Failed 1/4" jacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed 1/4" jacks?

How often do you encounter 1/4" jacks on which the plating of the barrel has failed completely?

I just worked on a guitar with a reported flaky output jack. I was expecting to find the usual broken signal wire, but what I found was that the barrel was completely oxidized. Once I'd cleaned off the oxide, all that was left was bare brass--no plating. This was a late-70s, made-in-Japan jack installed in an Electra Omega guitar.

I replaced the jack with a new Switchcraft calculating that the brass might oxidize and make the problem return.

The interesting part was that this guitar was reportedly stored in a closed case for about 15 years, and the guitar itself looks brand-new.

Run into that fairly often here in the USA Pacific Northwest. We have a mildly marine climate, and a lot of things oxidize that probably wouldn't in a drier inland area.

Comment

If you look at a lot of mil-spec phone plugs and telephone company plugs, they are brass with no plating to begin with.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        If you look at a lot of mil-spec phone plugs and telephone company plugs, they are brass with no plating to begin with.
        Yes they are, and they used to have a special cleaning kit which essentially was no more than jewelers rouge with thick pipe cleaners and polishing cloths.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
          Yes they are, and they used to have a special cleaning kit which essentially was no more than jewelers rouge with thick pipe cleaners and polishing cloths.
          Hah.
          Music equipment gun cleaning kit.

Comment

Yup. I've seen it on a lot of old jacks. And other brass plated hardware like pickup covers and bridges. Mostly on Japanese guitars from the 70's. The plating on the brass is of such poor quality and prone to oxidation that I've wondered why they put it on there. Bare brass would have been better. If not ideal.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I like stereo jacks with the "sleeve" contact as ground; it makes better contact than the barrel usually

except for these cables

some peoples sweat has low pH and corrodes VERY quickly
              Last edited by tedmich; 03-15-2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                I like stereo jacks with the "sleeve" contact as ground; it makes better contact than the barrel ...
                I often do the same thing, usually with guitars. The other fringe benefit is that the additional contact hold the plug better in the jack.
                John R. Frondelli

Comment

I also always use stereo jacks with mono stuff.
                  *Only* problem it that (relatively often) guys plug halfway and stop (they feel the click) and then complain of "no sound".
                  Oh well.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    *Only* problem it that (relatively often) guys plug halfway and stop (they feel the click) and then complain of "no sound".
                    Oh well.
                    IMHE the average guitarist isn't the sharpest pencil in the drawer.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I do the same! It means I can buy a big heap of the same Switchcraft stereo jack, and use them for TRS balanced line, guitar pedals, guitars and amps.
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                        Oh well.
                        Tell them to think of it more like sex, and they won't be pushing it halfway in, even if they feel resistance.
                        John R. Frondelli

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
                          Tell them to think of it more like sex, and they won't be pushing it halfway in, even if they feel resistance.
                          jack/plug discussion sexual innuendo limit EXCEEDED
                          Last edited by tedmich; 03-16-2012, 04:29 AM.

Comment

In, out, repeat if necessary. I see the connection.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                            X