Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David King View Post
    This is looking really good.
    A parts list and a description of the other elements needed to assemble a working winder would be really helpful. As a machinist I know what the basics are but I have no clue what I'd need to own to make a functioning CNC winder. Do I need a PC? What would be an adequate power supply to run the steppers? Will any stepper work? (bipolar monopolar). Stepper size for speed and torque?

Will it be worthwhile to etch a PC board or is a breadboard implementation good enough until the next gen?
    project is not complete yet.... when finished i will explain all well in a new thread with schem pcb layout wiring etc. etc.... like for the gaussmeter project

anyhow, all electronics of this winder will be in 4 parts:

- my controller
    - 2 X 2-4ampere bipolar stepper driver (or a 2axis driver) with clock & dir input and half step control.... try to watch on ebay....
    - a power supply for 5v logic and 12v or more (30v for high speed performance) for motors

(winder not needs PC.... i make all for this)

about motors, small surplus nema23 (size) 0.5 Nm torque could be sufficient for 1/1 gear ratio operation (but hardly you wil have fast speed)
    ...2Nm will be perfect for fast speed operation with 4/1 pulleys....
    note that high tourque motor for traverse is needed because it invert direction without any ac-deceleration
    .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
    .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

Coil Winder Stepper Motor Project

An interesting article for a coil winder project in Nut and Volts June 2005 p. 40 (attached).
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mootej View Post
        An interesting article for a coil winder project in Nut and Volts June 2005 p. 40 (attached).
        with my english is not easy to read entire article quickly but i think that observing driver schematic is enough

Comment

Would this driver be enough?
          2 AXIS CNC Stepper Stepping Motor Driver Board - eBay (item 300312066747 end time May-31-09 22:30:23 PDT)
          I see that 2A is maybe enough for Nema 17 motors
          4A is needed for nema 23 motors?
          I suppose amperage and torque go together so the nema number doesn't mean too much

Comment

Looks interesting. Did you scan that? Can you rescan it as grayscale and not bitmap? It's hard to see the photos.

Thanks.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Would this driver be enough?
              2 AXIS CNC Stepper Stepping Motor Driver Board - eBay (item 300312066747 end time May-31-09 22:30:23 PDT)
              I see that 2A is maybe enough for Nema 17 motors
              4A is needed for nema 23 motors?
              I suppose amperage and torque go together so the nema number doesn't mean too much
              nema is dimension... but you can find nema17 with more torque of a nema23...

about the driver on ebay, i have not experience with TA8435 but the datasheet says that reccomended operating current is 1,5A max (not 2A of auction specifications)... anyway, with a large heatsik (and fun?) and 2 high efficiency 2A motor you should have good results..... and it has a good price....

if you have experience with electonics assembly you could search project of a L297 + 2X L6203 driver that can supply 4amp @ 40 volt....

Comment

Elepro, Thanks, that looks better and 4 amps @ 40V ought to be more useful for some other small CNC projects I'd like to do (like a small engraver).
                I found the following two links:
                Schematic: http://i20.tinypic.com/2emdkx0.png
                PCB: http://i23.tinypic.com/28lg9c8.png
                I'm hoping that those chips aren't too expensive, or maybe someone has made a kit already. I can etch the PCB if necessary, some experience there.

The full wave chips L6203 on ebay for $5 ea and up
                The stepper chip L297 is $12.5 at digikey
                Last edited by David King; 06-01-2009, 05:35 AM. Reason: added prices for chips

Comment

The full wave chips L6203 on ebay for $5 ea and up
                  The stepper chip L297 is $12.5 at digikey

in europe it is possible to find l297 at 3€!!!!!
                  watch this and this (same store)
                  ....enter in ebay from .co.uk and try to find better price..

Comment

Try Texas Instruments' *SN754410 instead of the L297.
                    It is L297 pin compatible and has built-in snubber diodes.

-drh
                    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                      Try Texas Instruments' *SN754410 instead of the L297.
                      It is L297 pin compatible and has built-in snubber diodes.

-drh

l297 is a controller..... SN754410 is a quad driver.........

Comment

Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post

l297 is a controller..... SN754410 is a quad driver.........
                        My error.

I meant the L293.

-drh
                        "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

and this is default settings branch

next time something more interesting

YouTube - cnc pickup winder - configuration menu

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            Looks interesting. Did you scan that? Can you rescan it as grayscale and not bitmap? It's hard to see the photos.

Thanks.
                            Yes I will email the original color pdf that I scanned at the U of Mich Eng Lib. It was too big (10MB), so the post is a scan of a copy Anybody else need the color version, email me at mootej@aol.com.

John

Comment

Please note that driver in that article other than it has not minimum features of all common stepper drivers (and it has serious design errors.... that mosfet never can has complete saturation with 5v at gate.... and many lpt have tension of about 4v or less ) it has not any protection for computer motherboard!!!!!
                              that software can use only that driver....
                              therefore with that solution you can have 100(???) rpm max, many heat and maybe a burned out PC.....

Comment

Yes I will email the original color pdf that I scanned at the U of Mich Eng Lib. It was too big (10MB), so the post is a scan of a copy Anybody else need the color version, email me at mootej@aol.com.

John
                                Thanks for that John.

I reduced the size of the PDF to about 1.5MB and emailed it back to you.

It's interesting, but it looks like it's made for heavy gage wire. You could never have a spool of 42AWG on its side like that and expect it to de-reel without breaking. But there could be some tidbits to glean from it.
                                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                                X