First shot at single size HB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First shot at single size HB

I managed to get a Strat size one wound using 42 PE.

2400 winds per coil-scatter and I'd say pretty tight on tension. (finger)

Each coil read 1.8 something (at work and don't remember exact) and 3.8 together.

I was expecting to be 4. +
    Do you think so too?

I haven't heard it yet but hope to sometime this week.

So I wound another one. 2500 winds per coil and it read 3.8 something too! Geeze what's up with that?

It was a trying first shot. I should have filmed the trip- would have been funny now that I'm looking back.
    Even the iron give up...but I like my new one better...always seems to be a good side I guess and I didn't super glue any body parts...that's a first too.

If I get them worth using I hope I figure out a way to keep the tops of the bobbins on the same plain. Hate to try more glue - want the tops to stay clean.

Which bobbin are you using.
    The half round bobbin, or the smaller rounded bobbin?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

The rounded.

Comment

I only use the half round.
        They are a bit larger, and hold more wire.
        T
        Attached Files
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Try using 43 gauge wire and see if you like the tonal results with that. How did your first and second winds sound? Also, you might want to try a modest coil offset, say 10%, and see if you like that sound.

In my book its all about experimenting until you get the sound your after. Keep plenty of notes on each attempt.

Good Luck...keep us posted.
          =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

I haven't heard either yet. I just finished potting them last night.

Just curious about the readings seeming low to me.

If these work out for neck position I planned on going to 43 for an attempt for bridge.

Thanks Jim- I can always use good luck.

Comment

You may be using lots of scatter?
              Here's a 42S 2500 ohm Layout that should fit OK.
              Also to aid in tension, wind the coil with the blade in the bobbin.
              That will prevent collapse, and allow steady tension.
              I also ran a 43S Layout for comparison.
              T
              Attached Files
              Last edited by big_teee; 08-17-2015, 04:58 PM.
              Terry

Comment

Maybe if one of those showed what ohms may be with the number of wraps I made it would mean something to me but thanks for the effort.

Comment

I was trying to show you what would fit on the bobbin, the number of turns is up to you.
                  Here's one in your ball park.
                  There is very little data on this style of pickup.
                  So you get into the Roll Your own Data scenario.
                  GL,
                  T
                  Attached Files
                  Terry

Comment

Now that one answers my question. It's showing almost exactly what I have.

Now I'm thinking that having the blade in while winding and I'll be on target.

Since I haven't had any success trying to use the estimator I appreciate your help Terry....and yes I've tried numerous times.
                    If the bobbin type indicated in yours is one of the drop down selections- it's not on it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwannano View Post
                      Now that one answers my question. It's showing almost exactly what I have.

Now I'm thinking that having the blade in while winding and I'll be on target.

Since I haven't had any success trying to use the estimator I appreciate your help Terry....and yes I've tried numerous times.
                      If the bobbin type indicated in yours is one of the drop down selections- it's not on it for me.
                      No it's not on your drop down selection.
                      It's something I mess with a lot, and I added that bobbin measurement data here today!
                      It is strictly an estimate, and not actual, but is a great design guide, and tool.
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 08-17-2015, 10:55 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

Here's the half round bobbin for comparison.
                        It's core has different dimensions, so the turns count is a bit different.
                        Attached Files
                        Terry

Comment

Use 43 or 44 gauge (you can also wind 1 bobbin with 43 gauge and one with 44 gauge) and fill them up.
                          They'll take about 7,000 winds of 43 and 8,500 w of 44 with my auto winder. A bit less by hand If I recall.
                          The DCR will be ~ 15-17k.
                          The specs you listed (2400 winds per coil of AWG 42) will most likely sound very thin and weak.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                            Use 43 or 44 gauge (you can also wind 1 bobbin with 43 gauge and one with 44 gauge) and fill them up.
                            They'll take about 7,000 winds of 43 and 8,500 w of 44 with my auto winder. A bit less by hand If I recall.
                            The DCR will be ~ 15-17k.
                            The specs you listed (2400 winds per coil of AWG 42) will most likely sound very thin and weak.

Good luck.
                            Thank Straz.

I was thinking the results would be as you mentioned but when I considered what Joe Barden has done and DiMarzio (with "The Cruiser" - at @ 3.13 Kohm) I thought I'd start trying with 42.

I'm also getting the parts for the half-moon style to see how they work out.

I like the looks of the rounds but it's hard to keep both coils even - on the same plain. I've wound two and both of them have one coil that the top wants to slide up under the top of the other as if there needs to be a spacer. The edges are tapered so I didn't try gluing them and also because I didn't want to chance glue getting on the tops and looking a mess.

I've participated on numerous forums but none give me hassles when trying to post like this one. Keeps me from posting much so probably a good thing.

Comment

I like 42 for neck and middle.
                              My 3 blade tele is low wound 42, and they sound great.
                              Especially If you want more of that CW twang.
                              On Strats, Most guys just want the blade P/U in the bridge, SSH.
                              And I usually do a 15k 44awg bridge blade bucker for that.
                              GL,
                              T
                              **Edit
                              Here's a screen shot of the 44 bridge.
                              It is getting pretty full at 7700 ohms.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by big_teee; 08-20-2015, 12:51 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X