cnc winder controller board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad,
    this unit came in 3 different versions, the ones we are looking at require a 120VAC supply input from what I can tell so they should just plug into the wall.

Here's the Ebay link for anyone who wants get one or two of these:
    Stepper Motor Driver Single Axis, Bipolar - eBay (item 250494639533 end time Sep-16-09 17:50:17 PDT)

Comment

• I'm going to start shopping for M6x1 (mm) threaded rods with acme threads if possible for the traverse leadscrew. I can make whatever couplers we need between motor shaft and rods for cheap. (I have a turret lathe.)
      I'll also start shopping for 2:1 pulleys and belts on the surplus robotics places. If we can avoid going to McMaster Carr for this stuff, it will save us all some bucks. Again I can make up any collars, spacers etc we might need.

I'd be curious how many folks following this are interested in getting a group buy on mechanical parts?

I could go so far as to get bids on CNC machined, aluminum chassis parts, bearings, shafts, flanges etc for a complete mechanical kit if there are folks who don't have the machine shop in the basement and would rather not have to cut MDF with a kitchen knife. I'm envisioning a very simple tailstock lathe with proper mount for the spindle motor.

I'm also interested in knowing how many would prefer a pic-controlled traverse system to adapt to their existing winders -VS- a complete Spindle + traverse winder that we have been discussing here?

If there's interest in the traverse only I'll start poking around for some rotary encoders.

Comment

• Originally posted by David King View Post
        I've forgotten how we will be setting bobbin width limits. I use at least two thicknesses of bobbin flatwork and many bobbin widths so i'll be making frequent adjustments at both ends. I hope it won't be difficult to get in and change those parameters.

Are sliding limit switches too clumsy?
        controller already has 2 imit switch and firmware measures traverse movement.... watch videos....

Originally posted by David King View Post
        A linear actuator with 1mm pitch leadscrew may be tough to find for everyone over here.
        theaded rod 6mmx1mm pitch is perfect.... watch photo

If the drivers can supply the controller, why the transformer?
        Brad,
        this unit came in 3 different versions, the ones we are looking at require a 120VAC supply input from what I can tell so they should just plug into the wall.
        ah ok.... i didn't understand... transformer doesn't need
        Attached Files
        .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
        .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

• about wiring of controller and drivers:

"step pulse in" driver 1 to "step main" of controller board
          cw/ccw" driver1 to "dir main" of controller board
          "step pulse in" driver 2 to "step traverse" of controller board
          cw/ccw" driver2 to "dir traverse" of controller board

connect all gnd
          only one driver supply controller board (5volt out pin to 5volt of controller board)
          step pulse out/slow/fast/half-full/enable pins in drivers must be not connected

Comment

Brad,
            i read again.... are you sure? i think it needs transformer between 120VAC and driver..... datasheet say 28VAC MAX.....

Comment

• not wonderful but korks
              i made extensions for my push button
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post
                i read again.... are you sure? i think it needs transformer between 120VAC and driver..... datasheet say 28VAC MAX.....
                Yes,
                I think you are right. After looking at the photo again I can't see any transformer.

Here's a surplus one for $24
                http://www.surplussales.com/Transformers/PowerTra.html
                Last edited by David King; 09-11-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Yes,
                  I think you are right. After looking at the photo again I can't see any transformer.

Here's a surplus one for $24
                  Power Transformers Specials
                  It needs a transformer, see page-3 of the PDF you linked to, it states "Supply Voltage (Input): 40VDC or 28/120/220 VAC with step-down transformer"

The words "Power Supply" can be misleading, to one person it means a all-in-one thing like a wall wart, to another it means "Voltage Regulator and Filtering" in this case the module has a regulated power supply which handles up to 40 volts DC, therefore to use it on mains power (120VAC/240VAC) it needs a step-down transformer.

I already have a nice 20Vx20V - 400VA Torroid sitting on my bench awaiting something just like this.
                  -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Here's a 28V, 4A transformer from Newark for $20
                    TRIAD MAGNETICS|VPP28-2000|Power Transformer | Newark.com
                    They have a 28V, 12A for just under $40.

Comment

Here's a 28V, 4A transformer from Newark for $20
                      TRIAD MAGNETICS|VPP28-2000|Power Transformer | Newark.com
                      They have a 28V, 12A for just under $40.
                      the first one is 2A (56VA / 28V = 2A.... you have 4A if you put secondary in parallel mode.... but you have 14 volt)

12A is too much.... you could supply a complete cnc milling machine

....but you can search transformer with 24VAC too.... it's easily available and you should have 32VDC

bye

Comment

• Brad, did you turn on the controller?

Comment

• Here's a better match:
                          TRIAD MAGNETICS|F-187U|Power Transformer | Newark.com
                          28V 4A, 112VA

Comment

• Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post
                            Brad, did you turn on the controller?

Not yet Elepro, it's on the back burner for the moment because I have a few paying jobs I need to get off my plate.

I just finished-up that Floyd-Rose guitar fret-crown and pot/switch/wiring replacement, and then also just finished up a fuel injector pulse timer module for a friend who rebuilds fuel injectors, and also this weekend I finally finished up the last 12 channels of that 72 channel Speck M74 re-cap job that has been going on since last year. I lost track of how many "Muse" capacitors I'd replaced along the way but IIRC nearly went through 3 bags (of 250).

The gauss-meter group-buy thing set me back a little time wise, I spent quite a bit of time on-line with this forum and personal emails and the logistics of the parts, and PCB's, and distribution of the kits. But it's done now and off my plate.

I need to keep focused on the paying jobs but I should be able to do this CNC Winder thing in my "spare" (?) time.
                            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Brad,
                              feel free to send it on down to me if you get stymied. I don't have anywhere near the electronics experience but I can probably figure out how to get the smoke out of it. I've got some ee friends who've done nothing but work on embedded processors for the last 25 years.

Comment

Brad,
                                feel free to send it on down to me if you get stymied. I don't have anywhere near the electronics experience but I can probably figure out how to get the smoke out of it. I've got some ee friends who've done nothing but work on embedded processors for the last 25 years.
                                Thanks David but that won't be necessary, I havent been stymied in years.
                                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                                X