Magnet dismensions and number of windings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hubox View Post
    Wow. Thanx. I have read a lot of pickup making diaries, but in practise and calculating i'am noob :P

Hmm... It calculated 9927 winds for perfect scatter o.o
    Is that for 42 gauge wire with both bobbins?
    You can't get 9927 on one bobbin?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Is that for 42 gauge wire with both bobbins?
      You can't get 9927 on one bobbin?
      T
      Maybe... Could somebody calculate that for me? I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong :/
      Sorry for my English cause I'm polish

Comment

So give us the Neck and Bridge DCR of each pickup up Desire to Wind and I will give you calculations.
        The old standard gibson specs is 5000 turns per bobbin, that should get You over 4k per bobbin or 8k+ per Humbucker.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Neck pickup DCR = 7,92kOhm.

What does it mean "scatter" in pickups?

Comment

loose scatter 4708 (62%) tight scatter 4943 (72%) loose machine 5076 (78.5%) tight machine 5258 (90.7%)
            perfect 5342(100%)
            The Above is for One bobbin for your 7900+ Pickup.
            So Someone like Salvarsan Might want to jump in here to explain.
            As example: If you wind one layer on a clean bobbin, the percent above is the coverage you would get?
            62% You would have 38% of the bobbin not covered.
            100% all of the bobbin would be covered.
            Scatter refers to Hand Guided winding.
            Machine refers to a Machine guiding the wire.
            According to the Salvarsan Table it is hard to get more than 72% coverage guiding by hand.
            I am sure there are Hand winders that can get closer to Machine wind by hand.
            The Higher percent coverage the smaller the finished bobbin diameter will be.
            The smaller bobbin will have more wraps for the length resistance of wire.
            A Scattered bobbin will have less wraps than a machine wound.
            The smaller Machine wound bobbin will be brighter than the scattered bobbin for the same DCR.

T
            Terry

Comment

Maybe... Could somebody calculate that for me? I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong :/
              You have to divide the total DC resistance of the pickup by 2, to get each coil's resistance, and then calculate that. So maybe it's a 4,963 turns per coil.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That's both coils in series. Each coil would be 3,95k.

Winding with a random pattern where you don't wind neatly. It makes the coil a little larger in size and changes the tone. Single coils are often scatter wound.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thank you again
                  Yesterday i've bought a Line6 POD2, so I dont have much money, but after Christmas i will get wire, make bobbins and start winding I think i'll do roughly 4800 winds. Somewhere between loose scatter and tight scatter.

Comment

Thank you again
                    Yesterday i've bought a Line6 POD2, so I dont have much money, but after Christmas i will get wire, make bobbins and start winding I think i'll do roughly 4800 winds. Somewhere between loose scatter and tight scatter.
                    Sounds Great.
                    So Now you have the Estimator, and have an idea how to calculate and figure different Pickups.
                    Good Luck,
                    Terry
                    Terry

Comment

Thank you everyone

Comment

Working...
                      X