This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
    YEE the FORK HAA tone lovers and quest searchers. I just put a dummy coil in one of my strats and the thing is brilliant, the noise is down 80 to 90% I reckon, the tone is still good, no dramas with the tone at all. Got the idea from this ere thread http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30193/#post268901
    Here's what the coil ended up looking like (16" circumference) and here's what I wound it on. 600 turns of 36 onto the flower pot, tapered for easy removal of the coil. I put it into a strat that has a swimming pool rout, all mine do so I'll be doing this quite a lot I spose now. It's just fantastic and easy to do. Looking forward to shutting the P-90s up as well, geez, how does it happen.
    Has anyone tried installing this on the tremolo cover ,kind of like the Suhr system
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Can't help on the inductance thing either.
      I do love a low wound neck Bucker around 7k.
      Less Magnetism, and Degauss maybe.
      I like A2s on a neck pickup.
      About the best A2s I ever had were some I got from Shea a couple years back.
      They are about all gone now.
      Well, a 7K PE neck humbucker should sound very Stratty and that's what I'm after.
      I'm close but still not quite there. The inductance is too high. I know there's people here that know the answer but they wont say.
      Maybe I'll use the PM only to share my knowledge from my 35+ years of winding mostly single coils rather than post it on the forum for the mass of lurkers to see.

Way too many guests, just look at the bottom of the main page and you'll probably see something similar to "3 members and 25 guests viewing this forum" Just lurking and taking without contributing anything.

Yeah.... I'm pissed off right now.

EDIT...I just took a look at the bottom of the main page of "Pickup makers forum.

"Users Browsing this Forum
      There are currently 30 users browsing this forum. (5 members & 25 guests)
      Last edited by Stratz; 07-31-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
        Well, a 7K PE neck humbucker should sound very Stratty and that's what I'm after.
        I'm close but still not quite there. The inductance is too high. I know there's people here that know the answer but they wont say.
        Maybe I'll use the PM only to share my knowledge from my 35+ years of winding mostly single coils rather than post it on the forum for the mass of lurkers to see.

Way too many guests, just look at the bottom of the main page and you'll probably see something similar to "3 members and 25 guests viewing this forum" Just lurking and taking without contributing anything.

EDIT...I just took a look at the bottom of the main page of "Pickup makers forum.

I know what your saying, and know what you mean?
        Lot's of knowledge around here, but I guess a lot of them will take it to the grave.
        I don't know much, but willing to share.
        Like the 350 Ohm 36 Gauge wire Loop to decrease noise in a Single coil guitar.
        Steve A didn't have to share that.
        He was gracious enough to share his ideas.
        Now I'm considering making one.
        Hang in there everyone.
        T
        ** On the humbucker sounding like a Strat SC.
        On the mini blades to get the strat neck sound, I kept droping the DCR.
        The mini in the neck IMO is most Stratty using 42AWG wire at about 5-5.3k ohms.
        In humbucker form it's still plenty strong.
        With the full sized humbucker I wouldn't drop to 5.3.
        But, I would keep pealing and testing until you get the sound you are looking for.
        I'm thinking more in the 6.4-6.8k dcr range.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Like the 350 Ohm 36 Gauge wire Loop to decrease noise in a Single coil guitar.
          Steve A didn't have to share that.
          He was gracious enough to share his ideas.
          Now I'm considering making one.
          Hang in there everyone.T
          I'm trying to score some wire as well ,I wonder what the best size of wire would be to use ?

Comment

• blare
            Last edited by Ward; 07-31-2012, 11:42 PM.

Comment

One thing I don't like about this place is that after 24hrs you can't edit your posts. Why should I post a pic and have it up for eternity when I might just be wanting to show one or two of you here and then take it down, and let's get some decent emoticons ala the Metro forum, and while I'm making a wish list, where the hell is everyone these days, off guarding their little tpls n shit. Where's the face palm emoticon.

Comment

• The way everyone is Venting, there must be a Full Moon!
                Just Kidding!
                I thought life was pretty good, these days.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                  and let's get some decent emoticons ala the Metro forum, and while I'm making a wish list, where the hell is everyone these days, off guarding their little tpls n shit. Where's the face palm emoticon.
                  Cool emoticons!!! ...Oh SORRY !!!!! wrong smiley...Im Banned

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                    Cool emoticons!!! ...Oh SORRY !!!!! wrong smiley...Im Banned
                    So I guess you copy paste the emoticons from another sight?
                    Banned, Your not banned!
                    I figure you have been busy in your new man Cave!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

• Been busy ....Finishing a guitar,building an amp cab ,& winding pickups

Comment

Just a comment. I don't know why but the forum will log me out after a while. I am on other forums using the same vBulletin software that don't do that. Maybe it is my browser I don't know. But I end up being a guest a lot of times unless I start to post something. I usually have to log in to post. And even sometimes if I take too long writing my tome I will get logged out before I hit the post button and have to log in again and find the thread again then use restore saved content.
                        I'd bet that I'm not the only one.
                        www.sonnywalton.com
                        How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                          Just a comment. I don't know why but the forum will log me out after a while. I am on other forums using the same vBulletin software that don't do that. Maybe it is my browser I don't know. But I end up being a guest a lot of times unless I start to post something. I usually have to log in to post. And even sometimes if I take too long writing my tome I will get logged out before I hit the post button and have to log in again and find the thread again then use restore saved content.
                          I'd bet that I'm not the only one.
                          Also some of those can be search engine bots.
                          The Admin on another forum figured that out on his site.
                          What's going on in the Lone star state?
                          It's still hotter than hell here in Ark&saw!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

The way everyone is Venting, there must be a Full Moon!
                            Just Kidding!
                            I thought life was pretty good, these days.
                            T
                            T, you are 99% correct on the moon phase. Not kidding... It is at 99% right now.

Current Moon Phase
                            www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Also some of those can be search engine bots.
                              The Admin on another forum figured that out on his site.
                              What's going on in the Lone star state?
                              It's still hotter than hell here in Ark&saw!
                              T
                              It was 107F here today at 2pm. I had to do other stuff inside the house instead of working on pickups. So I put the three grey bottom strat pickups that I had made the other day into my beater strat and played them. They sounded OK for country but too bright for this customer I am sure of that. One thing that was going on was the DCR, which came out low compared to the specs I was using. So that accounted for a lot of the discrepancies I saw with the spacing and resonant peaks. I wound to the turns count that is posted lots of places for the 1965 which was 7626 turns supposed to get 5.8k on .0026 #42 wire. I miked all the wire I had and came up with 2 rolls of 42PE that measured .0026. I used one of them but I got 5.4k instead of 5.8k all said and done. That is temperature corrected too. So the next ones will be about 500 more turns and I think they will be fine. I'll just save these for a country player. Not much else going on.
                              www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                                It was 107F here today at 2pm. I had to do other stuff inside the house instead of working on pickups. So I put the three grey bottom strat pickups that I had made the other day into my beater strat and played them. They sounded OK for country but too bright for this customer I am sure of that. One thing that was going on was the DCR, which came out low compared to the specs I was using. So that accounted for a lot of the discrepancies I saw with the spacing and resonant peaks. I wound to the turns count that is posted lots of places for the 1965 which was 7626 turns supposed to get 5.8k on .0026 #42 wire. I miked all the wire I had and came up with 2 rolls of 42PE that measured .0026. I used one of them but I got 5.4k instead of 5.8k all said and done. That is temperature corrected too. So the next ones will be about 500 more turns and I think they will be fine. I'll just save these for a country player. Not much else going on.
                                I bet you will get them to suit.
                                Were all three the same, or do you have different DCRs for the middle and Bridge?
                                I still haven't finished my A2s. I warmed up the wax and never used it.
                                I Did Farming Chores today in the sun.
                                I got too hot.
                                I will try to finish and test them tomorrow.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X