Buffered Wah Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffered Wah Pedals

Why must companies insist on doing this!? All for the sake of skimping on a DPDT switch for true bypass...doesn't a DPDT version of the same switch cost roughly the same as the SPDT switch they use?

It is my personal belief that the way the wah circuit input loads your pickups when the wah effect is engaged is just as much a part of the classic wah sound as everything else in the circuit...when you buffer it you take away from that.

I've always hated Dunlop Crybaby wahs for this exact reason and have always used the Vox reissue wah as they've always stayed true to the original circuit. Well I just bought a brand new Vox wah to replace the one I had that got ripped off a few years ago with the rest of my gear and now apparently Vox is now buffering the input as well!

WTF...just put in a damn DPDT switch and call it a day!
    Jon Wilder
    Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
    I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
    Originally posted by JoeM
    I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Such it is with many things. Sell the new one and buy a used older one on Ebay. If anyone even looks at it poke 'em in the eye with your finger.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Ha - it just goes to show. I've been getting frustrated with my crybaby losing effectiveness when I patch a fuzzface after it, so realising that the low input impedance of the fuzz was shunting the collector resistor of the crybaby T1, this weekend I buffered it with a common collector, with it's base linked to the T1 collector, 10k emitter resistor to ground, with the emitter feeding the output and pot. It seems to work well, though I had to bypass the T1 collector 22k with 220pF, in order to damp down some MHz oscillation that subsequently popped up at the bass end of the pedal travel.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

That's the problem with unbuffered wah-wah pedals, you can't use them with some other pedals. Fuzzface after wah is the prime example.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I'm talking about wah pedals that have a buffered INPUT...not output.
          Jon Wilder
          Wilder Amplification

I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well

Comment

OK, you think the wah's loading of your pickups is part of the sound. SOmeone else may think loading his pickups is the whole reason NOT to buy some models. Apparently both versions exist, so both you and those other guys can get the kind you prefer.

SOme guys think chili needs beans, and other guys think beans do not belong in chili. SOme guys like to look at skinny girls, and some guys like to look at plump girls.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              SOme guys like to look at skinny girls, and some guys like to look at plump girls.
              The fact that you even thought of this as a reference tells me your not in the "super model" camp. Those girls are built like nine year old boys. Someone should tell 'em to eat a sandwich (and keep it down).

I'm with you BTW. Give me a woman with curves. I had my share of skinny little girls in high school.

Trying to keep on the subject. Has anyone looked into mods for reversing this? Sounds like it would be easy enough, as pdf64 found. But there must be CryBaby mods around for both new and old models.

Chuck

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I've modded several Crybabys via bypassing the buffer. The problem with the Vox is that most of the Vox circuitry is all SMD. That and I think some of the circuitry isn't the same as the original either.
                Jon Wilder
                Wilder Amplification

Comment

I have an older "Hendrix" Cry Baby. I think it's supposed to be more like the Vox. Long ago I
                  changed some caps and resistors to give it more umpf in the low pedal travel and an overall better mid character. I can't even remember what I did so I'm glad I still have it 'cause it sounds great. I haven't had any trouble with it effecting my tone when switched off so I guess mine isn't one of the buffered offenders. No SMD in mine either. AFAIK there are schems available for the original Vox pedal. There's so few part's in these things I've thought about building my own in an old broken Dunlop I have laying around.

Just thinking out loud.

Chuck

Comment

Here is one from 1967
                    Attached Files
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      Here is one from 1967
                      Here is another one I found time ago and decided to share : http://music-electronics-forum.com/t13720/
                      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Wow...that 100K resistor across the choke should make for a pretty agressive wah.
                        Jon Wilder
                        Wilder Amplification

Comment

Working...
                        X