Gaussmeter Kit Group-Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad,

what's the "extra part"?..... you name "Extra part" but i sent that as "spare part" (and i still have email i sent you where i said this) certainly not for your profit....

in group buy was 19 persons but you paid for 23 PICs....
    i sent 1 pic for test and after test i sent 22 + 1 spare part ..... 24 in total

who did buy more than one PIC?
    why you sold the spare part?

bye
    .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
    .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

• I just talked to the engineer who assembled the kit, and he is out of town until monday, so I'll post some pics as soon as I get them. He says the trim pot has been adjusted, and the PIC has been installed correctly. If this is the case, Elepro -- can I get another PIC? I'm willing to pay for the shipping and for the chip, but not for the program, since it seems like I already paid for this. I think this is fair, please let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post
        Brad,

what's the "extra part"?..... you name "Extra part" but i sent that as "spare part" (and i still have email i sent you where i said this) certainly not for your profit....

in group buy was 19 persons but you paid for 23 PICs....
        i sent 1 pic for test and after test i sent 22 + 1 spare part ..... 24 in total

who did buy more than one PIC?
        why you sold the spare part?

bye

WTF?

Three people bought more than one PIC, there was one kit left over which was sold to realtonecustompickup, are you intimating that I cheated you, or the group?

You sold us gauss meter PIC's in good faith, of which some are apparently not working correctly (my 2 are working right...so far ).

Elepro, it's up to you to step-up and make things right with anyone who has problems with their PIC's. You designed them and programmed them, you are soley responsible for their fitness. I tried to get you to agree to letting me download the hex code onto chips here in the US but you said NO and insisted you want total control over the code and would only sell pre-programmed PIC's. Well you have it, and now you need to do something about it because people are having problems with your code/PIC's

I organised the group-buy of your product...in good faith, I am not the designer, or manufacturer, it is totally your responsibilty Elepro.

Jeff and Joe's PIC's aren't working so you need to to step-up and do the right thing and help these guys out.

This has turned such a shame. It started out as such a good thing, proceeded through all kinds of logistical issues etc and I spent much time and effort personaly seeing this through. Now we're here at the end of the road and some peoples PIC's are bad ...and you are pointing the finger at me. Dude, that's bad form, really bad form.

I cannot warrant or guarantee the PIC's. I tried to get Elepro into an agreement with the hex code so I could burn them myself but he declined. Therefore I cannot be the one to guarantee/warranty the PIC's, you must seek remedy from Elepro
        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Callahan View Post
          .... If this is the case, Elepro -- can I get another PIC? I'm willing to pay for the shipping and for the chip, but not for the program, since it seems like I already paid for this. I think this is fair, please let me know.
          yes sure.... you and Joe will have your PIC for free.... i thought at an eventual problem from start... for this i sent to brad a 1+ spare part.... i already said it in my first post after your comunication....

Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post
          however.... Redhouse have a 1+ pic that i sent him as spare part....

(i didn't know about Joe's PIC when wrote this).....then don't worry.... only you have to wait more because it has to come from italy and not from redhouse.... we don't know why....

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
          WTF?

Brad,

you say many things in provocatively manner.. but not respond at a simple question...

why you sold the PIC that i sent you as spare part?

ok not important... i don't want continue any futile discussion...

we all can read a change in your behaviour towards me... in this thread and in the cnc controller thread....

only you are angry because i refused your business agreement..... I'm sorry....

bye
          Last edited by -Elepro-; 10-17-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

...Brad,

you say many things in provocatively manner.. but not respond at a simple question...

why you sold the PIC that i sent you as spare part?

we all can read a change in your behaviour towards me... in this thread and in the cnc controller thread....

bye
            One more guy wanted the kit, you sent an extra PIC it's very simple.

Why make a big deal about it anyway the PIC's are $2.45 you were paid 452 euro's. ($660.63)

It's good that you will make things right for folks who have paid you money and find themselves with a bad PIC, it's called doing the right thing.

None of this has anything to do with me. You keep looking to me to "handle" things for you when my part in the group-buy is finished.

When Jeff or Joe report a problem to you, you need to step-up and deal with it, yourself, don't bring me into it. It's up to you to support your products.

Specially if you intend to sell people here a 3-PIC set for the CNC Winder. People have to be able to trust you with quite a bit more money and this is the place to start building trust...or not.

Elepro, I'm not angry with you, sure I'm disappointed a bit.... I made you an offer which you rejected, now we're done so let it go dude.

[let's keep private matters private, via PM or email... thanks for understanding... your Imoderator II]
            Last edited by David Schwab; 10-18-2009, 03:08 PM.
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• It's too soon for finger-pointing

Gentlemen. Let's figure out what went wrong first. Then we can fight.

Nor can I think of a way one can mis-program the PIC to cause meltdown, so it's most likely a circuit problem.

Elpro asked for a photo of my circuit. I assume that his first instinct is that I misassembled the unit, which would be my suspicion too. I will provide the photo and perform the requested tests.

Comment

bye
                In all my dealings with Red House, he has been upfront, honest and has gone way beyond the norm for a volunteer on a forum.

As far as I know, Elepro is the only one here who made any real money on this deal. I know he wrote the code and burned the chips, which is worth something, but without the help of the forum members input on the program features and without Red House's organization of the group buy, he wouldn't have been able to sell anywhere near as many of these things.

The PICs can be damaged in handling, as well as during assembly, so there is no real way to point blame for the dead ones. The damage could have happened anywhere, at any time. In fact all of us that have working meters could find that one day our PICs could turn up dead as well.

What I'd like to know is what Elepro will offer for a replacement? Will we have to just buy a new one at his full price? Or as Jeff has suggested, will we be able to purchase a replacement without paying a second time for the programming?

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post

Nor can I think of a way one can mis-program the PIC to cause meltdown, so it's most likely a circuit problem.
                  yes...bad program can't burn PIC
                  Joe, you know about electronics.... in schematic there are 7805 with its caps, pic with its cap and push button and sensor.... where can be problem?

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                  ....Elpro asked for a photo of my circuit. I assume that his first instinct is that I misassembled the unit, which would be my suspicion too. I will provide the photo and perform the requested tests.
                  i already said i re send pic for free... photo and test is just for my curiosity

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post

What I'd like to know is what Elepro will offer for a replacement? Will we have to just buy a new one at his full price? Or as Jeff has suggested, will we be able to purchase a replacement without paying a second time for the programming?
                  Bill, i already said i re send pic for free to Jeff and Joe.... because they are near buying

about future.... like all guarantees.... you send me the damaged part at your expense and received by me in original external condition... and I re-send PIC without paying a second time for the programming

bye
                  Last edited by -Elepro-; 10-17-2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

yes sure.... you and Joe will have your PIC for free.... i thought at an eventual problem from start... for this i sent to brad a 1+ spare part.... i already said it in my first post after your comunication....
                    Thanks for standing by your chip Elepro,

I'll PM my address, let me know when you ship.

Jeff
                    Last edited by tboy; 10-18-2009, 04:25 AM. Reason: quote repair

Comment

Gentlemen. Let's figure out what went wrong first. Then we can fight.

Elpro asked for a photo of my circuit. I assume that his first instinct is that I misassembled the unit, which would be my suspicion too. I will provide the photo and perform the requested tests.
                      Yes, I also assume that both meter malfunctions were due to something other than a bad PIC. We had a few instances of miswired sensors and the like.

The number of working meters shows that the circuit is good. But stuff happens when you build things. I think we had a very good ratio of working meters to non working meters.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        ...The number of working meters shows that the circuit is good. But stuff happens when you build things. I think we had a very good ratio of working meters to non working meters.
                        I agree David, Elepro's gaussmeter circuit seems a good hardware design when all things are in-place as they should be. We had very few build issues in this group-buy. I was expecting a certain amount of PIC related problems (handling and incorrect orientation) and so I was quite surprised how the majority of problems were mis-wired sensors.

In retrospect I see it would have been good to re-work the layout of the PCB so the sensor pads lined up with the sensor leads and eliminating that crossed-over wire thing.
                        (see attached pic)

My two meters work great for the most part, the first has been active since mid July IIRC and it still works fine. I use either one of mine almost every day. I'm attaching a pic of my bench meter which uses detachable sensor lead and a much bigger display so I don't have to wear my glasses to read it.

The only small issue I have seen with the gauss meter operation is that every one-in-a-long-while it appears to lock up after many measurements and being on for a long time. So far the work-around has been simply re-booting it (power-off, power-on) then it works fine for a long time again. It doesn't happen very often but perhaps some code fine-tuning might be needed in that area.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by RedHouse; 10-18-2009, 04:26 PM. Reason: added picture of suggested PCB
                        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Nice bench meter Brian!

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                            The only small issue I have seen with the gauss meter operation is that every one-in-a-long-while it appears to lock up after many measurements and being on for a long time. So far the work-around has been simply re-booting it (power-off, power-on) then it works fine for a long time again.
                            This has happened to mine a couple times, but as you say a restart solved the problem.

The wiring of the sensor was a bit confusing, but overall the construction was fast and easy for me. It's sad that some are having problems. It is however enlightening that they are getting the needed support. I'm hoping I can count on mine to work for years to come.

Comment

Elpro asked for a photo of my circuit. I assume that his first instinct is that I mis-assembled the unit, which would be my suspicion too. I will provide the photo and perform the requested tests.
                              Here are the photos. The background grid lines are 1" apart. The sensor assembly is shown with the shrink tubing removed. The gaussmeter now works as before. As detailed in a parallel thread, a short between Vcc and Gnd at the sensor caused the entire cascade of trouble.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Finally, I built mine! Found some spare time today and decided to finish it. It works perfectly! I did the calibration and I've done my first measurements a few minutes ago!

Thanks to Elepro for his great project and Redhouse who managed the group buy!

I did shot some pics but I have to upload them. When I'll find some time I'll upload and post them over here...

Comment

Working...
                                X