Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

before buying anything, some questions!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• before buying anything, some questions!!!

well first i´ll introduce myself. i´m ototo, from Spain, and I build guitars as a hobby (if they could be named guitars XD)
    it´s been a wile since I´ve thought about building my own pickups for my proyects.
    i´ve got some doubts, as normal, cause i´m too noob.
    -firstly, i haven´t seen any seller at europe to buy pickup parts, i´ll appreciate if any one can tell me any online store.
    -secondly, i realy don´t know if my idea of building a p90 soapbar with 43 wire gauge and ceramic 8 magnets, is as good as I imagine. im looking for hot pickup. like 12 ohm in bridge and 10 in the neck . but i don´t know if 43 gauge is thinner enough.
    im still reading and reading, and still have doubts, and also the idiom isnt making it easier .
    thnx to all.!!

oh sorry, I forgot to say that i´m finishing my totally recicled winder. i´ll upload fotos as soon as i can soo that you all can laugh at me, lol

Comment

ototo,
      Welcome to the forum. I can offer some advice on the subject, being that I wind P-90 pickups often. Depending on how it is wound, you may be able to get 11-12k on a P-90 bobbin using AWG43 wire. Maybe using 44 will get you there, but for a beginner, this has its challenges. The wire is very thin and breaks easy. You could look into the possibility of winding a mini-humbucker and putting a P-90 cover on it to cut down on hum.
      I have never been a fan of Ceramic 8 for a P-90...but, I am more of a vintage spec kinda guy. Now, to totally contradict myself, I recently did a hot wind on a P-90 bridge pickup and used Alnico 8 magnets... No good to my ears. All I can say is, if you want to get into pickup winding, you will wind a ton of pickups that do not sound good.

So great suppliers are
      Amp Parts, Cabinets, Guitar, Bass, Pickups, Pedals - Mojotone.com
      www.addiction-fx.com
      Welcome To Remington Industries | Remington Industries for wire

The coil estimator is a good reference to see if you will be able to wind the P-90 bobbin to the resistance that you are looking to achieve. Coil Estimator

Good Luck

Comment

ototo,
        P-90's make great high output pickups. If the C8 doesn't work for you you can always stick different magnets in there. 42ga works really well for p-90's and can sound remarkable for metal, if that is what you are into. Try 14,000 winds of 42ga SPN with those C8 magnets for the bridge. Then, if you hate it you can try some C5, A6, Low-perm A8, or maybe even A5(in that order). I would be tempted to discharge those C8 a tiny bit using the bigteee method. C8 will gain a bit of permeability when you use that method, that will help out a lot

Comment

Originally posted by ototo View Post
          i haven´t seen any seller at europe to buy pickup parts, i´ll appreciate if any one can tell me any online store.
          I just bought a couple of humbucker kits from these guys. They also have P90 kits and they deliver anywhere in Europe.

Also try a search on ebay - that's where I got my magnet wire.

Comment

thnks for you all for the help. i´m simply lost and since the other day ,that i realiced that my winder would not last a single wind, I just got depressed.
            i´ll explain. I used a motor taken from a water pump whos seals were broken, i just instaled a transformer so that i could regulate the speed. it just took me a week to find a method to count each spin, and finaly, y test it... just 5 minutes counting... i touch the motor and it was burning. of course... it was designed to get cooled with the water it moves...
            then i just got depressed, but well i wont give up so easy. now i´m building a new winder... it´s simply betternext weekend i´ll upload fotos, i promise.

i bought 1 kg of 43awg enameled copper from remington on ebay. why? because after reading i just thought that it might be what i need. i´ll do one humbuker, some single coils, and the p90`s. the p90´s will be for the next guitar, (it´s in process) and the humbuker is for the bridge of muy home build flying v. the single coils are just for a test.

mcgruff and RCI Guitars: thnks for all, i took a look at those links and are great! that p90 kit looks nice, but they don´t sale magnets apart...mojotone and a-fx might be my choice for the magnets... even with 50 dols. on shipping. i don´t find stores in europe...

i´m sorry for all the grammar and vocabulary errors.

and thnks to all¡¡¡ this is a great forum¡¡

Comment

Stick at it Once you've got a good winder sorted out, the rest will all fall into place.

Comment

ototoLet me inform you that you seriously violated the codex of this forum... Building guitars from scratch and not posting pictures!? Well I guess you'll get away with it being new and all.

Greetings from Sweden!
                Last edited by überfuzz; 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM.
                In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Keep at it ototo!

My first winders weren't successful. I would be ashamed if anyone saw them

I would like to comment that you don't need such a huge motor. Sewing machine motors are quite popular, but you can use a really small motor. My winder uses 700mA total and it has a bunch of stuff, including lights on it. So, with that in mind, maybe you will see more possibilities for motors to wind with.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgruff View Post
                    I just bought a couple of humbucker kits from these guys. They also have P90 kits and they deliver anywhere in Europe.

Also try a search on ebay - that's where I got my magnet wire.
                    Those Kits look nice.
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

I'm a noob at this so I've nothing to compare them to but looks good so far. Several magnet options and lead wire, slugs & other bits all seem to be included in the kit. Only extra you need is some magnet wire.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgruff View Post
                        I'm a noob at this so I've nothing to compare them to but looks good so far. Several magnet options and lead wire, slugs & other bits all seem to be included in the kit. Only extra you need is some magnet wire.
                        They even include some paper tape.
                        I have never seen that in a kit.
                        I have been winding these kits from mojo lately.
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Ototo,

you've made me very sad with your post. Never give up...never surrender!! That is the attitude of a pickup winding man!! Shipping is crazy...but, $50.00? I just shipped to Norway a few sets of pickups for much less then that. Hell...what kind of magnets are you looking for? I'll sell them to you at my cost and ship them at cost also. You need to get this project going again...you could change the world with your pickups.

Comment

no! i wont give up! my frst guitar was unplayable, and i didn´t give up, the second one looks nice... almost xd and it is playable. I wish my pickups to be like it. now i´m uploading some fotos of my actual project, more or less... cause it´s been time since i took them but... it´s what i´ve got. ¡¡¡
                            and thnks for all. ¡¡¡¡
                            it really feels nice reading your replies¡¡ i feel stronger hehehe.

Comment

well well well, letts see..
                              this is my own design . here the rough shape. the neck here... is going to be changed by a mahogany neck.

here some of the neck... in process... hehe

and here... how i made the "belly"

now it is all paused. i bought ebony for the fingerboard, and mahogany for the neck (25" prs scale). i think that i´m going to instal a wilkingson bridge.. like an stratocaster bridge, and some p90´s,

Comment

Working...
                              X