Working on my first micro-coil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on my first micro-coil...

And thought I would share. I'm going to order a neodymium bar magnet to affix to the bottom for the magnetism. The poles are standard humbucker slugs through standard .187 flatwork. I used maple bucker spacers to help with assembly. I have some 44awg on the way for a set I'm making for another customer so I thought, what the heck, I'll have a go at it. Anyone want to join in on this??? Maybe we can teach each other a few things.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20130519_215922.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	867377

Name:	20130519_220127.jpg
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	867378

Name:	20130519_220141.jpg
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	867379

-Rob

Btw, do you think it would work with 43awg? Any suggestions on a good target DCR? I was thinking I'll just fill it most of the way... sometimes you need a higher DRC to control the powerful neos (is what I have read). This is a two-fer for me; first time messing with micros AND neos.

-Rob

Comment

Looks Interesting.
      Looks like it will be hard to get much wire on the very small winding areas.
      Are you winding two independant separate coils, or doing the one continuous wire method?
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Looks Interesting.
        Looks like it will be hard to get much wire on the very small winding areas.
        Are you winding two independant separate coils, or doing the one continuous wire method?
        Are you familiar with Bill Lawrence's designs? You have one small coil that is close to the strings; with normal SC's you have a lot of coil that is far from the strings that basically acts like an antennae picking up stray noise. Check out this thread: What's in a MicroCoil? in Bill Lawrence Wilde-Gate Forum

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
          Are you familiar with Bill Lawrence's designs? You have one small coil that is close to the strings; with normal SC's you have a lot of coil that is far from the strings that basically acts like an antennae picking up stray noise. Check out this thread: What's in a MicroCoil? in Bill Lawrence Wilde-Gate Forum

-Rob
          Have fun!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

You're not gonna join in on this one man? Have a little fun

Hey I made the stacker with ya!

-Rob

Comment

To busy Farming and Mowing right now, Maybe next winter.
              I still have more Stacked pickups to make.
              T
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                To busy Farming and Mowing right now, Maybe next winter.
                I still have more Stacked pickups to make.
                T
                What about you Copper?? Dont leave me hangin here

Comment

Stacks tend to be terribly inefficient when compared to single coils or traditional humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    Stacks tend to be terribly inefficient when compared to single coils or traditional humbuckers.
                    This is not a stack, it's a micro-coil based off of Bill Lawrence's design. The lower section will have no wire wrapped in it. This would not even work as a humbucker anyhow, since it has steel slugs (not rod magnets) that will be magnetized to only one polarity by a neodymium bar on the bottom of the flatwork. Check out the link to the thread I posted above and you will see what I am up to. Feel free to join in and make one yourself

-Rob

Comment

Its exactly the same as a stack & would work just fine if you were to wind 2 coils ,The Neo should be relatively small ,It's hard to have good tone when your strings are stuck to your poles .
                      I can't comment on the Micro-coils I really don't understand how they work
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                        Its exactly the same as a stack & would work just fine if you were to wind 2 coils ,The Neo should be relatively small ,It's hard to have good tone when your strings are stuck to your poles .
                        I can't comment on the Micro-coils I really don't understand how they work
                        A stack has two coils, with one rwrp; that cannot happen with this design since it is only one polarity all the way through. I know right now it LOOKS like it could be a stack, but that is only by coincidence.

Here is what I know:
                        Bill Lawrence is perhaps THE most knowledgeable and respected pickup maker alive.
                        His designs are both unique AND widely respected for being GREAT pickups.
                        They use Neodymium magnets, as well as far less wire than traditional coils.

I also know this:
                        You are smart enough that you can read this thread and with a bit of logic figure out (at least in theory) how they work.
                        And I bet if you ask nice enough, he would be happy to tell you. Just dont ask him what the DCR is
                        What's in a MicroCoil? in Bill Lawrence Wilde-Gate Forum

I repeat:
                        I AM NOT BUILDING A STACK.

-Rob

Comment

I'm saying at first glance that looks like a stack bobbin & if you wind on both of those places between the flat work (like a stack pickup you will end up with a hum cancelling pickup you don't need magnetic core rods ,the magnet on the bottom works just fine
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                            I'm saying at first glance that looks like a stack bobbin & if you wind on both of those places between the flat work (like a stack pickup you will end up with a hum cancelling pickup you don't need magnetic core rods ,the magnet on the bottom works just fine
                            How so? The two coils will be out of phase without any reverse polarity.

-Rob
                            Last edited by rhgwynn; 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                              How so? The two coils will be out of phase without any reverse magnetism.

-Rob
                              Magnetism has nothing to do with the orientation of the coils Rob.

Comment

Working...
                              X