cnc winder controller board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David King View Post
    I'd like to think that people who makes pickups will own a drill press at least. The guys I know who want an automated pickup winder are all guitar makers and will have jointers, tablesaws, planers and routers too (but no money).
    lol Yeah, I have a table saw, routers, drill press and a milling machine at the shop. And no money.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• A totally different approach would be to start with one of these:
      - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Replace the motor, speed control and belt with our spindle stepper either mounted on the back in direct drive, or underneath with 1:1 or 2:1 cogged belt.

Mount the traverse mechanism directly on the bed or on the tool post base.

Use the existing faceplate and tailstock.

Benefit is quiet stepper operation as the cast iron dampens noise very well.
      Lots of room for stacking pickups and winding several/many coils at once. Good bearing with no alignment problems. A really solid foundation for not too much money.

Now if we could just think of a way to use the DC motor and speed control for something else. I guess we can always sell them to hand winders.

Perhaps these could be ordered from the factory without the motor and speed control?
      Attached Files

Comment

• That was my plan in the beginning, to use a small lathe.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• These small, ball bearing end brackets are also available from the same co that sells the 3/8" x 10 tpi acme and the delrin flange nuts. I asked them about a quantity order...
          Widgitmaster Inc.
          I don't think the ball bearing is going to be that important. I was just planing on using solid delrin flange bushings at each end as I can make these quick and easy.
          Do we have as many as 5 takers or is it just going to be David Schwab and myself for now? Just curious.

Comment

Joe we are no longer considering a servo tensioner with feedback loop or trying to alter tension mid turn. Instead the solenoid will just apply a constant pressure that's regulated in 100 steps by the controller.
            OK.

Dancers are fine but they always have a resonant frequency where they end up doing more harm than good. Dan (Immoderator) has suggested keeping 1-2 feet of wire between the tensioner and the coil to minimize localized stretching and breaking.
            One must design the tensioner to have a sufficiently high mechanical resonant frequency. A fishpole dancer made of music wire with a simple (and very light) wire dispenser is my usual suggestion. Anything with a wheel at the end will have too low a resonant frequency, because the wheels weigh too much.

Comment

• Double-sided PCB:

i ask him about costs... this is his reply:

The price for 10 pcs is $170 USD. Standard international shipping is included in that price. It takes from 15-25 working days to arrive! It can be sent with priority/airmail which takes 7-12 working days to arrive and it is paid extra $15 USD for a package of this weight. My processing time is up to 5 days after the payment is received to my paypal account. If you have any other question about the service please feel free to ask.
              Hope to be hearing from you soon!
              please note that double side pcb doesn't need the jumper wire that you see in my (and Brad) board
              .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
              .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

• 174$ 10pcs double side pcb with silkscreen and soldermask.... and fast (dhl/tnt) shipping included

here EzPCB - Professional PCB Supplier,Printe circuit board

Comment

• Elepro,
                  You can accommodate the format needed to order from one of these big printed circuit board places?
                  As I understand the process we are charged for the full sheet regardless of how many boards fit on the sheet. We might as well maximize the real estate if you haven't done that already. I think we could eventually sell off 10 pcbs but I'm not sure anyone wants to put all the money up front. If we can get 5 other takers at $20 ea (including postage), I don't mind covering the remainder.

I found the source of acme threaded rod at McMaster Carr. A 12" length of 3/8" x 10TPI costs $8 for the cheapest grade:
                  McMaster-Carr
                  For higher precision, minimum length is 36" for $26:
                  McMaster-Carr
                  Unfortunately McMaster's nut prices are out of sight,$20-$35 each:
                  McMaster-Carr

Comment

Elepro,
                    You can accommodate the format needed to order from one of these big printed circuit board places?
                    As I understand the process we are charged for the full sheet regardless of how many boards fit on the sheet. We might as well maximize the real estate if you haven't done that already. I think we could eventually sell off 10 pcbs but I'm not sure anyone wants to put all the money up front. If we can get 5 other takers at $20 ea (including postage), I don't mind covering the remainder.
                    i didn't understand well... but:

not prolems with gerber files they need....
                    about 24$ each for 5 pcb (doubel side, solder mask and silkscreen)
                    Last edited by -Elepro-; 10-10-2009, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• Thanks Elepro. Gerber, like the baby food in jars -yeah!
                      $25 sounds reasonable to me too. If I'm the only one I'll just make my own when the time comes.

These are the nuts to use, just pick one or two up when you are ready.
                      With two you can build a 0 backlash nut:
                      Delrin Flange Nuts 3/8-10 ACME RH Single Start Threads - eBay (item 230386426212 end time Oct-16-09 10:17:57 PDT)
                      I got one 18" length of the acme threaded rod I can split with someone else...
                      I'll turn down the ends to 5/16 journals for the bushings and 1/4" x 1" for the coupling to the stepper at one end.

Comment

I'll turn down the ends to 5/16 journals for the bushings and 1/4" x 1" for the coupling to the stepper at one end.
                        if you make thread at one end you can make a nut on the other side of bearing and so the screw doesn't need perfect length...

Originally posted by David King View Post
                        If I'm the only one
                        i think when we'll open the new thread "cnc winder group-buy" someone else there will be....
                        Last edited by -Elepro-; 10-10-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• A collar with setscrew placed on the outside of the bushing/bearing at one or both ends would keep the leadscrew from sliding side to side. Thinking about it more, I'll make the journals all 1/4" dia as less surface = less drag. The wider step up at the ends will give more surface where we want it. Alignment with the delrin bushings will still be important. Best to line everything up with the leadscrew spinning and clamp or superglue the end walls into place on the base before drilling the holes to bolt everything together.
                          Last edited by David King; 10-10-2009, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Just out of curiousity, I tested the maximum RPM of my own CNC winder last night - I can get about 1,000 RPM. My main motor is a a NEMA23 180oz stepper. (the traverse motor is an 80oz stepper from a dot matrix printer - more than sufficient in my situation). For anyone living in the UK, I can recommend Astrosyn's excess outlet on Ebay - some of their completed auctions here http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/ast...c0.m283&_rdc=1 .Astrosyn are a stepper manafacturer with a UK base in in Chatham - their steppers work out dirt cheap if you live near by as they let you collect, avoiding chunk P&P charges (also if they've not got what you want listed get in touch with them & ask them for a stepper of your preferred spec - they normally have something ...I've no affiliation with them, just a happy customer)

For traversal, I use a 6cm length of M10 nylon threaded rod, bored out to 6.35mm (1/4" in old money) and physically pushed over the tra versal stepper motor shaft - I feed the wire onto the bobbin over the threaded rod's helix - & this about the simplest/cheapest method you can ever implement for traversal!
                            Last edited by peskywinnets; 10-10-2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Elepro,

What drill sizes are needed for the PCB? I need to order some miniature carbide from cheap ebay seller anyway and can add some drills for $1.25 each.
                              I went ahead and bought some iron-on transfer paper for inkjet printers the other day, (it's only $1 a sheet). I just found lots of double-sided pcb left over from a long time ago in my attic.
                              Thanks

Comment

• you can use 0.8mm for the smallest.... but perhaps some component need 1mm and 1,5mm (mosfet - terminal block)
                                Last edited by David Schwab; 12-27-2009, 03:04 PM. Reason: edited per elepro's request

Comment

Working...
                                X