Who is actually making pickup wire these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
    That's a good point about regions. Elektrisola has a manufacturing plant right in Germany.
    Yes Elektrisola is a German Company. Found in 1948 they constantly grew the business during the decades. In the 60ies they started to build up manufacturing plants in various other european countries. Today they're widely spread over the globe w. plants in the U.S., Malaysia and in Yuhang, Hangzhou, Zhejiang China and various other countries. It is said that they have 6 manufacturing plants in total.

I called them at their German headquarters a few weeks ago asking for this an that. The young lady on the phone was very sweet. She asked me if I was a pick up maker, smiled and promised to do some research on the odd wire I was asking for. PE and HVF is considered completely outdated and not available @ Elektrisola Germany. She sent me a quote a few days later which also listed PE as Import from their sister plant the U.S.
    She really did a great service. To help me, she even went so far to inquire P:E. from the other side of the pond. But no luck w. HFV,....simply not available from Elektrisola

Comment

Oooups, wrong timing. Lemme read your last post. Hold on.

Comment

Yeah, various different wire in different regions. To me it doesn't matter what route the spools go as long as long as they stay reasonably prized. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy from a third party distributor than buying direct.

Comment

be careful about biconical spools, if it gets enough of a bump during shipping or in your shop the wire can slide down the taper and get pinched behind itself. you get 1/3rd or so into a spool and all of a sudden the end of the wire dissappears.
          Doesnt happen so much on small spools but on ten pound spools and every 4th or 5th one would be a problem. This almost never happens on cylindrical spools.

You can take a sharp knife and cut all the way down one side top to bottom and be fairly even in depth of cut when you do it and then you start peeling off wire. Takes about 30 minutes or so with lots of patrience and problem solving youll eventually find the end of the wire again.

Comment

Kinda like this huh....

It was dropped before I got it but it was ok for the first couple of pounds. Then the end suddenly disappeared in the middle of winding a bobbin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Damaged.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	828576

Comment

Hi

I tried to contact elektrisola per email, they put me through to the Swiss branch who gave me no reply to any of my enquiries. However I do get a regular email from them telling me when they are closed for their holidays. With that kind of service I think they know where they can stick it! By the way Elektrisola do make heavy formvar 42AWG at least, although I don't know who supplies it in Europe. I asked the guys at wires.co.uk if they could get 42AWG hfv and they said it was possible but they would need to order a fairly large amount. Come on European winders give them a nudge maybe with enough interest they'll get some in. They have good prices on 6 kg rolls 42 awg solderable enamel which are not listed but available.

Cheers all

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
                Hi

I tried to contact elektrisola per email, they put me through to the Swiss branch who gave me no reply to any of my enquiries. However I do get a regular email from them telling me when they are closed for their holidays. With that kind of service I think they know where they can stick it! By the way Elektrisola do make heavy formvar 42AWG at least, although I don't know who supplies it in Europe. I asked the guys at wires.co.uk if they could get 42AWG hfv and they said it was possible but they would need to order a fairly large amount. Come on European winders give them a nudge maybe with enough interest they'll get some in. They have good prices on 6 kg rolls 42 awg solderable enamel which are not listed but available.

Cheers all

Andrew
                Did you see this on ebay.
                AWG 42 Heavy Formvar Copper Magnet Wire Weight 5 46 Lbs | eBay
                I would contact Teena at BAE.

BAE Wire
                Teena Ridicoloso
                BAE Wire & Insulation Inc.
                941-309-0900 Phone
                941-309-9473 Fax
                TeenaR@baewire.com
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  Did you see this on ebay.
                  AWG 42 Heavy Formvar Copper Magnet Wire Weight 5 46 Lbs | eBay
                  I would contact Teena at BAE.

BAE Wire
                  Teena Ridicoloso
                  BAE Wire & Insulation Inc.
                  941-309-0900 Phone
                  941-309-9473 Fax
                  TeenaR@baewire.com
                  Terry (and all),

Take a close look at the label on that spool you posted from BAE. It's an Elektrisola label. So is the one on the photo I posted above. So it the one on this listing Heavy Formvar Copper Magnet Wire 42 AWG Heavy 4 18 lbs 105C MW 15 C Amber | eBay (you can zoom in real close and see that the spool in the photo is 43AWG HV with an Elektrisola label.

Weather they make it here or there or can sell it in what regions, or if they are distributing someone else's product, I don't know. …but I DO know that BAE, MWS, and Remington all sell spools with Elektrisola labels on it so it's not being manufactured by any of them or they would sell their own.

Comment

Terry (and all),

Take a close look at the label on that spool you posted from BAE. It's an Elektrisola label. So is the one on the photo I posted above. So it the one on this listing Heavy Formvar Copper Magnet Wire 42 AWG Heavy 4 18 lbs 105C MW 15 C Amber | eBay (you can zoom in real close and see that the spool in the photo is 43AWG HV with an Elektrisola label.

Weather they make it here or there or can sell it in what regions, or if they are distributing someone else's product, I don't know. …but I DO know that BAE, MWS, and Remington all sell spools with Elektrisola labels on it so it's not being manufactured by any of them or they would sell their own.
                    Your correct.
                    Those are just distributors and they all sell the same wire.
                    I just thought he was looking for some HFV Wire.
                    I did send an email today to Essex trying to find who sells, and where to buy their wire.
                    I will let you know what they come up with.
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Ok, now I just found this 6lb spool of 42 PE selling from Remington in Illinois. It's even listed with the manufacturer as Elektrisola in the auction.

Plain Enamel Copper Magnet Wire 42 AWG 5 36 lbs 105C MW 1 C Brown | eBay

Soooooo….. WTF??!

Why is Elektrisola telling me that MWS is the exclusive distributer of their PE and HV magnet wire?

Also - why is it that Remington can sell the Elektrisola red 42 SPN for 1/3 the cost of what MWS can? I've asked my guy at MWS, whom I do plenty of regular business with. He's looked at the Remington website and eBay listings, confirmed it IS the exact same product, and yet couldn't match their price on it, saying that Remington gets it cheaper.

<------- this guy wants answers and is feeling BS'd by my suppliers.

Who else is selling Elektrisola PE and HV besides Remington and MWS? Something doesn't smell right about this.

Comment

Maybe we can get to the root of this and do a group buy? Someone here has to know someone at one of the three companies who is a straight shooter and can say what's really going on.

Comment

Maybe we can get to the root of this and do a group buy? Someone here has to know someone at one of the three companies who is a straight shooter and can say what's really going on.
                          I do know one, If he is still there, and I can call him tomorrow.
                          What is it we all want to know?
                          I will ask him?
                          It appears that Elektrisola is buying everyone.
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                            be careful about biconical spools, if it gets enough of a bump during shipping or in your shop the wire can slide down the taper and get pinched behind itself. you get 1/3rd or so into a spool and all of a sudden the end of the wire dissappears.
                            Doesnt happen so much on small spools but on ten pound spools and every 4th or 5th one would be a problem. This almost never happens on cylindrical spools.

You can take a sharp knife and cut all the way down one side top to bottom and be fairly even in depth of cut when you do it and then you start peeling off wire. Takes about 30 minutes or so with lots of patrience and problem solving youll eventually find the end of the wire again.

I don't use SPN often, but had a little run of business that required it around December. Three spools in a row were all like that. There is a term, I forget. Remington claimed it had something to so with less-than-proper winding tension - though I also thought it was due to impact/physics of the spool. Last spool ended up being delivered right after they closed for the holidays and I HAD to use it. The outer layers were buried under the layers beneath at BOTH ends. Grrrrrrrr! I had to cut off about 1/3 of it. The trash can in my shop looked like it had a read-headed stripper's hair in it.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              I do know one, If he is still there, and I can call him tomorrow.
                              What is it we all want to know?
                              I will ask him?
                              It appears that Elektrisola is buying everyone.

Well, I particularly like to know why Elektrisola (I called the New Hampshire plant) tells me that only MWS has an agreement with them, making MWS they exclusive distributer of their PE and HV products, and so as an Elektrisola dealer, I could not purchase them myself in any quantity. …but that's clearly not the case, as we see at least Remington and BAE are also selling their PE and HV.

I'd also like to know the reason why MWS can't/won't sell Elektrisola SPN for less than almost 3 times what Remington sells the same stuff for. I've heard the same thing from 2 people at MWS, as well as a colleague in PA who was told the same by his (different) MWS rep. Maybe this is totally unrelated to the first question, but maybe not.

Comment

Well, I particularly like to know why Elektrisola (I called the New Hampshire plant) tells me that only MWS has an agreement with them, making MWS they exclusive distributer of their PE and HV products, and so as an Elektrisola dealer, I could not purchase them myself in any quantity. …but that's clearly not the case, as we see at least Remington and BAE are also selling their PE and HV.

I'd also like to know the reason why MWS can't/won't sell Elektrisola SPN for less than almost 3 times what Remington sells the same stuff for. I've heard the same thing from 2 people at MWS, as well as a colleague in PA who was told the same by his (different) MWS rep. Maybe this is totally unrelated to the first question, but maybe not.
                                I'll try to do some enquiring on this soon.
                                I wondered that too why Remington sells PE, but too High, and they have the best prices on all the SPN, and HPN?
                                Also I was told that Remington buys from the Indiana plant.
                                Don't know what is going on.
                                We need to get a connection for Essex wire?
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X