Big T makeup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big T makeup

Been listening to some Big T Analogman ( Fralin ) pickup clips. I understand hat they went for longer magnets and possibly 42g wire. Can anyone share some insights into this pickups design or specs.
    Last edited by angelodp; 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM.

6,4 K DC
    2,41 H
    8,6 K peak res.
    1100-1200 Gauss

aussumed wire awg 42

The Fender Telecaster twisted neck PU uses even longer magnets than the Big T. At whopping 0,79" tall they are the longest magnets I've seen on a Tele neck PU. And unlike the Big T which keeps the bobbin chassis stock, the twisted Tele neck Pu is a high boy that wires the magnets all the way up and down.

Comment

Should one assume that by using longer magnets, it is possible to: a) have more turns in closer proximity to the magnets, and b) have a lower DCR for the number of turns, since the circumference is shorter for many of those turns?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
        Should one assume that by using longer magnets, it is possible to: a) have more turns in closer proximity to the magnets, and b) have a lower DCR for the number of turns, since the circumference is shorter for many of those turns?
        Making it taller, Usually gives a brighter pickup.
        On a Tele Bridge Pickup, most are already too bright for me.
        I usually make them shorter, not Taller.
        Would depend on what sound your looking for.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

When I first read the title,I thought Terry was selling Mary Kay cosmetics ......
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

However, the bobbin is not the full height of the magnets:

Click image for larger version

Name:	big-t.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	828755

Longer magnets will make them stronger.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Ohhhhhh, that's different.

Never mind.

Comment

Ohhhhhh, that's different.

Never mind.
                Yeah, but as I said, with the Fender Twisted Tele neck PU the bobbins are made the full height. Those are the candidates your question is refering to the most. It will take some experimentation to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  Making it taller, Usually gives a brighter pickup.
                  On a Tele Bridge Pickup, most are already too bright for me.
                  I usually make them shorter, not Taller.
                  Would depend on what sound your looking for.
                  T
                  Well the OP is referring to the Tele neck PU which is a real volume and treble drop compared to the bridge PU. Most stock Tele neck PU are too weak and to muffled for most players. I think the art is to get the neck PU more transparent, louder while still retaining a Telecaster typical sound. The Frailin Big T does all that perfectly.

Comment

Just make it closer to a Strat pickup. I've never liked most stock Tele neck pickups. And honestly, who cares if it's a slightly larger size and doesn't have the cover on it.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      Just make it closer to a Strat pickup. I've never liked most stock Tele neck pickups. And honestly, who cares if it's a slightly larger size and doesn't have the cover on it.
                      Oouutch!! That's almost blasphemy. There are millions of die hard Tele players that really care. They take a large part in the vintage world. Off course there are others that don't care about it. There is a sound in Tele neck PU that is very special. Building a PU closer to a Strat can bring it too close to a strat sound which not evryone likes to have on his Tele. Yeah, all a matter of taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Telemachos View Post
                        Oouutch!! That's almost blasphemy. There are millions of die hard Tele players that really care. They take a large part in the vintage world. Off course there are others that don't care about it. There is a sound in Tele neck PU that is very special. Building a PU closer to a Strat can bring it too close to a strat sound which not evryone likes to have on his Tele. Yeah, all a matter of taste.
                        But the Big T pickup sounds like a Strat neck pickup. This thread is asking about the Big T pickup. What do you think its talking about? Apparently the makers of the Big T pickup agree with me.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/ProductD...=AM-BIGTPickup

Read the description (emphasis added):

The normal neck pickup in a Telecaster is just not that great... Leo originally thought it would be used to play bass lines, so all Teles up till the late 60s had an odd switch set up the forward position ran just the neck pickup with a preset BASSY sound. Almost everyone rewires the switch so you can use the neck pickup normally, with normal tone control. But the neck pickup does not match the wonderful bridge pickup for output or clarity. Many players (KEEF!) carved up their old Teles and mounted a humbucking pickup in the neck position, but that's no longer needed with the BIG-T
                        So clearly many Tele players dislike the neck pickup. This pickup is made more like a Strat pickup, and it sounds like a Strat pickup. The problem with the "vintage world" is they have their head stuck in the sand somewhere. Personally I don't see the fascination in wanting your guitar to have some exact tone as some other guitar. Find your own tone.

Here's a Tele someone commissioned me to put together with a Lace Chrome Dome at the neck:

Clearly not a Vintage setup, with the DiMarzio Fast Track at the bridge, but it was a nice sounding guitar. The neck pickup sounded a lot like a Big T, but it is Strat sized.

Comment

But the Big T pickup sounds like a Strat neck pickup. This thread is asking about the Big T pickup. What do you think its talking about?
                          I've provided the OP with exact data of this pick up as I have personally measured it up. I've been constantly playing the "Big T" for about 3 years. I play it every day at home, for practicing, recording and at least twice a week on stage. Don't worry David, I know what I' m talking about.

But the Big T pickup sounds like a Strat neck pickup.
                          As for this PU's sound characteristic I respectfully disagree. We all know that tone, taste and the way how you use and hear a guitar's pickup is subjective or very individual at best. The so called vintage preset on the neck PU was due to the resistor in it's circuit. Without the resistor it's a complete different story. This is not the point. I think we agree on this too.

What the makers mainly tried to come up with is a neck PU that would match the volume level of the bridge PU better w/o loosing definition and clarity. The beauty of this PU is that they really achieved their goal w/o having this neck PU loosing its' typical Telecaster tone too much. While other PUs like Fender's twisted Tele neck PU definitely sound a lot more like a stratocaster PU, this one sounds more teleish. But again, we all might hear it different, so all IMO.

So clearly many Tele players dislike the neck pickup.
                          Many is not all. There are also many who like it as well as many who prefer it. Off course not many in the Metal or heavy Rock genre I guess. But today you can make almost any guitar sound suitable to a huge variety of genres.

The problem with the "vintage world" is they have their head stuck in the sand somewhere. Personally I don't see the fascination in wanting your guitar to have some exact tone as some other guitar. Find your own tone.
                          No problem for me. Each to their own. The vintage market is huge and it's there for a reason. I have my own preferences and observations regarding tone, but as for customer service I'm happy to serve any kind of customer no matter what genre or taste they got.
                          Last edited by Telemachos; 04-22-2013, 08:50 PM.

Comment

thanks for all the input. is the magnet type known?

Comment

Alnico 5

Comment

Working...
                              X