This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the replies.
    Thats strange since the All-parts and SM 49.2mm bobbins I have line right up with the holes in the Mojo 50mm base plates. Every hole.... perfect. hmmm....

Thanks!
    Rob

Comment

• YEE the FORK HAA tone lovers and quest searchers. I just put a dummy coil in one of my strats and the thing is brilliant, the noise is down 80 to 90% I reckon, the tone is still good, no dramas with the tone at all. Got the idea from this ere thread http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30193/#post268901
      Here's what the coil ended up looking like (16" circumference) and here's what I wound it on. 600 turns of 36 onto the flower pot, tapered for easy removal of the coil. I put it into a strat that has a swimming pool rout, all mine do so I'll be doing this quite a lot I spose now. It's just fantastic and easy to do. Looking forward to shutting the P-90s up as well, geez, how does it happen.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
        YEE the FORK HAA tone lovers and quest searchers. I just put a dummy coil in one of my strats and the thing is brilliant, the noise is down 80 to 90% I reckon, the tone is still good, no dramas with the tone at all. Got the idea from this ere thread http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30193/#post268901
        Here's what the coil ended up looking like (16" circumference) and here's what I wound it on. 600 turns of 36 onto the flower pot, tapered for easy removal of the coil. I put it into a strat that has a swimming pool rout, all mine do so I'll be doing this quite a lot I spose now. It's just fantastic and easy to do. Looking forward to shutting the P-90s up as well, geez, how does it happen.
        Your way ahead of us on this.
        Please give more details.
        Where do you connect the ends?
        Can you connect one end to ground and the other to the center of the Vol Pot?
        Can you show a picture of how you put it in the guitar?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Your way ahead of us on this.
          Please give more details.
          Where do you connect the ends?
          Can you connect one end to ground and the other to the center of the Vol Pot?
          Can you show a picture of how you put it in the guitar?
          T
          No pic of guitar, it's simple T, you're wiring the coil in series reverse direction with all the pickups so: all 3 pickups need to be wound the same with the same mag polarity. I wind mine CW N, I wound the coil N just because that's how I did it, so the finish wire of the dumbo coil becomes the + so to speak but they're not + and - just start n fin like any coil. So you wire the coil in between the selector switch and the volume pot, see, simple. So no matter what pickup/s you have selected you're then going through the dumbo coil in the reverse direction.
          So, the + of the dumbo goes to the switch output, the other wire of the dumbo goes to the vol pot, remove the original wire from sw to pot of course. If it doesn't work you just swap the wires from the dummy.
          All these years n now I have prit near noiseless singles. What a wonderful day. Of course, you might have trouble finding the tapered flower pot brfff.
          Oh the coil with 600 turns came to around 350ohms.

Comment

YEE the FORK HAA tone lovers and quest searchers. I just put a dummy coil in one of my strats and the thing is brilliant, the noise is down 80 to 90% I reckon, the tone is still good, no dramas with the tone at all. Got the idea from this ere thread http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30193/#post268901

Seems to me there is quite a lot of joy in OZ right now. I may have to try this.

T, there is some more info in the thread that is linked in the quote. I think Steve A has been working on this idea for a while seems like also there were some older posts about this as well but I can't find them now.

Made three strat pickups today but not 100% satisfied with the outcome of the electrical testing on two of them. I thought shortening the spacing between the forbon would lower the resonance but it went the other way. Maybe there were other factors, Anyway it got me all confused, I even took apart my test rig to be sure something hadn't come loose. I'll install them tomorrow and have a listen before I do them over.
            www.sonnywalton.com
            How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
              Seems to me there is quite a lot of joy in OZ right now.
              Hey Sonny, yeas sir re, this is the best thing ever except that now all my guitars are wanting it. Brilliant.

Comment

Hey Sonny, yeas sir re, this is the best thing ever except that now all my guitars are wanting it. Brilliant.
                It does seem good. Pretty simple too, which is amazing. I guess a lot of the best ideas are like that. No telling how many times the first question someone asked me when they find out I wind pickups is "Well have you solved the hum problem on the Strats?" or words to that effect.
                www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Seems to me there is quite a lot of joy in OZ right now. I may have to try this.

T, there is some more info in the thread that is linked in the quote. I think Steve A has been working on this idea for a while seems like also there were some older posts about this as well but I can't find them now.

Made three strat pickups today but not 100% satisfied with the outcome of the electrical testing on two of them. I thought shortening the spacing between the forbon would lower the resonance but it went the other way. Maybe there were other factors, Anyway it got me all confused, I even took apart my test rig to be sure something hadn't come loose. I'll install them tomorrow and have a listen before I do them over.
                  I don't have any test gear, but IME the shorter spacing usually fattens the tone.
                  I do this on the bridge, I make the neck taller on certain guitars.
                  I wound a set of A2s today, but I havent put the hookup wires on them or potted them yet.
                  These days, I'm real hard to get started, and real easy to stop, when it comes to working!
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    I don't have any test gear, but IME the shorter spacing usually fattens the tone.
                    I do this on the bridge, I make the neck taller on certain guitars.
                    I wound a set of A2s today, but I havent put the hookup wires on them or potted them yet.
                    These days, I'm real hard to get started, and real easy to stop, when it comes to working!
                    T
                    That's what I thought too about the spacing. Just didn't seem to work out that way on the testing today, but I haven't heard them yet so I am not 100% sure what is going on exactly. They all three had the same turns, and the second one had everything about the same as the first as far as TPL and tension etc. but the taller one showed a lower peak. The third one had lower tension and the same shorter spacing with less TPL and it had a higher peak than the first one but lower than the second. The shorter ones might sound fatter anyway the peak can be funny about that stuff, with harmonics going on and all. If I end up making some more I might give them a few more turns too. The wax potting definitely lowered the resonant peak on all of them.
                    www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Congrats Ward! Approximately how thick is the OD of the 600 winds of #36 wire with the tape?

Sonny, usually a shorter bobbin will result in a darker tone but as you said, many variables get in the way. I use .406" spacers for darker Strat bridge pickups. Did you use shorter magnets along with the shorter bobbin?

I spent some time today trying to lower the inductance of my HB coils. What a drag. Wound 4 coils as close to each other as I could. Nice and slow and right around 100 turns per traverse.
                      Two were wound very tight and the other two were wound very loose. I was hoping looser wind would have less inductance. All 4 coils were within 13 ohms (yes 13 ohms) of each other yet the looser wound coils still had more inductance. Exact opposite of what I was hoping for.

Anybody care to share any tips on lowering the inductance of a HB? At 7K I cant seem to get below 4.1-4.2H
                      I'd like to see around 3.5 to 3.7 H

Rob.
                      Last edited by Stratz; 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                        Congrats Ward! Approximately how thick is the OD of the 600 winds of #36 wire with the tape?

Sonny, usually a shorter bobbin will result in a darker tone but as you said, many variables get in the way. I use .406" spacers for darker Strat bridge pickups. Did you use shorter magnets along with the shorter bobbin?

I spent some time today trying to lower the inductance of my HB coils. What a drag. Wound 4 coils as close to each other as I could. Nice and slow and right around 100 turns per traverse.
                        Two were wound very tight and the other two were wound very loose. I was hoping looser wind would have less inductance. All 4 coils were within 13 ohms (yes 13 ohms) of each other yet the looser wound coils still had more inductance. Exact opposite of what I was hoping for.

Anybody care to share any tips on lowering the inductance of a HB? At 7K I cant seem to get below 4.1-4.2H
                        I'd like to see around 3.8H

Rob.
                        Hi Rob, can't help you on the inductance but the coil wound with tape is maybe 1/4" at the most, it flattens down to 1/8 in most places but the odd bulge is bigger, lead wires n such.

Comment

Hi Rob, can't help you on the inductance but the coil wound with tape is maybe 1/4" at the most, it flattens down to 1/8 in most places but the odd bulge is bigger, lead wires n such.
                          Thanks Ward. I don't have any swimming pool routed Strats but I've been following the other thread and may try the other route for vintage S/S/S bodies.
                          I have a couple of Strat bodies that aren't vintage so I don't mind routing them to try the dummy coil.

Thanks!
                          Rob.

Comment

Rob.
                            Magnets were the same on all three. Vintage 60's strat stagger, A5 .187. The first one had the regular .436 spacing. The other two were .427, which seems to darken them just right in one of my other designs, but these were wound lower turns. I must have done something wrong, I just don't yet know what it was.

I'm not much help on the inductance either.
                            www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Thanks Ward. I don't have any swimming pool routed Strats but I've been following the other thread and may try the other route for vintage S/S/S bodies.
                              I have a couple of Strat bodies that aren't vintage so I don't mind routing them to try the dummy coil.

Thanks!
                              Rob.
                              Today is the first day of the rest of my noiselessness

Comment

I'd like to see around 3.8H

Rob.
                                Can't help on the inductance thing either.
                                I do love a low wound neck Bucker around 7k.
                                Less Magnetism, and Degauss maybe.
                                I like A2s on a neck pickup.
                                About the best A2s I ever had were some I got from Shea a couple years back.
                                They are about all gone now.
                                On my Strats I usually do .425 on the Bridge and .430 on middle, and .435 on the neck spacing!
                                The bridge, I usually wind them full of a heavy wire, less on the other two.
                                I have a large per gauge 42 heavy I use on the neck pickups.
                                Beyond that it's a CrapShoot!
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X