Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim, are you sure that the bobbin height (winding area) was .250"- 1/4" ????
    Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
      Jim, are you sure that the bobbin height (winding area) was .250"- 1/4" ????
      Thanks
      It was definitely 1/4" (.250"). Outside to outside (top to bottom) of the bobbin was .3125", which leaves about leaves about .0625 for the combined thickness of the top and bottom flanges. Here's a shot I took of the profile after I had cleaned it up a bit. Very flimsy bobbin for sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3483.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	843161

Here's my wind sheet where you can see the bobbin height I sent the winder to for the various stages I wound it in.

Name:	74 Mini Rewind.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	843162

I usually wind a few wire widths less than the bobbin height to get a more rounded looking coil wind.
      Last edited by kayakerca; 07-27-2016, 02:42 PM.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

• Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
        Had a set of Zebra Dirty Fingers Humbuckers from a 1980 Gibson Sonex in the shop today from a local guitar technician. I'm guessing Dirty Fingers based on other stuff I've read.

Was asked to remove the original 2 X 1 conductor braided shield/ground wiring and replace with a 4 conduction, ground, foil shield setup.

Double Screw Bobbins with 3 Magnets per pickup (n-s, s-n, n-s). When I opened up the package, I hadn't realized there was going to be a copper shield layer around the set of coils.

Output P/U A:
        Cream Side: 8.15kΩ
        Black Side: 8.13kΩ

Output P/U B:
        Cream Side: 7.93kΩ
        Black Side: 8.4kΩ

The combined output for the original serial hookup was ~ 16.3kΩ as per above @ 74.4°F. To fit ~ 8kΩ on each bobbin, I'm guessing 44 gauge wire.

Just thought I'd pass along the spec's and some pic's for those that might be interested.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31679[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]31680[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31681[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31682[/ATTACH]
        ** I copied this post over here at the rewind thread, for a rewind informational record.
        These have been popular lately.
        I also presume the wire is 44.
        wonder how many turns to get 8K ?
        I calculate it to be around 7000 turns of 44?
        Any additional rewind discussion would be great.
        Has anyone actually rewound one of these?
        The three magnets are also of interest.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• 1980 Dirty Fingers Pickup Rewind

I recently rewound a vintage Dirty Fingers, out of a 1980 Gibson Sonex-180.
          The pickup uses 2- 49.2mm Era correct bobbins, the bobbins had no markings top or bottom.
          The pickup was already modified for 4 wire cable.
          The baseplate is the typical short leg Tim Shaw Era baseplate with same patent number on the rear.
          The Cream bobbin was open.
          I mic'd the wire at .00225-.0023".
          The TPL was around 65-70 turns per layer.
          The Large center magnet measured, 2.40"L x .440"W x .210"Thick, gauss was 1150.
          The 2 outside magnets measured, 2.38"L x .255"W x .215"Thick, gauss of 1000 each.
          The Black bobbin was Polarized South, the Cream bobbin was polarized North.
          The Gauss at the top of the screws of each bobbin measured over 700 Gauss.
          Which is really stout for a humbucker.
          Wonder if the magnets are C5 or C8, the Gauss is less than C8s I've used?
          Both bobbins were wound CCW, or Facing the Winder, using right arm, Top Going.
          To get the little over 8K+ ohms DCR per bobbin, I used 7100 turns of Natural 44 SP wire.
          Here are the before and after pictures.
          The Data Layout, includes the mic'd measurements of the cream bobbin.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by big_teee; 10-21-2016, 02:44 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• Here's some Rewind Data for Jazz bass pickups.
            Both pre CBS, and Post CBS.
            My personal preference is to go low on the neck and high on the bridge.
            This is stock type data.
            T
            **Edited the pre-cbs neck and bridge.
            It took a while, the site kept crashing.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by big_teee; 01-22-2017, 07:18 PM.
            Terry

Comment

• Thank you.

Comment

• Anyone have any spec's (DCR) they would be willing to share for '56 Silvertone? Have a neck to rewind for one next week.

Name:	Silvertone 1.jpg
Size:	479.7 KB
ID:	845146 Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvertone 2.jpg
Size:	584.0 KB
ID:	845147
                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                VA3DEF

Comment

• I'm just speculating based on the picture, but is that the same as the pickups on the Kay Thin Twin?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                    I'm just speculating based on the picture, but is that the same as the pickups on the Kay Thin Twin?
                    Definitely a Kay, but I haven't seen the rest of the guitar at this point (aside from not being familiar with the Thin Twin, but the pickguard looks very similar to Thin Twins images I find on the internet). Heading out to Kanata to pickup it up on Tuesday.
                    Take Care,

Jim. . .
                    VA3DEF

Comment

Anyone have any spec's (DCR) they would be willing to share for '56 Silvertone? Have a neck to rewind for one next week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42989[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]42990[/ATTACH]
                      I would appreciate any bobbin dimensions, and specs for this pickup, for the pickup library?
                      If you have them handy?
                      Thanks,
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

• Re: 56 Silvertone (by Kay) bobbin dimensions (Pickup Coil Estimator "variables").

Length: 2.948"
                        Width: .505"
                        Height: .250
                        Flange: 1.45"

Wire: 42HFV
                        Flatwork: .032" Forbon (top and bottom)

There are a few shots of the pickup.

Name:	Silvertone 1.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	845247Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvertone 1a.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	845248Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvertone 2.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	845249

Name:	Silvertone 3.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	845250Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvertone 4.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	845251Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvertone 5.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	845252

The only real evidence of the rewind after it is all said and done are the black leads. Originally they were blue as in the pre rewind images. Don't know what it is going to sound like, but I wound it to ~ 6.7kΩ. Neck was 5.53kΩ so I intentionally gave the bridge rewind bit of a "bump" relatively. With that bar magnet, it's going to be one wicked powerful 6.7kΩ pickup on the meter as the inductance was ~ 4.3 henrys.

Put the original paper wrap back on the outside to finish it up. Patina, patina, patina. . .
                        Take Care,

Jim. . .
                        VA3DEF

Comment

Re: 56 Silvertone (by Kay) bobbin dimensions (Pickup Coil Estimator "variables").

Length: 2.948"
                          Width: .505"
                          Height: .250
                          Flange: 1.45"

Wire: 42HFV
                          Flatwork: .032" Forbon (top and bottom)

There are a few shots of the pickup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43145[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43146[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43147[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43148[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43149[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43150[/ATTACH]

The only real evidence of the rewind after it is all said and done are the black leads. Originally they were blue as in the pre rewind images. Don't know what it is going to sound like, but I wound it to ~ 6.7kΩ. Neck was 5.53kΩ so I intentionally gave the bridge rewind bit of a "bump" relatively. With that bar magnet, it's going to be one wicked powerful 6.7kΩ pickup on the meter as the inductance was ~ 4.3 henrys.

Put the original paper wrap back on the outside to finish it up. Patina, patina, patina. . .
                          GREAT JOB!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

• Here's what I came up with, hope I read the data right.
                            I called the magnet A5, let me know if that is wrong.
                            Thanks,
                            T
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by big_teee; 04-11-2017, 03:05 AM.
                            Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Here's what I came up with, hope I read the data right.
                              I called the magnet A5, let me know if that is wrong.
                              Thanks,
                              T
                              Those definitely look fair based on my wind results. Not sure about the magnet. I didn't want to remove the cover from the magnet. Measuring from the outside of the chrome cover I got ~ 600 - 700 area. Could make it an A2 or an A5 seemingly lower charge because of the airspace distance from the top of the cover to the magnet edge.
                              Take Care,

Jim. . .
                              VA3DEF
                              ____________________________________________________
                              In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever, “When everyone is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking.”

Comment

• Got a couple here to do from one customer at the moment I forget what they are as I was contacted by phone with very poor cell service

Name:	IMG_0250.JPG
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	845341Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.JPG
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	845342Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254.JPG
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	845343Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.JPG
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	845344Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.JPG
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	845345
                                If i remember correctly the pickup attached to pots assembly is some sort of Fender pickup
                                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
                                X