Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1487 Silvertone with built-in amp questions

Hi all,

I was gifted a rare Silvertone guitar with a built-in amp and am working to bring it up to speed. I've addressed everything besides the electronics of it, so that's where I'm stuck. I understand there was an input for 2 9 volt batteries but it was missing, so picked up a couple of leads at Radio Shack but don't know how to wire it from there. I'm just learning up on circuits and such but thought I'd start with the basics to try to determine if there are any issues. One of the caps is pretty blistered up so expect I'll need to troubleshoot that. If anyone is game to help, please let me know and I can PM pictures of it all.

Thanks!
    DanClick image for larger version

Name:	Amp circuit.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	870864
    Last edited by Danimal; 08-14-2016, 07:13 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp - power.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	843326
    Last edited by Danimal; 08-14-2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

dang how did that happen!?

Comment

Schematic and other info can be seen here:
        Silvertone World - Electric Guitars - 1960s - Model 1445 Schematic & Manual
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal View Post
          dang how did that happen!?
          You can go back an edit. Also, please add a photo that shows the complete back side of the pick guard so we can see all the existing parts and wiring.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp circuit.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	843332

Comment

Thanks for the call out. I just did now.

Comment

Hi all, Did you get the correct wiring for the battery leads? I have the same issue with a Silvertone 1487. I know the pickup works as it plays on an amp but the batter leads were missing. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Esossa27 View Post
                  Hi all, Did you get the correct wiring for the battery leads? I have the same issue with a Silvertone 1487. I know the pickup works as it plays on an amp but the batter leads were missing. Thanks!!
                  The link in post 4 still works. It shows a switch, and the battery (not sure what the voltage or configuration is) across the terminals of C6. C6 is the cap that the OP shows as 'blistered'. Maybe someone tried putting a battery there, but reverse polarity. Be sure to go positive-to-positive and neg-neg, to avoid blowing up the cap.

If you're looking for more specific instruction, someone else may chime in. I'm not familiar at all with these guitars.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum
                  If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                  If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                  We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                  MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Here is the schematic.
                    Top right is where the battery gets hooked up.
                    Unfortunately the board layout was a crappy scan.
                    Here is a snip of the battery circuit.

Attached Files

Comment

Be sure to wire the battery clip with correct polarity. The positive battery lead goes to ground.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! Will see if it works!!

Comment

Working...
                        X