Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used ARS 500v electrolytic caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found out they make that cap in a chassis mountable aluminum case. Hapiest day ever.

Comment

Really? Do you have an online supplier for those? May be my happiest day ever as well, because that is precisely what I was looking for recently!
      Valvulados

Comment

percyaudio sells the 100uf ones.
        partsconnexion has the 50 and 100uf.

Comment

Originally posted by diagrammatiks View Post
          percyaudio sells the 100uf ones. partsconnexion has the 50 and 100uf.
          Thank you so very much for the pointers.

I just checked both catalogs and found them. The 47uF ones are 52mm diameter, the 100uF is 64mm x 114mm, that's one heck of a large capacitor, I don't even have clamps for it in my poor man's stock...
          Valvulados

Comment

Haha I know right. They are huge.

Although I used the ASC motor run caps in a build and with a little planning they were alright.

I grabbed a bunch of clamps in anticipation though. Steve from ApexJr sells 2 inch + clamps for like a dollar each.

At any rate...sure beats trying to fit more then one of the 47uf inside the chassis.

Comment

Haha I know right. They are huge.

Although I used the ASC motor run caps in a build and with a little planning they were alright.

I grabbed a bunch of clamps in anticipation though. Steve from ApexJr sells 2 inch + clamps for like a dollar each.

At any rate...sure beats trying to fit more then one of the 47uf inside the chassis.
              Yes it does. Basically, it's 10mm wider than another KT88 on top of the chassis, but easier than the 2 x 47uF's inside as you say. Your pointers were extremely valuable, I guess I feel as elated as you when you discovered these . Thanks very much again.
              Valvulados

Comment

Ya, I mean I just started getting into building recently but everything I've read makes me not want to use electrolytics caps ever for anything. So I've been doing a lot of research on alternatives.

Comment

Ya, I mean I just started getting into building recently but everything I've read makes me not want to use electrolytics caps ever for anything. So I've been doing a lot of research on alternatives.
                  Size and price are probably the advantages of electrolytics. Here's one I found recently :

Valvulados

Comment

haha ya, the computer grade ones.

those use high capacitance to overcome the esl/esr deficiencies.

but look at that voltage...450vdc? boo.

just waiting for the dc links to start shipping and go down in price.

Comment

Yeah, the voltage is frustrating. Unusable in most tube projects. I still don't understand why Sprague continues to make 350 VDC caps.

The automatic translation on their site are a bit frustrating...

Chuang Ge Electronic Industrial Co., Ltd.

"Import metallized film winding without a sense of style" WTF?

"Is mainly used for inverter, inverter, inverter, as well as induction heating equipment," - I guess if you invert 3 times you end up inverted?
                      Valvulados

Comment

modern elytics will last a very long time (well over 20 years)... IF you: keep them cool, put voltage across them periodically, and slightly derate the max working voltage.

Comment

I have used the ARS caps in some amps, and they've been fine. I've seen a few in some Marshall amps as mentioned above, also.

Comment

picked up 5 of these off the ebay

pretty much 1/2 a beer can (or 1/5 a JH)

Comment

how'd you mount those?

Comment

how'd you mount those?

Those are two Solen 47uF x 630 V caps. It's not the most beautiful setup, but I solder the terminal strip to the chassis and the caps to the bridges. At 52 mm diameter they're not quite a beer can, but pretty darn huge for 47uF.
                                Valvulados

Comment

Working...
                                X