potting tele pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potting tele pickups

Just finished my first tele pickup set and I have a question. Do you pot them without the cover (neck pup) and the baseplate (bridge pup)? Or with?

Originally posted by spy View Post
    Just finished my first tele pickup set and I have a question. Do you pot them without the cover (neck pup) and the baseplate (bridge pup)? Or with?
    I pot them both with the covers on.
    Reason behind it is that you tend to have microphonics on teles, so the wax potting with the covers on helps insulate make everything rigid.
    Make sure the screws only thread into the bridge baseplate and not the forbon.
    If the forbon is threaded and the baseplate is threaded it breaks the wax seal when you thread into both, causing microphonics.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thank you Terry!
      About the neck cover, is it easy to clean it after the potting? Isn't hot enough?

Comment

Originally posted by spy
        Thank you Terry!
        About the neck cover, is it easy to clean it after the potting? Isn't hot enough?
        I wax pot 140-150f degrees, Pre heat, by laying over the wax pot or on the soldering iron cage.
        I pot for 10 minutes each.
        When you pull the P/Us out of the wax pot, let drip, then wipe off with a soft rag, or paper towell.
        The chrome covers I used scratch real easy, so be careful handling them.
        The bridge, I would do all the string wrapping before Potting.
        It's real easy to break the start and finish wires so be careful.
        Good luck,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Really thanks Terry! Let's see what I'll do! I'll let you know about the results. I'm planning to pot them tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X