overdue consideration,
                                to make a business arrangement, yeah, that's the ticket.

"Manus manum lavat", baybeee.
                                "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Working...
                                X