wax pot with what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wax pot with what?

What are the choices with you all for melting wax and dipping p/u's? I've used an electric fry pan (2" deep x 12" square w/ a heat adjustment dial on the removable cord) At low heat this seems to work well.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Grandma's old sauce pan, actually a 1.5 quart steel pot, as a double boiler with a steel coffee can inside it. Half beeswax, half white paraffin wax in the can. Trick one of my customers taught me: pre heat the pickup gently, say under a heat lamp or on a fireproof plate over a stove pilot flame. Liquid wax will find its way into the warm pickup's interior more easily when it's immersed, then you can minimize time spent in the hot wax. I give 'em about 2 minutes max. Others may go longer, your choice.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I use a small crock pot, plugged into a variac, to control temp.
      A bi-metal meat thermometer is used to check temp.
      I use Gulf Canning wax, thinned with liquid paraffin lamp oil.
      Gradually thin the wax, until it is no longer flaky when the wax is cool.
      Works great!
      I don't know any pickup winders that use bees wax anymore because it being unnecessary, & the expense.
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        I don't know any pickup winders that use bees wax anymore because it being unnecessary, & the expense.
        I like beeswax because it's a little "sticky". Granted, I'm not a winder, I just install & swap pickups for crustomers, sometimes dip when necessary. I found it's often metal pickup covers that set up a hi frequency squeek. I do a second dip, cover on, for those who must have them. Having that layer of sticky wax between the cover and pickup, damps the vibration, then the rockers can play at volume without annoying squeeks & chirps. I s'pose I could use bubble gum .
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I always pot humbuckers with the covers on.
          Then pour all the hot wax out of the baseplate corner holes.
          That leaves a nice vibration cushion.
          Properly thinned, it will be pliable, don't know about the sticky part?
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Here's a link to the potting survey we did.
            We pretty much covered most potting questions there.
            According to the survey, some still use bees wax.
            I personally don't know anyone that uses it, that winds?
            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t36769/
            Here another thread with a lot of potting info.
            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t31683/
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 04-19-2016, 04:15 PM.
            Terry

Comment

Glue pot, 25% beeswax,75% white wax.

Comment

I use an hair removal hot wax warmer, it has a removable liner bucket, variable temperature settings and see-through cover. Works great for me at less than 20€.

Comment

1qt. slow cooker I got new for $10. straight paraffin - no beeswax. beeswax has a higher melting temp and I wanted the lowest temp possible. YMMV

cheers,
                  Jack Briggs

sigpic
                  www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

I use a Potpourri Crock Pot. They don't get nearly as hot as a normal slow cooker. Check your thrift stores.
                    This is like the one I have: Vintage Floral Flower Rival Large Potpourri Crock Pot Model 3207 | eBay

Comment

I use an old percolator coffee maker and fill with water, it heats very fast. The wax stays in a pint mason jar with lid on to keep water out. Takes about an hour to melt the wax and i control temperature with the lid...

Comment

I use a small crock pot with a variac to control the temperature. 75% paraffin wax/25% bees wax. 1/4 hp single stage vacuum pump.
                        Take Care,

Jim. . .
                        VA3DEF

Comment

Beeswax does have a higher melting point but i think it's softer, doesn't flake like parrifin. I get it local now, not too expensive.

Comment

I've found small table top deep fryers to be the best at keeping a consistent temp compared to electric frying pans, crock pots etc. Maybe because they have a larger heating element?
                            I like the little wire baskets they come with as well to get PUs out of the bath vs grabbing the leads.

I do use a tiny frying pan w/ low temp to heat up potted PUs to get the covers off etc.

Glue pots are very expensive compared to a little fryer you can get at a Good Will for like $20.
                            Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Crock Pot ... this has a Low and High setting. I use the High to get it to temp and the Low setting keeps it just perfect.

I use a paraffin/beeswax mix

Also, grab a cheap Milk Thermometer ... they have the same temp range marked that you want your wax at

Comment

Working...
                              X