Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I said this i might get verbally beaten to death....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before anyone gets too carried away, I'll note that Jason is a member here.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thats good. Maybe he'll chime in and be able to clear this up. I didn't post this to disparage him, I'm just a bit shocked to hear that from someone of his respected stature and would like to understand why he said that and know if he understands treble bleeds and exactly how they work. Maybe theres more to his comment and i'd like to know out of curiosity.

Comment

I found his comment about the compensating cap on the volume pot a bit confusing. I can understand that tastes vary and some might find the treble-retention produced by such caps not to their taste. And to be fair, there are many different suggested compensating arrangements, some involving a cap and resistor in series, and varying values of these, so Jason's comments may be with regard to one particular variant. Personally, I wouldn't have a guitar without them, but that's me. Just how it would monkey with the bass content is quite beyond me, though.

I can't see how a small-value cap, that is effectively bridged by the input lug and wiper of a volume pot turned up to 10, can contribute any tonal change, since it is more or less out of circuit. And indeed, the very idea of a cap compensating the volume pot is to address what gets eaten up as one turns down. And, just like "bright" switches on amps, they don't do anything audible at full volume.

The video is 12 years old, and I think we've all learned a lot since then. I don't agree with some of the things he states, but I won't take away from an otherwise more-than-acceptable-for-its-time demonstration video.

Comment

You caught me not being entirely clear. I do not like the sound of treble bypass caps- no I dont and that is subjective I agree. As far as with the volume pot all the way up. I have sold 100s of thousands of single coil sets and helped thousands install them. In the last 25 years I have had a conversation like this a few hundred times. Customer "these pickups sound thin and tinny" Me "do you have a treble bypass cap or a cap and resistor soldered to the volume pot?" Customer "yes" Me "clip it off and call me back" Customer "its sounds great now"
          I dont know why this would happen but I assure you it does even though I have never personally experienced doing it myself and I bet there are some other people here that have had it happen with customers too- notice I said " it could affect the tone all the way up"- I dont know why or how- and I cant know if they had it wired wrong or if they burnt the pot- who knows. Its a mystery to me but one thing I know is people can screw things up in ways you could never think of yourself The reason I mention single coils is treble bypass is more common on those than humbuckers it seems. I dont think anyone deserves respect you have to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

The tone pot loads the PU just like the vol pot and thus damps the resonant peak. I your case the effective load resistance was increased from 125k to 167k with both pots on 10. The effect on the resonant peak should be visible in simulation.
            I tried it and could hear a difference.
            I remember adding adding a resistor between the ground lug of the tone pot and ground to decrease some loading on the PUP, and increase some high frequency response on my strat. It wasn't drastic, but my perception was that it was noticeable. The weird thing about the resistor value I chose (which as kind of an arbitrary guess if I remember), was that it affected the logarithmic taper in such a way that the tone control almost had little effect from 10 to 1. This was not a huge deal, because I rarely pull the tone off of it's max setting and adjust all other eq type settings to dial in the sound.
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
            X