Not having a band saw.

I was thinking a junior hacksaw.

Originally posted by Kesh View Post
    Not having a band saw.

I was thinking a junior hacksaw.
    Hi Kesh:
    Welcome.
    You can cut it with most saws.
    If I can't buy the laser cut fiber from Mojo or StewMac, I cut it with a sabre, or jig saw.
    Then sand the edges smooth.
    Be careful around the dust, it doesn't breath too good.
    I use a dust respirator when I am working with it.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

OK, thanks, but by hand tool, I meant unpowered.

Anyway, after some experimenting I found the smoothest cut, with very little dust, was using a large serrated kitchen knife! Not sawing, but stroked across the fibreboard's surface along a straight edge.
      Last edited by Kesh; 07-17-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

OK, thanks, but by hand tool, I meant unpowered.

Anyway, after some experimenting I found the smoothest cut, with very little dust, was using a large serrated kitchen knife! Not sawing, but stroked across the fibreboard's surface along a straight edge.
        Sorry, I think of hand tools with motors. lol
        Also you can try a fine tooth Hand powered hacksaw.
        What are you building, I'm curious?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Yes, 32 tpi hacksaw was my guess originally.

I'm renovating a bass I found in a junk shop, jazz configuration, and decided to put try and make a precision pickup for it, as only the bridge pickup was intact (and no electrics), and I like the PJ configuration.

Comment

AKA a bread knife?
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Yes, 32 tpi hacksaw was my guess originally.

I'm renovating a bass I found in a junk shop, jazz configuration, and decided to put try and make a precision pickup for it, as only the bridge pickup was intact (and no electrics), and I like the PJ configuration.
              Sounds good.
              Did you see the ones I'm in process of putting in a bass.
              Pickup Photos!
              T
              Terry

Comment

More of a cook's knife shape, but with a finely serrated edge

Comment

More of a cook's knife shape, but with a finely serrated edge
                  Have you tried a coping saw? That is what I have used, or sometimes to put a fine edge on it a jewelers saw with a #0 blade such as would be used for inlay work.
                  www.sonnywalton.com
                  How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                    Have you tried a coping saw? That is what I have used, or sometimes to put a fine edge on it a jewelers saw with a #0 blade such as would be used for inlay work.
                    Yeah, first think I tried, and a fret saw, but as I'm aiming for a straight line it's not ideal, and the tpi is a little low on a coping saw. My kitchen knife works beautifully though, I don't know why, but problem solved.

Comment

Yeah, first think I tried, and a fret saw, but as I'm aiming for a straight line it's not ideal, and the tpi is a little low. My kitchen knife works beautifully though, I don't know why, but problem solved.
                      What about an electric knife?
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

A very sharp wood chisel works great for cutting the straight edges, just a little sanding afterwards. You can drill the rod magnet holes with a drill press. If you don't have a drill press you can use a "Belt punch" or leather punch .

Click image for larger version

Name:	791lp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	825455

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                          A very sharp wood chisel works great for cutting the straight edges, just a little sanding afterwards. You can drill the rod magnet holes with a drill press. If you don't have a drill press you can use a "Belt punch" or leather punch .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19245[/ATTACH]
                          I drilled them with hand drill, top and bottom flats clamped together, and clamped to an old pickup case as a jig.

Comment

If you need to cut a hole in the centre of the flatwork (holes for rails/bars etc) then small Jeweller's hacksaws work really well. They have a buttload of TPI and cut through really easily, handy tool for a bunch of things to have floating around the shop.

Comment

Working...
                            X