Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 2012 color trademark court desicion. Pay attention.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an interesting topic. This has been stated at various times before but bears repeating.

The main issue seems to be DiM's trademark wording concerning the color 'cream' - 'that shade of yellow commonly known as cream'. (sic) This seems very unnecessarily broad, as everybody sees colors in different ways. One person's 'cream' is another's 'sand' is another's 'taupe'.

I worked in a web printing press for a summer awhile back, and the pressmen have equipment that can shine light on any color and read it as Pantone color values for CMYK, or cyan, magenta, yellow, or black. This is done so everything they print comes out exactly the same color every time. Big deal, you say. Who cares. Why is this important?

Now, we all know what color DiM's 'cream' is. It's the color of a brand new Super Distortion (SD) pickup bobbin. We also know what passes for 'cream' by various pickup bobbin molders.

IMO the best way out of this is to take a new SD pickup and get a Pantone color reading printout of the bobbin, as well as that of various other pickup bobbin suppliers. Or, get samples of bobbins ranging from 'natural uncolored butyrate white' to 'bottom of the ashtray brown' and let them try to tell the court exactly which shade of 'yellow' is the 'cream' color they trademarked. This way it can easily be proven that no two 'cream' shades are truly alike, and also easily shows how broad the original wording actually was.
    In other words... let them prove which shade is theirs, as they can't possibly claim them all. Then, having two visible parts to a product colored the same shade (not 'their' shade) is a moot point.

You can say for example green Mountain Dew soda bottles are a color trademark. This is true... to the extent that they are a *specific shade* of green easily differentiated from other shades. I highly doubt the makers of Dew stated their trademarked color 'was the shade of green commonly known as somewhere between yellowygreen and sea green, unless it's full of errr.... some kind of liquid... in which case the color of the full part of the bottle may differ from that of the empty part...' (joke)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

If this statement is true:
    A trademark is an identifier of quality to indicate to consumers the origin of the product, thus enabling them to rely on the marks in their purchase decisions.
    Then you should be able to make pickups any color you want- as long as you clearly identify them with your logo.
    Think about it.

Image Trademark with Serial Number 73150505

Mark Drawing 2S15 - Illustration: Drawing or design without any word(s)/letter(s)/ number(s)

Description of Mark: The mark comprises the double design representation of an electronic sound pickup for guitars, which is disclaimed apart from the mark as shown.
    Does that mean you could avoid infringing DM's trademark simply by putting some word(s)/letter(s)/number(s) on the front of the pickup? Like, say, your logo? Yes, I realize this might increase production costs by some trivial amount. But if you are proud of your product, why wouldn't you want it to be easily identified? Unless, of course, your actual intent is to infringe on DM's trademark....
    I think putting a logo on the top of any pickup you make is a great idea. I belong to a guitarmakers' forum on social media, and we have been going on this same subject for a week now. If you are proud of your creation, why would you not want to sign your work? Just for the sake of arguing... here's one of mine. Not 'double cream' of course. I've been logoing them since 2006 or so.

One more thing... before anyone asks the 'tube and halo' logo on this pickup is my own trademark - all rights reserved. For real.

Click image for larger version

Name:	smallpaf.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	842331

Rant over...

ken
    Last edited by ken; 06-29-2016, 09:13 AM. Reason: Because
    www.angeltone.com

Comment

It seems clear that the trademark would most likely vanish if it went to court. I'm sure even a jury can recognize that guitarists want pickups that match the cream binding and the cream pickup mounts that come with their guitars, without having to be locked into a single company's products. So, I wonder what the legal price tag would be in order to invalidate the trade mark, all said and done. Thousands? Tens of thousands?

Comment

Your logo is fine, but most guys I cater too don't want anything on the top of the pickup.
        I for one, don't like it on the top, but prefer it marked on the bottom.
        The logo takes away from the stock guitar look.
        To each his own.
        A logo should not be required, and I hope that is not the answer to this dilemma?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by John Kolbeck View Post
          It seems clear that the trademark would most likely vanish if it went to court. I'm sure even a jury can recognize that guitarists want pickups that match the cream binding and the cream pickup mounts that come with their guitars, without having to be locked into a single company's products. So, I wonder what the legal price tag would be in order to invalidate the trade mark, all said and done. Thousands? Tens of thousands?
          Easily $100,000. But, withthe precedence that has already been set in previous cases, I think $100,000 might go pretty far.

But.. if 1000 people donate $100 to the defense... or 100 people donate $1000...

Another thing that can happen is that anyone who has received a threat from Dimarzio in the past can file for a declaratory judgement that ask the court to find the trademark aesthetically functional (citing previous cases, of course) -- as I understand it, Dimarzio would then have to come prove that it's not aesthetically functional... which I don't think they could do. Why?? Simple question: Why do pickup companies offer pickups in more than one color?

Comment

I for one, think that the Deemarz copyright is wrong.
            Especially since his standard color is now black.
            With that said I don't make that many pickups, and to me is just a hobby.
            If I had $1000, I would have better places to flush it, than jumping into this quagmire of quicksand!
            The best of luck to anyone that does!
            YMMV,
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Current discussion of the Gear Page forum.

Cream bobbins restricted? | The Gear Page

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
                Current discussion of the Gear Page forum.

Cream bobbins restricted? | The Gear Page
                4 pages of TGP posts in a single day? I think I'll pass...

Steve Ahola
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:
                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                  4 pages of TGP posts in a single day? I think I'll pass...

Steve Ahola
                  Start on page 3 where it gets good. Forum member "Quickdraw2" is an intellectual property attorney I've spoke with on several occasions about this.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
                    Start on page 3 where it gets good.* Forum member "Quickdraw2" is an intellectual property attorney I've spoke with on several occasions about this.
                    OMG...* it's up to 5 pages now.* Argghh!* I did enjoy reading your posts starting at #57.

I remember us griping about this at AMPAGE 15+ years ago and I boycotted DiMarzio for many years because of it.* I guess that their owners and upper management are real assholes. But over the past few years I've liked some of their patented designs like the Virtual P90 and the 36th Anniversary PAF.

Not to mention some of the parts they sell like a full-sized 4PDT On-On-On toggle switch to allow us to do Series-Split-Parallel switching for a pair of humbuckers. $30 but if you really need it I believe that it is the only show in town. (I actually ordered such a switch for a 1,000,000 BTU forced air furnace used in an auto body shop for baking their paint jobs about 20 years ago. I doubt if any of the other HVAC service techs in the area even knew about the existence of On-On-On toggle switches and probably would have put in a regular 4PDT Center Off toggle switch.)

Steve Ahola

P.S. Here is a thread you started in November 2002 concerning the DiM double creme trademark:

http://archive.ampage.org/articles/4...umbuckers.html

P.P.S.* I remember buying 60 A2 humbuckers from you back in October 2007 for a great price (it was overstock from a bulk order of 1,000 magnets,* I believe.) I don't wind pickups but I swap out magnets all the time and it was like a killer price for a lifetime supply for me. Thanks again for offering them here at the forum.

Perhaps we could have a sticky thread in this forum like "FS: Builder overstock parts" since the items listed would be too specialized for the Flea Market forum here. I think it could be a big help to some of the winders here who buy large quantities to get decent prices.* Post a price for a minimum quantity and it could benefit all parties. PayPal and prepaid shipping labels make things easy these days. Any thoughts on having such a thread here?

And how about a sticky thread titled "Read this before posting in this forum" to refer most questions about non-boutique pickups to the Guitar Tech forum?* (I think it might be appropriate to discuss technology used in pickups from the big commercial companies here, strictly for the benefit of science.)
                    Last edited by Steve A.; 07-04-2016, 05:52 AM.
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                      I find it mind-boggling that 50% of the inquiries to a winder who makes Strat, Tele, and P90 style pickups, plus several flavors of screw/slug HBs (one of which ships by default with an aged cover) are for double-cream HBs.
                      When I am asked to make a humbucker, 95% of the time they ask for double cream. To be brutally honest, what motivated me to go from rewinding to experimenting with assembling pickups from aftermarket parts was a need for double creams for vintage Charvel restorations that originally had double cream Duncan's I could no longer get.

I suspect this small time winder getting sued is being made an example of. I support an attempt to challenge the TM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
                        When I am asked to make a humbucker, 95% of the time they ask for double cream. To be brutally honest, what motivated me to go from rewinding to experimenting with assembling pickups from aftermarket parts was a need for double creams for vintage Charvel restorations that originally had double cream Duncan's I could no longer get.

I suspect this small time winder getting sued is being made an example of. I support an attempt to challenge the TM.
                        Thank you, vintage restorations gives yet another possible working angle.

Comment

Personally, I think The Gear Page's logo looks an awful lot like DM's Sun logo, so TGP should quit using their logo right now!
                          J/K. It just kinda hit me a little funny when I had both open at the same time, the little avatars pictures that show up at the left of the tab...

Justin
                          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I think the whole situation really brings about another fact. The problem is not aftermarket winders trying to undercut Dimarzio. Dimarzios are plentiful and cheap. Dimarzio is just not an appealing pickup even on a general level. There are enough people are willing to source out double cream pickups made by just about anyone but Dimarzio, that it is now a real problem they feel they must tackle in the courtroom.

Comment

What bothers me about DiMarzio's humbuckers is that they have a strange matte finish, and their "cream" is a darker shade that doesn't match the typical mounting rings or binding of Gibson and Epiphone guitars.

Comment

Here ya go, WHICH of these is DeeMarzeeo cream?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.JPG
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	842505

And what about this Duncan from approx 1978....
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1977.JPG
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	842506Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1980.JPG
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	842507
                                http://www.SDpickups.com
                                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment