Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help verify quick my humbucker bobbin wiring in relation to wind direction and phase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help verify quick my humbucker bobbin wiring in relation to wind direction and phase?

Hello, I am new to making humbuckers. I've made maybe 5 or 6 so far. I just need some peace of mind that I'm wiring them correctly.
    They aren't sounding as powerful as I think they should be, so I want to completely rule out if it's an issue with my wiring.

I have done some research but I still get confused when I see people's pigtail leads coming from opposite sides of mine, and the nomenclature of Reverse Wound vs Reverse Connected.

So anyways this is exactly what I've been doing,:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HumbuckerDiagL.JPG
Views:	777
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	929113

1. Both Slug and Screw bobbins are wound in the same direction on my machine, the bobbin is on the right side of my machine spinning away from me.
    2. I'm using black pigtails for my "starts", and white pigtails for my "finishes"
    3. I'm wiring South Start (black screw side) to Ground
    4. South Finish (white screw side) to North White Finish (white slug side)
    5. North Black Start (black slug side) to Hot

If someone could just let me know if this is correct, I would greatly appreciate it.

I should add, one of the major points of confusion for me is I see many diagrams and examples where both finishes are on the "inside" of both bobbins (facing each other) and the starts are on the outsides.
    Because I'm winding both my bobbins in the same direction, both my bobbins have start wire on the top edge and finish wire on the bottom edge (see my original picture)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	duncans.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	929115

Comment

Your winding and wiring should work fine.
      I've wound them just like that.
      If you follow the signal around one bobbin, the signal is going one direction.
      When you tie the finish leads together, the signal is then going the other direction, in the other bobbin.
      Making it a humbucker.
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

On the wires facing, inside, or outside?
        The old originals had the start lead go through the hole in the bottom.
        Vintage pickups still use the hole or a sawed notch in the bottom.
        If the leads do actually come out opposite sides?
        Then probably, one bobbin is wound one direction, and the other bobbin the other direction.
        That would change the wiring layout.
        T
        **If anyone has anything to add or contribute, please do!
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Thank you for the responses and those links, that LiamsReseach one looks like a goldmine. I'll be busy reading tonight

Comment

This link is also a great explanation of phasing of why you wire them that way

https://www.electricherald.com/guitar-phase-switching/

Comment

Working...
            X