Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Terp53 Custom Pickup Winder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Terp53 Custom Pickup Winder?

Terp53 Custom Pickup Winder $190 w/ free expedited shipping

eBay listing:

Guitar Pickup Winder Model PW12V w 12VDC 0 to 1 800 RPM No Load "TERP53" | eBay

Terp53 Guitars website:

Guitar Pickup Winders pickup bobbin winders single coil humbucker | Guitar Pickup Winder make humbucker pickups Terp53 Pickup Winders

My needs are very basic. I hadn't been thinking of winding my own pickups but just adding some winds to some Gibson 490T pickups to turn them into 498T's (after replacing the A2 magnets with A5.) Perhaps doing the same with some other pickups I have around or maybe even rewinding them.

Steve Ahola

P.S. I just watched the video on assembling it... it comes with a board to mount it on (no need to go down to Home Depot for them to cut a piece for you. And I loved the mounting brackets... plain old shelf support brackets!

EDIT: Suggestions for a good cheap source of pickup wire- 42GA and 43GA?
    Last edited by Steve A.; 07-25-2015, 10:42 PM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

It looks on par with the other makers of that style winder and the price looks fair Steve but the problem I have heard with the small DC motors is the lack of torque.

If you were to build your winder own you could probably do it for under $50 in a couple of hours.

My original hand winder cost me nothing since I had a sewing machine motor and some steel shaft material.
    It's had a few counter upgrades over the years and now has an optical counter. I pulled the optical sensor from a Canon printer and bought a 5 digit counter off Ebay for a few bucks.
    Machined a face plate a few years back which made everything much easier.

Comment

Damn! My reply with links and pictures just disappeared in the ozone... I'm using an Android tablet so it is safer for me to compose posts using Evernote and then pasting them here or at other forums...

I'll be back after I get done pouting! ;-)

Steve A.
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

It only has one arm, and only winds one direction.
        To reverse wind you have to turn the bobbin over.
        Not always that handy for fender type pickups.
        Either 2 arms, or a reversible winder is the desireable way.
        I would either build a winder, or spend more and buy a better winder to start with.
        As far as making a 498t out of a 490t, they are different wire gauges.
        You would need to rewind the 42awg bobbins with 43awg wire.
        For poly pickup wire you can't beat the remington prices.
        I recommend them often.
        http://www.remingtonindustries.com/
        You can buy small spools, but large spools are a much better value.
        I constantly recommend a large spool of 42SP, and a large spool of 43SP, and you're set to make lots of pickups.
        Later you can specialize in PE, HFV, etc.
        GL,
        T
        ** It does wind in both directions, so it may be fine!
        Last edited by big_teee; 07-27-2015, 01:30 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

sorry to contradict you terry, but the winder has a CW/CCW switch which I imagine allows the machine to run in the reverse direction.

whilst this type of winder in not my cup of tea, I would make a good entry level unit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A.
            My needs are very basic. I hadn't been thinking of winding my own pickups but just adding some winds to some Gibson 490T pickups to turn them into 498T's (after replacing the A2 magnets with A5.) Perhaps doing the same with some other pickups I have around or maybe even rewinding them.
            Yeah Right You say that now, but in a couple of weeks you'll be mainlining the shit.

That looks like a cool little winder. The price doesn't seem bad compared to others that I've seen. I like the size of it. It seems to be quite compact.

Wire's easy enough to find. Just stay away from the little 1/2 lb. spools. You'll always overpay for those.

I've seen the way you like to experiment. You'll be a natural for this Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post
              sorry to contradict you terry, but the winder has a CW/CCW switch which I imagine allows the machine to run in the reverse direction.

whilst this type of winder in not my cup of tea, I would make a good entry level unit
              Thank you, my bad, I missed the CW, CCW switch.
              It may be ok, if it has enough power to turn the winder
              I too like small winders with a small footprint.
              T
              Last edited by big_teee; 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X