Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Pickups and Projects Are You Working On?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT: sorry - replied in wrong place.

Comment

I'm working on a few variations of bucker sized single coils. One is a P-90 style with a tap. When the partial coil is used, it's the outer part of the coil to retain the larger coil size.
      The other looks similar, but has no poll screws. It's more of a Fender-style single coil in a bucker case. I'm using magnetic poll pieces for that one. Very bright and clean.

Bucker-sized P-90s:

50's bees harnesses:

Comment

These covers are readily available now to all.
        I requested to Tom brantley back at the first of the year for some no holes covers.
        It took a while but now available are no holes in Nickle, and Gold.
        Tom emailed me, and at the same time ordered the center hole covers, and bobbin parts for the Short H90, or P90.
        So if anyone wants to try their hand at either here are the parts.
        Humbucker Pickup Covers
        Mojotone Humbucker Sized P-90 49.2mm Flatwork Top and Bottom
        Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone Phenolic Standoff with 5/40 thread (.187" x .565")
        So if you make any, please post your pictures here.
        Also to be noted it is difficult to make a true sounding P90 fit a Humbucker.
        You end up with a short fat bobbin and you can't get the required turns of 42 ga wire.
        You can get the 10000 turns, with 43 gauge wire.
        Definitely a compromise Pickup!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I tried the Mojo parts above, but found that the phenolic standoffs would have to be ground down and then you loose coil space. Otherwise, the phenolic standoff, on top of a spacer (with magnets on either side), is taller than the cover so the covers don't fit on right. Maybe I didn't build it as intended? That's entirely possible. I've opted to use my own center spacer/bobbin core that is wider and shorter for a bigger coil shape and a neat fit. I'm having lots of fun playing with this project!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post
            Here's a sidewinder design that I'm testing out:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]18280[/ATTACH]

Two coils wound to 6000 turns each with 43AWG, each around a C8 magnet. Solid 3/8" steel keeper bar, complete with off-center holes () for the set screw pole pieces.
            Nice work!

General question about grounding, if anyone cares to respond: Would it be enough to stick a small patch of that conductive copper tape to the bottom of the center bar, and solder a wire to that patch to effectively ground this pickup?
            Yes.

To the questions above about how to wire these for noise cancellation:
            As far as I know, and have been told, with the same polarity facing inward, coils wound the same direction, they should be hooked up start to finish for series humbucking. That's what I'm gonna start with... we'll see how that turns out.
            Yep. You'll know if you have them wired the wrong way.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              Nice work!
              Thanks, David!

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              Originally posted by Chris Turner
              As far as I know, and have been told, with the same polarity facing inward, coils wound the same direction, they should be hooked up start to finish for series humbucking. That's what I'm gonna start with... we'll see how that turns out.
              Yep. You'll know if you have them wired the wrong way.
              So yes, after wiring this thing up and testing it, I've found this is definitely the way to do it.

Comment

Thanks, David!

So yes, after wiring this thing up and testing it, I've found this is definitely the way to do it.
                Is it quiet, No Hum?
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  Is it quiet, No Hum?
                  T
                  Yes, it's quiet.

Strange,too... seeing as how if these two coils were arranged like a regular humbucker, with the same polarity facing the strings, coils wound the same direction, and connected start to finish, you'd get hum.

But, as David has said before in some other thread, that's to be expected in a sidewinder. Voodoo, man... voodoo.

Comment

Here's what I mean about the fit. This is one of my early attempts using the Mojo hardware:

Comment

Here's a sidewinder design that I'm testing out:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]18280[/ATTACH]

Two coils wound to 6000 turns each with 43AWG, each around a C8 magnet. Solid 3/8" steel keeper bar, complete with off-center holes () for the set screw pole pieces.

General question about grounding, if anyone cares to respond: Would it be enough to stick a small patch of that conductive copper tape to the bottom of the center bar, and solder a wire to that patch to effectively ground this pickup?

To the questions above about how to wire these for noise cancellation:
                      One I made recently for an SG bass. Looks like yours!

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Did you try fitting there 50mm bobbin with screws in ,into that cover ? to see how it looks
                        I know its 49.2mm but just try it
                        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                          Did you try fitting there 50mm bobbin with screws in ,into that cover ? to see how it looks
                          I know its 49.2mm but just try it
                          The regular P-90 sized one? This? Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone P-90 Plastic Pickup Bobbin Black 50mm (1.97'')

No, I haven't tried cutting down one of those. I'll order a couple on my next round.

I have been leaning towards making my own SC bobbins to get a good shape/height and also offer bridge/neck spacing since my bridge/neck single coils will be different anyway (to account for hum canceling in the middle position). Of course, I'll have to drill my own covers for that, but it's not a problem to do so.

Comment

I was just thinking that a 49.2mm nickel humbucker will fit on a 50mm bobbin quite easy & with hardly any noticable gaps on the side of the poles
                            So I figured the same can apply here
                            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
                              The regular P-90 sized one? This? Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone P-90 Plastic Pickup Bobbin Black 50mm (1.97'')

No, I haven't tried cutting down one of those. I'll order a couple on my next round.

I have been leaning towards making my own SC bobbins to get a good shape/height and also offer bridge/neck spacing since my bridge/neck single coils will be different anyway (to account for hum canceling in the middle position). Of course, I'll have to drill my own covers for that, but it's not a problem to do so.
                              At least the no holes, are now available to drill.
                              Thanks for the pictures.
                              Also "Copper", I've never had any luck crossing 49.2, and 50mm covers and bobbins.
                              It always ends looking like a hodge podge, Rube Goldberg, Crappy looking deal when I've tried it.
                              Your Mileage may vary!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Here's a Single Coil P/U I did a repair on.
                                It is from a 57 Strat Reissue middle P/U position. It's a 80s vintage reissue.
                                I didn't have to rewind it and was able to repair it.
                                The DCR is 6.3k
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X