Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Pickups and Projects Are You Working On?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm working on not blowing all my money on pickup parts and tooling. Seriously... you should see my taxes this year. Crazy. I'll be back onto my noiseless strat pickup design in a month or two, though.

I loved that video, Jason!

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
      I'm working on not blowing all my money on pickup parts and tooling. Seriously... you should see my taxes this year. Crazy. I'll be back onto my noiseless strat pickup design in a month or two, though.

I loved that video, Jason!
      Really !!!
      Im gonna get f_cked ,for just being away from my winder ,When it comes tax time
      & away working ........................oil money
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Hi there. Long time without posting here.... been little bussy building come bamboo bicycles...
        Well this is my new proyect...
        Pair of HB, assymetrical bobbins, with top wood. 42AWG with Alnico4 magnets. These are for a client that I am building a guitar.
        I hope you like it...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	375216_10150524089588880_32412423879_9048424_1158447706_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	823947Click image for larger version

Name:	374626_10150524089883880_32412423879_9048425_946134006_n.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	823948Click image for larger version

Name:	397906_10150525985928880_32412423879_9054769_2105307321_n.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	823949
        jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
        mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
        mm basses

Comment

Originally posted by mickmutante View Post
          Hi there. Long time without posting here.... been little bussy building come bamboo bicycles...
          Well this is my new proyect...
          Pair of HB, assymetrical bobbins, with top wood. 42AWG with Alnico4 magnets. These are for a client that I am building a guitar.
          I hope you like it...
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]16857[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16858[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16859[/ATTACH]
          Nice looking pickups! Is that teak?
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            Today I made a Narrow Spaced Strat Neck P/U for my SX Lefty Import.
            Made this one With Non Staggered A2 Magnets.
            I made my own flatwork, and used a No Hole white plastic cover.
            Drilled the holes in the flatwork, and white cover.
            The Pole Spacing is around 49MM Center to Center.
            The Strings are Now Centered over all Poles.
            It is wound with 42 HFV.
            Sounds Great.
            T
            Here the guitar with the Narrower spaced Neck pickup and hand drilled cover.
            It sounds better with the magnets under the poles the standard fender width was too wide.
            I think it looks better too.
            B_T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Hi David.!
              It is called "Nogal Cafetero", "Laurel Blanco", "Laurelillo"... It scientific name is Cordia Alliodora. It has a spicy odor... A really nice wood. Those pickups are for these guitar.
              MG DC. | Facebook
              jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
              mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
              mm basses

Comment

Here the guitar with the Narrower spaced Neck pickup and hand drilled cover.
                It sounds better with the magnets under the poles the standard fender width was too wide.
                I think it looks better too.
                B_T
                Looks good! Now you need an F spaced humbucker.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mickmutante View Post
                  Hi David.!
                  It is called "Nogal Cafetero", "Laurel Blanco", "Laurelillo"... It scientific name is Cordia Alliodora. It has a spicy odor... A really nice wood. Those pickups are for these guitar.
                  MG DC. | Facebook
                  That's a new one for me! Looks nice.

Comment

My Latest Pickup project is a PAF Style Humbucker made from the following Parts.
                    Addiction-FX Threaded Base plate, W/Screws and Springs
                    A.FX Machined Keeper
                    A.FX 1010 Slugs
                    1018 Screws
                    Mojo ButyRate 49.2mm Bobbins
                    Magnetic Hold A2 Bar Magnet
                    Maple hardwood Spacer Shim
                    Here's some of the Issues I've had with fitting problems.
                    I might add that I have built Hundreds of Humbuckers with the normal cheap parts without issue.
                    These issues that I list below are with the premium so-called PAF Parts.
                    My 1018 Screws would not go through the Machined Keeper.
                    I had to drill out the keeper about .002 inch.
                    This allows a tight fit but screws now slide through the keeper.
                    The A.FX Slugs are over sized. They measure .189 not .187 Inches.
                    When I put the .189 slug in the butyrate bobbin it split the top of the $2.50 bobbin.
                    The next bobbin I drilled out the bobbin to .189".
                    This one did fit without splitting.
                    Didn't want to split another expensive bobbin, so I threaded the screw bobbin with a 5x40 Tap.
                    I wound the bobbins with REA 42 PE Wire.
                    Upon Assembly I ran into the threaded baseplate issue.
                    I foresaw the problem I would have with putting a screw into 2 threaded pieces.
                    With the screw threaded into the bobbin, then threading the screw into the baseplate, it is impossible to get the bobbin tight.
                    I was not planning to pot the pickup, because I was trying to make these like original PAF Pickups.
                    With the above condition the 2 brass screws do nothing to tighten the screw bobbin to the baseplate.
                    So without potting you end up with a semi tight screw bobbin, Just right for Microphonics.
                    So IMHO the threaded base plate is a bad Idea, and I think this part of the PAF Myth is Bunk.
                    So if I make anymore of these, I will drill out the expensive base plate, so the screws go through with minimum clearance.
                    If you are Making any pickups with these parts, these are some of the problems, and Issues to look for.
                    Good Luck,
                    Terry
                    Last edited by big_teee; 01-17-2012, 04:27 PM.
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

A-FX screws could be metric to fit the there keeper
                      mojo's screws are 5-40

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                        A-FX screws could be metric to fit the there keeper
                        mojo's screws are 5-40
                        I have some of their screws also and they didn't go through easily either.
                        You could drive them thru, but would probably damage the threads.
                        Like I said a drill bit trued that up and solved that issue.
                        You can't really call something Vintage PAF if you use metric parts.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Like I said a drill bit trued that up and solved that issue.
                          You can't really call something Vintage PAF if you use metric parts.
                          T
                          Very true buddy

Comment

My Latest Pickup project is a PAF Style Humbucker made from the following Parts.
                            Addiction-FX Threaded Base plate, W/Screws and Springs
                            A.FX Machined Keeper
                            A.FX 1010 Slugs
                            1018 Screws
                            Mojo ButyRate 49.2mm Bobbins
                            Magnetic Hold A2 Bar Magnet
                            Maple hardwood Spacer Shim
                            Here's some of the Issues I've had with fitting problems.
                            I might add that I have built Hundreds of Humbuckers with the normal cheap parts without issue.
                            These issues that I list below are with the premium so-called PAF Parts.
                            My 1018 Screws would not go through the Machined Keeper.
                            I had to drill out the keeper about .002 inch.
                            This allows a tight fit but screws now slide through the keeper.
                            The A.FX Slugs are over sized. They measure .189 not .187 Inches.
                            When I put the .189 slug in the butyrate bobbin it split the top of the $2.50 bobbin.
                            The next bobbin I drilled out the bobbin to .189".
                            This one did fit without splitting.
                            Didn't want to split another expensive bobbin, so I threaded the screw bobbin with a 5x40 Tap.
                            I wound the bobbins with REA 42 PE Wire.
                            Upon Assembly I ran into the threaded baseplate issue.
                            I foresaw the problem I would have with putting a screw into 2 threaded pieces.
                            With the screw threaded into the bobbin, then threading the screw into the baseplate, it is impossible to get the bobbin tight.
                            I was not planning to pot the pickup, because I was trying to make these like original PAF Pickups.
                            With the above condition the 2 brass screws do nothing to tighten the screw bobbin to the baseplate.
                            So without potting you end up with a semi tight screw bobbin, Just right for Microphonics.
                            So IMHO the threaded base plate is a bad Idea, and I think this part of the PAF Myth is Bunk.
                            So if I make anymore of these, I will drill out the expensive base plate, so the screws go through with minimum clearance.
                            If you are Making any pickups with these parts, these are some of the problems, and Issues to look for.
                            Good Luck,
                            Terry
                            So far my experiment with the parts above, have produced a Pickup that is IMHO too bright and harsh.
                            Don't know if it is some of the composition of the parts or Other Factors involved.
                            Stay Tuned!
                            B_T
                            **Edit
                            FYI: I have tried different magnets, and different Gauss.
                            Different amount of total turns, or DCR.
                            Last edited by big_teee; 01-22-2012, 03:59 AM.
                            Terry

Comment

So far my experiment with the parts above, have produced a Pickup that is IMHO too bright and harsh.
                              Don't know if it is some of the composition of the parts or Other Factors involved.
                              Stay Tuned!
                              B_T
                              **Edit
                              FYI: I have tried different magnets, and different Gauss.
                              Different amount of total turns, or DCR.
                              What's your turns per layer? You aren't scattering, are you? But PAF type pickups are bright and chimey. It's a fallacy that they aren't.

Now I bet if you get a Stew-Mac humbucker kit and wind it up the same way it will sound the same as those more expensive bobbin and stuff you bought.

Sometimes it's the way you wind it, and not so much with the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                                What's your turns per layer? You aren't scattering, are you? But PAF type pickups are bright and chimey. It's a fallacy that they aren't.

Now I bet if you get a Stew-Mac humbucker kit and wind it up the same way it will sound the same as those more expensive bobbin and stuff you bought.

Sometimes it's the way you wind it, and not so much with the parts.
                                These are strictly my findings.
                                I have made hundreds of Humbuckers, and these are coming out different.
                                If this is PAF, you can have them.
                                I am still working on trying a viable formula.
                                I'm not done yet.
                                I am going to slide it all to one of my tried and true base plates, and see what I get.
                                The parts were given to me, so the Experiment has been fun, and not at all what I expected so far.
                                Stay tuned.
                                T
                                **Ed.
                                I have made StewMac Kits, it has been a While, but I remember liking them much better.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X