Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

jazzmaster Pickup - coil winds, general schematic (CORRECT FORUM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greysun View Post
    This is true, actually - I should state that my favorite guitar is my '62 AVRI, which is what I was basing the pickups on. Since I'm putting these into a strat (I know, blasphemy!), I wanted to get as close to the right coil size with the formvar as vintage, but still with with posts and flatwork matching to my AVRI. I think they'll work just fine... hopefully. ;-)
    Do them like you want.
    That is what Hand Winding is all about.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    PS * I love the sound of big Heavy wire on a strat.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Good Job.
      If you find the wire hanging on the edges, and everything is smooth?
      Try Narrowing Your wire Guide Stops just a bit.
      If it sounds good that is the important thing.
      I always like a little more magnet sticking out the top on my Strat Coils than stock.
      So I don't see any problem with that.
      I always bevel my magnets on both ends.
      All my strat players like them beveled and smooth on top.
      Unless your restoring an old relic, do them the way You Like, I do!
      Good Luck,
      Terry
      The wire guide stops were fine - I didn't mind it getting wide, I was just comparing to other Jazzmaster pickups I've seen. Bevels would be nice, but I wasn't able to find any at the height I needed, and I wasn't about to try doing that myself (I have limits - frankly, I'm surprised I got these wound as is on my crappy homemade fishing reel winder).

I have no idea how they'll sound, to be honest - I still have to solder the wires on and wax pot them before I get to the insane wiring job I have in store for this build. Absolute insanity...

Comment

Originally posted by greysun View Post
        The wire guide stops were fine - I didn't mind it getting wide, I was just comparing to other Jazzmaster pickups I've seen. Bevels would be nice, but I wasn't able to find any at the height I needed, and I wasn't about to try doing that myself (I have limits - frankly, I'm surprised I got these wound as is on my crappy homemade fishing reel winder).

I have no idea how they'll sound, to be honest - I still have to solder the wires on and wax pot them before I get to the insane wiring job I have in store for this build. Absolute insanity...
        You may want to try a cordless drill for a winder.
        I've wound hundreds of bobbins on a drill.
        I took a board and made a jig to hold the drill,
        To turn the Bobbin, I used a flat bar glued to the head of a 1/2 Inch Bolt with super glue.
        I used double sided tape to hold the bobbin to the bar.
        Poor Boys have Poor ways, Sometimes.
        Good Luck,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
          You obviously have no experience with old ones. Antiquities, Fender reissues, all wrong. The top is always flat and almost flush with the magnets protruding from the backside. The coils fill the bobbins, especially in the first 4 or so years. I have repaired easily 50-75 vintage Jazzmaster pickups from coils rubbing the cover.

I only state this with hands on experience of a few hundred vintage Jazzmasters.
          Yeah, they should look like this:

The reissue pickups are taller and sound more like a Strat.

I have a '59 Jazzmaster, but I'm not sure where the pickups are at the moment. They were both dead.

Also, my notes say they had 8,500 turns of wire.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            Yeah, they should look like this:

Yeah, that was my blonde 1959 Jazzmasters pickups. I miss that guitar dearly. I have some other shots I took at the same time as that one. I will see if I can dig them up to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
              Yeah, that was my blonde 1959 Jazzmasters pickups. I miss that guitar dearly. I have some other shots I took at the same time as that one. I will see if I can dig them up to post.
              Wow, what's the odds that I found pictures of your guitar!
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I must have the search engines on my side...lol. It used to be fenderjazzmaster.com, and the high traffic hasn't stopped even after allowing the domian name to lapse a couple years ago.

Comment

Working...
                X