No announcement yet.

What (type of pickups) do we have here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What (type of pickups) do we have here?

Ok... since seeing the post titled "What Happened To This Place", I thought this would be a good opportunity to let the pickup gurus weigh in.

While going through my late friend's collection of stuff, I found two sets of pickups. These things have no markings at all. They are flatter than pancakes!! So can anyone tell me what I might have? Something rare? Far East cheapos? Any ideas?

(I am not sure what the black goo is on the right pair pickups - almost seems like someone tried to wax the pots).

Thanks, Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknowns.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	967.8 KB
ID:	933605

Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	789.0 KB
ID:	933606
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Used in Teiscos and many other Japan made cheap guitars in the 60's 70's. Some are actually collectable and called gold foil pickups.

Comment

Thanks Mozz!

Gold Foil Pickup - ok that is a start. I am not too crazy over what appears to be a wax type substance. I see a couple of these on Reverb for $175 each. Before I put these on the local Craigslist, I will do a bit more research. But you got me started in the right direction!!

Comment

For those curious about "what do gold foils sound like?" I ran across a video a couple days ago. A GF like the ones on the right in the photo, installed as bridge PU on a Strat. Yikes! indeed... Well, there's a purpose for everything I s'pose. And some people will pony up a good chunk of money for them.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

It's crazy what these are selling for these days. I threw out a shoe box full of these in the 90's before they were a "thing". Wish I saved them now. Kids had me rip these out and put Dimarzios or Duncans on those guitars because they were so microphonic you could literally yell into them! I used to call those kids shoe gazers LOL.

The problem with vintage gold foils is the acid in the tape used to wrap the coils. So many sound weak or don't make sound at all because the tape has shorted the coil. The newer repro ones are the way to go if you want a good and consistent sound IMO.

Comment

Thanks guys.... And I found the following:

Comment

And I put the other pickups under the magnifying glass - they have a "Fender" inscribed across them. You can see this in the photo as well. One measures at 3.9K, the other at 9K dc resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
                And I put the other pickups under the magnifying glass - they have a "Fender" inscribed across them.
                I wonder what guitar those "Fender"s came from. Don't recall seeing any regular instrument with them. Maybe a lap steel? I'm as far from an expert as you can get on the lap steels. I got a feeling I'm about to learn something new today... and that's all to the better.

Comment

They are also Teisco pickups, somebody inscribed fender, no way the factory is that sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                    They are also Teisco pickups, somebody inscribed fender, no way the factory is that sloppy.
                    What I suspected. Like the hammered-up $29 MIJ strat-like object some youngster brought into a local store one day, with a Fender logo cut out from a magazine ad pasted onto the headstock. He claimed it was the real thing, an authentic "collector's item," and demanded big bucks. I was there to see this in person. The shop owner gently persuaded Junior and his dodgy "Strat" out the door, then we fell about the place laughing. Heck, it didn't even have gold foil pickups. OTOH those Teiscos in the photo will likely find a home, and get you some grocery money.

Comment

Thanks again guys.... I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Turns out, one of the Gold Foil appears to be open. I might be tempted to see if I can chip away at the wax and find the end of the winding.

Comment

That video was a hoot!
                        If that pickup was 'good' I would trash it.
                        If it was 'faulty' I would trash it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                          That video was a hoot!
                          If that pickup was 'good' I would trash it.
                          If it was 'faulty' I would trash it.
                          I'm much in the same mind. Although there's one possible use, thin-sounding pickups seem to work best driving fuzz and deep-overdrive boxes & amp circuits. Otherwise I reckon a skilled pickup builder could create a good sounding pickup and hide it under a repurposed gold foil cover, sort of a secret weapon.

Comment

'Gold Foil' my a@ss.

They were the cheapest pickups made in the cheapest way for cheap guitars.

And they do sound 'cheapo'.

Comment

Pickup on the left is from a 1962 Starway MJ-2L Teisco electric guitar

Comment

Working...
                              X