Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ward View Post
    See post #5
    Oops... well, at least I get to say HI to you!
    Hi stranger!

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
      Oops... well, at least I get to say HI to you!
      Hi stranger!
      Hi Rob, how's it hangin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
        Hey Cen, looking for a bucker that has tone when turned down would be a good start. Whether I've made them or bought brand named buckers they ALL sound bland and lifeless with the guitar volume on anything less that 10. Single coils are not like this, you turn them down and they still have nice things going on. The bridge woody on 10 has a little more in the upper mids but it's when you turn the guitar down that vindicates all the work that went into the bobbins. As I have never played a paf it's useless to try and emulate one but I did have some idea of what I was looking for. Mismatched coils haven't done it for me ever. Building the taller bobbins was the act of " I'll try this and then just forget about buckers forever" I'm not into gain, I'm into single coil tone, if I play a bucker I want it to have tone when I turn it down, that's why I love P-90s, you know I reckon a lot of people don't even know what the volume knob is for, shoot me for sayin that but really. Many will no doubt say they have this already with their home made buckers, or even just buying any old bucker, I've never heard it until now.
        Taller coil = a bucker that sounds great when turned down and a cleaner sounding bucker on 10 still with plenty of yee haa.
        Very much like a P-90 without the noise. I'll probably end up doing another bridge one of these as I'd like to hear one with a bit more wire on it.

EDIT: Clips are now available from the first post.

I rarely use my volume on anything but 10. I'd rather switch channels on my amp to clean up the tone. But having said that, single coils are a lot brighter. The trend with humbuckers these days are they are too dark sounding when played clean. I like to wind bright humbuckers, so when played clean they sound like fat single coils. I have gotten some very bright and loud humbuckers. I figured if Bill Lawrence can do it, so can I. Some of his L-500s are even too bright. But you have to breakaway from the PAF formula. If you look at some bright humbuckers they don't use the slug/screw setup. Look at a Filter'tron. Two screw coils, and not wound as hot. Or loose the keeper and the baseplate like with a Lawrence pickup. I stopped using metal baseplates on my humbuckers. My closed cover pickups are made like the Lawrence designed Gibson Super Humbuckers. And don't use a metal cover if you can help it. If you do, adjust the winding to make it a little brighter.

Also, if you use a treble bleed circuit on your volume, you wont get mud when you turn down.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
        X