Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Tension Caibration...

Hi all.

Just wondering if any one has made a jig to test wire tension, and somehow calibrate your feed tension.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Wired View Post
    Hi all.

Just wondering if any one has made a jig to test wire tension, and somehow calibrate your feed tension.

Cheers.
    I tension with a pair of heavy felt pieces sandwiched between two pieces of metal with a thumbscrew to loosen or tighten that the wire passes through before landing on the bobbin. I use a dynamometer tension gauge to measure the tension between winds. Never went the the effort to fabricate one that measures tension on the fly as tension never seems to change much for me once set.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

Thanks for your answer, but I'm talking about a jig that let's you set a particular tension before starting the wind. At the moment I have a dial tension gauge, and I simply tie wire to it, hold it in one hand, then drag my tensioner away in the other. it does give me a reading and I can tweak the tensioner so it is roughly the same each time I want to wind at that particular tension. Of course after 4 or 5 pulls, the felt starts to sort of polish the wire and the tension reading starts to reduce a little. I was thinking about building some sort of jig that dragged the tensioner away from a dial gauge at a constant rate. Just wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this...

Comment

I use one of these. Click image for larger version

Name:	965359625-1139175381.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	976052

Comment

Yeah I've seen these a while back. Was going to try one of i ever get around to making an auto traverse.

How do you set the tension?

Comment

There's a knob on the other side and on top. See Ali Click image for larger version

Name:	magback.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	976101 express or ebay.

Comment

Working...
            X