Repotting Neodymium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repotting Neodymium

I have a tele bridge pickup I rendered microphonic by staring at it too hard (handling, but its super delicate). Its cloth braid/with the barest bit of wax. But... the magnet is neodymium and since it dies at 80C even a double boiler is not guaranteed safe.

I have like one loose winding. How do I best save it. Shellac? CA glue? Its a GFS Neovin.I don't expect CA to stick to wax. Nor much of anything else. Any suggestions? If i can fix it in the plate thats even better because handling a cloth wound pickup in a tight plate is how it got damaged in the first place
    The prince and the count always insist on tubes being healthy before they're broken

While the Curie temperature of Neo magnets is above 300°C, some types start to lose some strength above 80°C.
    The irreversible loss up to 120°C is typically below 10%.
    It is hard to believe that a Neo magnet "died" at a potting temperature of 80°C.
    Pure paraffin potting is possible at 70°C.

What do you mean with "in the plate"?
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I mean without dismounting it from the Telecaster bridge plate, as handling that is how I got here (twice, I had a Neovin that was microphonic, i replaced it for a Neovin Hard Vintage i had laying around and did the same to it).

I didn't figure I could dip it like that but I thought maybe a gentle heat could remelt everything in place.
      The prince and the count always insist on tubes being healthy before they're broken

Comment

A few loose outer turns won't cause noticeable microphonics.
        If the problem increased over time I would contact the manufacturer.

Apart from that, all Tele bridge PUs are somewhat microphonic because they're mounted in/on a ferromagnetic steel plate.
        Remedy: Find a non-magnetic stainless steel bridge plate.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-06-2023, 10:10 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

On further inspection I think the birds nest is actually the tele string. When I set my sights on a tele I had no idea this was a whole nother level of guitar player juju and superstition beyond other electric guitar players.

Comment

Sorry, no idea what you mean.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Apparently tradition is that telecaster pickups protect the windings with string rather than cloth tape/ribbon. I snagged a bit of string, not wire. I knew there was essentially no way to 6k worth of cloth insulated wire on the bobbin.

Comment

Originally posted by NateS View Post
                I snagged a bit of string, not wire.
                So what was the result?

I thought this was about a microphonic PU ?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It is. I'm currently thinking it's bridgeplate/spring/mounting. I just drilled and countersunk two holes iin the forward edge after confirming that the front edge was lifting. Depending on what else happens before it gets fixed I may go as far as mounting the pickup to wood. (leaving the bridgeplate). The baseplate seems to be solid, so far the only thing I have confirmed to be microphonic is the bridge plate itself (tap on the front edge, audible results), and using a lightly sprung pickup mounting.

Comment

Working...
                  X