• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You bet!
    I have a room full of Rondo guitars.
    GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Does anyone make and like a hot 43AWG Strat Bridge SC?
      Was thinking of making a hot 4/2 A3/A5, for a import I have here?
      Maybe in the 10,000 turn range?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Does anyone make and like a hot 43AWG Strat Bridge SC?
        Was thinking of making a hot 4/2 A3/A5, for a import I have here?
        Maybe in the 10,000 turn range?
        T
        I've never wound one with 43 as I thought it might be a little thin and tinny. I'd be interested in how it turns out. I do wind a hot Strat bridge with 42 to 10,000 turns (all A5's). Comes in just a little north of 7.6kΩ/3.6henries and has noticeably more kick than my lower bridge winds. The bobbin is starting to get close to full, but I could probably squeeze on another 500 turns.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

• It would be a interesting experiment.
          Maybe I need to kick it up to 12,000 turns or so, being you get that much of 42?
          It's interesting on the Coil estimator, you get one ohm per turn with 43!
          10k turns, shows 10k ohms. That's at 90%, and that is how my Hand winding always seems to turn out.
          T
          Terry

Comment

It would be a interesting experiment.
            Maybe I need to kick it up to 12,000 turns or so, being you get that much of 42?
            It's interesting on the Coil estimator, you get one ohm per turn with 43!
            10k turns, shows 10k ohms. That's at 90%, and that is how my Hand winding always seems to turn out.
            T
            My wire laydown is pretty consistent which may be part of the reason I can get 10,000 of 42 on with a little room to spare. I don't use a lot of tension though. I think you could squeeze on a fair bit more 43. It would be interesting to assess the tonal characteristic differences compared to a high wind 42 bridge.
            Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

• I've been accused of over using the Estimator, but since I do a lot of Arm Chair winding?
              Here's some more!
              42, and 43 versions.
              Attached Files
              Terry

Comment

I've been accused of over using the Estimator, but since I do a lot of Arm Chair winding?
                Here's some more!
                42, and 43 versions.
                Seems about right on the 42 @ 7.7kΩ for my winder/winding style. I find the turns number on the estimator is always somewhere between the loose and tight machine wind estimate for me for 42.
                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                VA3DEF

Comment

• I've done one with 43 to 8600T = 9.3K. 3.25H with A2s. Never gone any higher, though. Sounded good, but I preferred the 42 for that level of winds.

cheers,
                  Jack Briggs

sigpic
                  www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

• Terry, I make a "Shorty" Strat bridge pickup.
                    ~.400" bobbin height with .630" A5 or A2 mags.
                    Hand wound 9,350 winds of 43 gauge single build comes in at ~9.5k.
                    I've gone hotter but it gets a bit too stiff.
                    The shorter bobbin helps a lot.

Comment

• I make one for my Gilmour set "Black Strat" Bridge 12.8k wound with 43 gauge wire 12&1/2kloops of wire
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                        12&1/2kloops of wire
                        Whats a "kloop"
                        Some kind of secret wind

Comment

• It's part of the code
                          k= ?
                          loop=?
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• I make a lot of 43AWG Strat Bridge SCs, usually 11.500 turns and A3/5. I like them and customers seem to like them too.
                            I've also tried a Stratz-like recipe and it worked pretty well in my opinion.
                            Last edited by Alberto; 10-16-2015, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Thanks guys for sharing about high output strat pickups.
                              What all variations of a tele neck do you guys like.
                              I needed a stronger neck pickup for a 3 pickup blues tele.
                              The 43awg model I was using was weaker than the bridge, and strat middle pickup.
                              So I made a Tele neck using all .688 x .197" A5 magnets.
                              I used 7800 turns of a small 42SP wire I had.
                              It turned out great, at around 5.6k ohms, and was stronger than the middle strat pickup, and had a nice stratty sound.
                              The larger A5 magnets worked good through the nickel cover.
                              What variations of the tele neck do you make?
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

• I've got some 42 1/2 already, here's a smoking deal for someone who might like to experiment with some.
                                Full Spool 42 1 2 AWG Copper Wire 1 61 Lbs | eBay

Comment

Working...
                                X