No announcement yet.

Fender Wide Range Humbucker patent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even with the QT plugins in IE, the USPTO image downloads are a POS. Google or pat2pdf are much clearer to read, though I haven't found a good way to pass a known patent number to either site in the wiki. Might it make sense to download the pdf files and upload to tboy's image hosting area, and link to there frmo the wiki? Pat2pdf does permit multiple downloads, and it'd be easy enough to extract the patent numbers from the table.

Comment

pickup patents

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
      Even with the QT plugins in IE, the USPTO image downloads are a POS.
      By editing the QT files config, I got QuickTime to handle USPTO .tiff images
      under Firefox and Opera 9.25
      Google looks no better, no worse than the USPTO.

Google or pat2pdf are much clearer to read, though I haven't found a good way to pass a known patent number to either site in the wiki.
      The google search link won't go directly to the patent but to a link.

For instance, for the Charlie Christian pickup patent, the search string
      patent:2087106 generates this URL:

Then, you click on the link it provides and arrive at the patent document.

Might it make sense to download the pdf files and upload to tboy's image hosting area, and link to there frmo the wiki? Pat2pdf does permit multiple downloads, and it'd be easy enough to extract the patent numbers from the table.
      I don't know if it is legal to republish USPTO patent PDF files.
      Even though the patents are already paid for with public monies, the copy
      distribution may have may have bullshit encumberances.

-drh
      He who moderates least moderates best.

Comment

Dear Mr Jackbooted Thug Moderator Strangelove(must know Spence) Dan "Sir".
        Bit like a few others here and don't reckon your gonna find this one.
        About 2 years ago on a sicky I had 2 weeks with sweet FA to do bar play online and searched guitar related patents, the usuall way start with a few and search the cited references etc etc. Ended up with a database of about 700 pdfs covering bodies, necks, trems, bridges, pickups and complete guitars. Even searched pat no's off parts and even decals. Theres a guy over here makes copy decals and must just make up his no's as there is a few copy strats in this world with the pat no's for a horse sunbonnet, a mechanical device for stopping a railcar and an elecrical machine for finding the centre of gravity on an aeroplane.(sounds about right to me.)
        Lots of pickup pats but never the one you want and I did(nerd) search at one point for 2 days just by knocking up a digit at a time and god is there some shit out there with a patent on it.
        If this one is there then it's gonna be found by accident or a reference from something different but all keep looking and one day well someone may strike lucky.

Comment

Jonson, I know you said you were just hanging around waiting to die but you really should do something more interesting. That reminds me, the new year is here and I'll be doing a drawing for that burr walnut roof console for my old '65 Land Rover. That'll keep you busy for a bit.....
          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

not a problem dear. I'm back on me feet again but still hurtin but have made my show deadline so bring it on.

Comment

not an A55H0L3

Originally posted by jonson View Post
              Dear Mr Jackbooted Thug Moderator Strangelove (must know Spence) Dan "Sir".
              Uhhhh ... right. First, it gots nuthin ta do with sheeps.
              The Nazi's would dismiss someone as 'Strangelove' (Merkwurtigliebe)
              in the way post-McCarthyites would call someone a commie-pinko-faggot.

Second: If you call me an asshole, then you lose credibility.
              No less a great emminence than Jason Lollar endorsed me one day
              with the words, "Don't worry, he's not an asshole."

We have standards here. Your moderator does not shagg sheep
              and has been authoritatively declared "not an asshole".

So, that's Mr. not-an-asshole to you, sir.

... Ended up with a database of about 700 pdfs covering bodies, necks, trems, bridges, pickups and complete guitars. Even searched pat no's off parts and even decals.
              If this one is there then it's gonna be found by accident or a reference from something different but all keep looking and one day well someone may strike lucky.
              *sigh*

I was getting that impression.

Well, whenever I see a likely patent, I'm poking it into the Pickupedia.
              It probably won't be useful for a another month, anyway.

Thanks, Jonson.

-drh

Comment

Ok Mr Not an Arsehole Sir. Not that I would ever call you that. anymore than I would ever liked to be called An Arsehole. I resemble remarks like that so wouldn't use them to others. I also know you don't shag sheeps anymore than we do in the UK. Spence only pretends to and I wouldn't for other reasons. We in the UK love animals! "Sorry rephrase that" Like animals so dont mistreat them. I certainly wouldn't strike up a relationship with a sheep as I like to go to much hotter climates for the summer and leaving a sheep wondering where iv'e gone would be wrong. And down in the desserts we only have camels and goats so and dont do much with them either. It's all really a good laugh and best we just talk about pickups and patents before the rest of the world think we are just perverts.

Hey Spence if you get some spare time in the summer, hop on a kite and come down and see me.(some of them goats is real pretty with blue eyes.)

Comment

OK.. I'll ask again... is the Wide Range patented? Maybe we can't find a patent because it doesn't have one? If it does, it will be written on the pickup somewhere.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Whats the big deal about finding the patent, all it is , is a humbucker with magnet pole pieces and probably wound lower DCR maybe. Surely someone here has fixed one at one time or another. Duplicating one is going to be somewhat impossible to find cunife threaded machined magnets eh? If you really are dying to know then find one and buy it. I just spent alot of money on a P13 pickup and there ain't no patent for that thing. Those Seth Lover fender pickups are real boring anyway. another way to reproduce would be just use alnico rods. the only question is whats in the bobbin holes that are covered over? slugs or magnet pieces
                    http://www.SDpickups.com
                    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

found one...

dig out your check book,
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fender-H...sid=p1638.m118

Great photos here and DCR too!
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

so the big question is are those slug looking things actually slugs or magnets made of cunife?
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                          dig out your check book,
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fender-H...sid=p1638.m118

Great photos here and DCR too!
                          I wish him all the luck trying to sell the dam thing without the original cover. Why does he think it's so valuable, without the original cover it is shit IMHO. Does he really think someone would use it with the black tape covering the little prongs the coil ends are soldered to.?????

I rewound one of those nightmares a long time ago, yes the slugs are magnetic as well as the screws, not sure if it intended to be or not though... The bobbins are thin plastic and wont handle a lot of tension at all from what I remember and getting those tabs back in is a bitch in itself........... I wouldn't rewind another one if they gave it to me and gave me 100 bucks to do it......

Take notice of the slight stagger on the slugs

Comment

...since there's no magnet bar, the slugs are threaded, magnetized, CuNiFe cores, just like the Fender Telecaster book says they are.
                            ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Hi everybody
                              I'm regulary a 'only' reader on this forum, but I've noticed on the Ebay-photos that there are no slugs on the Fender humbucker. The 'slugs' seen are the ends of the magnetscrews fitted from the bottomplate. So the slight stagger is made by not fastening the screw too much.

Just my 1% on this theme.

Hermann

PS please exercuse my bad english, it is not my native langauge.

Comment

Originally posted by Berman View Post
                                The 'slugs' seen are the ends of the magnetscrews fitted from the bottomplate. So the slight stagger is made by not fastening the screw too much.
                                Thanks, Hermann.

please exercuse my bad english, it is not my native langauge.
                                No worries. Your english is fine. Stay well.

-drh

Comment

Working...
                                X