No announcement yet.

About Jaguar pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little late for that Mike. Not sure where to buy Gorilla Glue in my city on a Sunday anyway.

Installed and wired up. I like it. Nice bite. Bit of twang, but more than enough balls and muscle. Compared it to the P90 I have in my Epi Coronet (gave the original away, it's a MIghty Mite replacement I'm afraid), and the Jag has a nice midrange crunch that compares favorably. I can't verify but it seems as loud/powerful as the P90, though to be fare, I'm comparing a long scale to a short scale guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
      A little late for that Mike. Not sure where to buy Gorilla Glue in my city on a Sunday anyway.

Installed and wired up. I like it. Nice bite. Bit of twang, but more than enough balls and muscle. Compared it to the P90 I have in my Epi Coronet (gave the original away, it's a MIghty Mite replacement I'm afraid), and the Jag has a nice midrange crunch that compares favorably. I can't verify but it seems as loud/powerful as the P90, though to be fare, I'm comparing a long scale to a short scale guitar.
      Mark, did you use 1 meg pots. How's the micro, you don't mention any? Sounds similar to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        The very short scale would seem 'kid sized' but it was really Fender's top of the line at the time. I think the claws were for shielding as well as an attempt to warm up the pickup a bit to counterbalance the Jag's boingy sound
        I have a 22.5" scale Mustang, and it's not "boingy" sounding. Les Pauls aren't that much longer than a Jaguar. A Gibson Byrdland is 23.5". I think that's just the sound of a Jaguar.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
          How about setting it in place it on with Gorilla glue? The foam might do a better job of filing holes and also contribute some damping.
          That stuff is awful. I bought a small bottle and tested it on a variety of things, including trying to reattach a plastic handle on a small pot, and after it was set, I could pull the handle right off! I never got it too work on anything well.

Over at MIMF they say there is another brand of polyurethane glue that works better, but I didn't take notice on what it was.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I received the black covers today. After putting them on there is no micro even with 2 boost pedals on. There is no great gobs of wax in there, very clean looking.
            DCR was 6.86 br and 6.75 neck. These are Fender factory replacement pickups. Makes me wonder if Ken's 10 years of micro was because his p/ups weren't potted at all???
            [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

In case anyone is interested, Jaguar pickup patent number is 3236930. It's also very similar to Leo's G&L pickups, in as far as the claw is similar to the U channel on those.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                That stuff is awful. I bought a small bottle and tested it on a variety of things, including trying to reattach a plastic handle on a small pot, and after it was set, I could pull the handle right off! I never got it too work on anything well.

Over at MIMF they say there is another brand of polyurethane glue that works better, but I didn't take notice on what it was.
                True, it is not good for everything. But it is extremely strong for many jobs, and its ability to fill can sometimes be useful. It does not release easily with heat, so joints are permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                  True, it is not good for everything. But it is extremely strong for many jobs, and its ability to fill can sometimes be useful. It does not release easily with heat, so joints are permanent.
                  Every now and then I try it on something else. I'll find a use for it. I might need to get a new bottle.

Comment

Not especially conventional wiring. I think its a 500k volume pot with a 510pf bypass cap, and 1M bidirectional tone pot (min treble cut at center position a different tone cap and rolloff in either direction). I also have a switch for phase-flipping the Jag.

I'm a big fan of 1M vol pots too, but I'll leave it be for the time being. Had I made a 2-pc pickguard such that I could work on the elctronics without having to loosen all the strings to remove the whole assembly, I might consider changing it. But for now, the nuisance of that big 1-pc pickguard/harness is a disincentive. Just too many other things that need my time.

Didn't play loud enough to elicit microphonics. I'll have to plug in a compressor and stand in front of the speaker to hear what happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X