No announcement yet.

Fender Wide Range Humbucker patent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I see what's going on... one half of the threaded magnets are put in upside down so the adjustment screw head is under the pickup, so it looks like slugs from the top.

I always thought these pickups had split coils like a P bass... that's why I put up Fender's old split pickup patent.

I don't see much point in doing the poles this way.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Berman View Post
      Hi everybody
      I'm regulary a 'only' reader on this forum, but I've noticed on the Ebay-photos that there are no slugs on the Fender humbucker. The 'slugs' seen are the ends of the magnetscrews fitted from the bottomplate. So the slight stagger is made by not fastening the screw too much.

Just my 1% on this theme.

Hermann

PS please exercuse my bad english, it is not my native langauge.

AHHH, I see now, Thanks for pointing that out. Just goes to show how easy it is to miss a lot of detail with just a first look....... Wonder how many people are in jail on someones eyewitness acounts

Comment

...has anyone recently been playing with the idea of "recreating" the old WRHB's using CuNiFe cores as sold and used in Variable Reluctance (LVDT) positioners?

...believe it or not, but the CuNiFe "cores" are available in different diameters and lengths from Trans-Tek, Inc., Ellington, CT.
        Last edited by Old Tele man; 08-26-2008, 10:34 PM.
        ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Originally posted by Old Tele man View Post
          ...has anyone recently been playing with the idea of "recreating" the old WRHB's using CuNiFe cores as sold and used in Variable Reluctance (LVDT) positioners?

...believe it or not, but the CuNiFe "cores" are available in different diameters and lengths from Trans-Tek, Inc., Ellington, CT.
          Link to the product?
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

...try this: http://www.transtekinc.com/index.php...jax_highlight1

Comment

But those are entire Linear Velocity Transducers, not magnet cores for sale.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

...but, bare CuNiFe cores (of varying diameter and lengths) are available from Trans-Terk under the name "replacement magnets."

...you can contact Mr. Paul V. Mondazzi, phone: 860-872-8351, for more information about their Series 100 Linear Velocity Transducers (pages 62-64 of their catalog).

...Models having P/N's ending in -0001 are the ones with CuNiFe cores and, thus, also CuNiFe "replacement magnets."

DISCLAIMER--I have no affiliation with Trans-Tek or Mr. Mondazzi, just someone who works with LVDTs.

Comment

Cool! That can come in handy. Thanks for the info.

Cunife magnets seem to be somewhere between Alnico 2 and 5.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    Cool! That can come in handy. Thanks for the info.

Cunife magnets seem to be somewhere between Alnico 2 and 5.
                    ...if you're interested, you might try contacting them to get an "engineering" sample or two to '...play with...'

...and, if you do, be sure to let us all know how they work & sound, because I, for one, am actually in-the-market for a replacement/substitute WRHB for a new guitar I want to build.

...Seymour-Duncan, at one time, was selling a look-alike "split-three" HB model, but it seems to have been discontinued.

Comment

...if you're interested, you might try contacting them to get an "engineering" sample or two to '...play with...'

...and, if you do, be sure to let us all know how they work & sound, because I, for one, am actually in-the-market for a replacement/substitute WRHB for a new guitar I want to build.
                      I currently have no use for them, but if I ever do I'll try them.

...Seymour-Duncan, at one time, was selling a look-alike "split-three" HB model, but it seems to have been discontinued.
                      Still makes it:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...3_bar_humbuck/

And the alnico rod version

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...d_magnet_33_h/

Comment

...thanks for the SD info! Apparently, I wasn't looking in the right places!?!? Wonder how they compare with the original WRHBs sound-wise? I'm guessing, they're closer to Gibson HB's than the original CuNiFe WRHBs.

...was just visiting your website, and noticed your Neo bass pups...are neodymium magnets the "next big/best thing..."? They're getting lots of "verbal"-milage with the speaker people.

Comment

...thanks for the SD info! Apparently, I wasn't looking in the right places!?!? Wonder how they compare with the original WRHBs sound-wise? I'm guessing, they're closer to Gibson HB's than the original CuNiFe WRHBs.
                          He seems to say they sound like single coils.

...was just visiting your website, and noticed your Neo bass pups...are neodymium magnets the "next big/best thing..."? They're getting lots of "verbal"-milage with the speaker people.
                          They are getting popular with bass pickup makers. One has been around for a while now, Q-Tuner. Bass pickups work well with stronger magnets, like ceramics. I started using neos when I was designing a mini humbucker size bass pickup, and wasn't getting what I wanted out of the ceramics, due to the size constraints.

They have an interesting tone. Brighter than alnico, but fatter than ceramics. And kind of a textured "grainy" midrange. You have to be careful though because they are so strong, and you can easily over saturate your core, or yank the strings down!

I haven't tried them with guitar pickups yet, but it's on my "to do" list.

Comment

Bare Knuckle replacements

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I've been looking to add some versatility to my Custom Tele, and in my travels I came across this forum.

Thought that you might be interested in these if you are looking for a widerange replacement:

http://www.riograndepickups.com/scar...KINGS+for+TELE

Comment

I picked up an original WRH today. I'd never realized how big these actually are. They dwarf a regular humbucker.

Some measurements:
                              Baseplate; 3.075 X 1.70
                              Pole spacing; 2.10 X .75
                              Cover; 3.125 X 1.75 X .625
                              In the pictures the bottom magnets are North polarity
                              11kR

I need to make a pickguard before I can try it out. I've got some black single ply, and a blonde tele. Pretty original eh?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Seth Lover and Fender never did patent the wide range humbucker.

There recently has been a patent filed on that type of pickup using threaded alnico of all grades as well as other rigid magnet materials. There is a new line of pickups soon to be released using this style of adjustable threaded magnets. Check out the link.

Telenator Musical Electronics LLC threaded magnet pickup technology

Comment

Working...
                                X