No announcement yet.

Turns Per Layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PUs should be wired to desired inductance instead of resistance.
    Capacitance should be measured instead of guessed.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by bob View Post

No, with a machine wound coil, Higher number of turns, or less scatter like you're trying to fill the bobbin across 1 layer all the way until you're done winding, will, as stated above by SteikBacon, make the capacitance lower as well as the resistance, as if you made 1 turn with a flat piece of copper the width of the bobbin all the way around. More scatter will increase capacitance because the wires overlap a lot more causing an increase in capacitance with resistance , think of it like having a 4 inch pipe, the tight scatter is like the water flowing through the pipe freely now imagine the more scatter where the wire goes over the other windings numerous times, imagine that those are like little baffles in the pipe, it's going to impede the flow of the water because you have more resistance. If you wind a coil with a lot of scatter you'll get to your desired resistance faster with less turns than you will with less scatter. I can't tell you how many times I've read this post and never got it. When I did it was like a light bulb turned on.
      Basically, if you wind a little looser, don't confuse me saying looser with the wire being sloppy falling off the coil, with less scatter the pickup will brighten up. Less scatter and it will fatten up and cut some highs. The trick is to get the tension and the TPL just right for the best of all things combined. Don't take my word for it. YMMV.......
      Yo Bob, do you realize you are responding (with an answer) to a 9 year old post in a thread that went dormant in 2015?

Just sayin'

-Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

"No, with a machine wound coil, Higher number of turns, or less scatter like you're trying to fill the bobbin across 1 layer all the way until you're done winding, will, as stated above by SteikBacon, make the capacitance lower as well as the resistance, as if you made 1 turn with a flat piece of copper the width of the bobbin all the way around. More scatter will increase capacitance because the wires overlap a lot more causing an increase in capacitance with resistance"

This is wrong correct? I would think the more you scatter, your capacitance goes down. When my latest hobby was winding single coils, i used to measure inductance and then find the resonant peak with my signal generator and XY on the scope, then calculate capacitance. I think i remember tighter/closer and more uniform winds would increase capacitance. Been a while since i wound pickups, glad i bought those 5lb spools back then.

Comment

Working...
        X